PDA

View Full Version : Hamster in My Head

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 8:05 AM
In anticipation of this afternoon's heat index hitting somewhere between 105 and 109 (I don't want to know what it is going to feel like in our metal building shop surrounded by black asphalt) we are working 6 to 2 today. So I got up at 4:15 and had my standard two cups of half caf/half decaf. On the way to work I decided I might need a little booster so I picked up a large coffee from Mickey D's. I'm about half way through it and suddenly I feel as if I have a crazed hamster running madly on his little wheel inside my head! :eek: Is there a downer for a java buzz???

Rod Sheridan
07-09-2010, 8:12 AM
Absolutely Belinda, put on the running shoes, do 100 laps of the parking lot in both directions.

I guarantee that the caffeine buzz will be gone.........Rod.

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 8:17 AM
Take 2 Mountain Dews and call me in the morning.

Dr. Mitch

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 8:19 AM
Take 2 Mountain Dews and call me in the morning.

Dr. Mitch

Dr. Mitch, at one point in my life 2 Mountain Dews served as breakfast. Then my heart started acting up and I had to cut back. I'm guessing the hamster will be moving from my head to my heart here shortly!

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 8:20 AM
Absolutely Belinda, put on the running shoes, do 100 laps of the parking lot in both directions.

I guarantee that the caffeine buzz will be gone.........Rod.

Dang, Rod, I left my running shoes at home this morning. It's too bloomin' hot for shoes.

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 8:32 AM
Dr. Mitch, at one point in my life 2 Mountain Dews served as breakfast. Then my heart started acting up and I had to cut back. I'm guessing the hamster will be moving from my head to my heart here shortly!

My vice.... Dew. I don't drink, smoke or do coffee but I do need a Dew twice a day. ....oh, and a heaping pile of lye infested mandarine oranges in the evening.

Hi. My name is Mitch and I'm a Dewahaulic.

Hi, Mitch.

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 8:42 AM
Well there you go, Mitchell! That explains the Avatar. Mixing lye and Dew will melt your face every time! :p

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 9:05 AM
Well there you go, Mitchell! That explains the Avatar. Mixing lye and Dew will melt your face every time! :p

I'm gonna run out for some Muro 128 ointment.

Jason Roehl
07-09-2010, 9:07 AM
Belinda, the secret is Irish coffee. The coffee keeps you awake so that you can enjoy your buzz. :D

Art Mulder
07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd pass on the coffee and make sure I'm getting lots of water.

ps: Mitchell, you'd hate Canada. There is no caffeine in Mt Dew up here.

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 11:22 AM

If there is no caffeine then what's the point?

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 12:18 PM

WHAT?

I'll have to ship a supply ahead of my next sojourn.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-09-2010, 1:28 PM
Several years ago I thought Mt. Dew and Snickers was the breakfast of champions.:eek:

Matt Meiser
07-09-2010, 1:36 PM

So they can laugh at the Americans who get massive caffeine headaches.

Zach England
07-09-2010, 1:41 PM
Is your head rolling around like one of those plastic balls?

John Hart
07-09-2010, 1:50 PM
I wonder if Hamsters in your head is the same as Bullfrogs on your Mind?

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 1:59 PM

I don't know, John, but they are very similar to Bats in your Belfry. I was once told I had snakes in my head. I'm also a little squirrely. Apparently I have a whole menagerie living up there. :eek:

Michael MacDonald
07-09-2010, 2:45 PM
I'm gonna run out for some Muro 128 ointment.

that'll do. or get the drops because they burn...

In college, I used to drop a teabag into a cup of hot coffee, then chase it with metholyptus coughdrops and mountain dew... can't remember why.... oh yes. I was staying up late to study...

so those who like mountain dew, I recommend just trying the metholyptus. not explosive, but darn close.

Bruce Page
07-09-2010, 3:31 PM
Michael, I'm hoping you meant Mentho-Lyptus. :D

Charlie Reals
07-09-2010, 3:51 PM
Michael, I'm hoping you meant Mentho-Lyptus. :D

+1 on that lol. Almost spit out a mouth full of Negro Modello.:D:D

Art Mulder
07-09-2010, 3:54 PM
WHAT?

I'll have to ship a supply ahead of my next sojourn.

Health Canada regulations -- caffeine is only allowed in brown/dark soda, not in others. Don't ask me to explain the history of that one.

That's funnny, as I have a vague recollection of a study a few years back where the drink companies were swearing up and down that the caffeine was just for flavour. (I forget, I think the counter argument was about it being addictive, but I can't find it) So they brought in some Mtn Dew from Canada for some blind tests...

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 4:43 PM
Health Canada regulations -- caffeine is only allowed in brown/dark soda, not in others. Don't ask me to explain the history of that one.

That's funnny, as I have a vague recollection of a study a few years back where the drink companies were swearing up and down that the caffeine was just for flavour. (I forget, I think the counter argument was about it being addictive, but I can't find it) So they brought in some Mtn Dew from Canada for some blind tests...

So . . . do you have Brown Bull instead of Red Bull??

As best I recall, caffeine has no flavor or color (or flavour or colour either). :D

Kent A Bathurst
07-09-2010, 4:48 PM
Dang, Rod, I left my running shoes at home this morning. It's too bloomin' hot for shoes.

No-no-no-no-no. The shoes would glue themselves to the asphalt.

Cool off in the ocean.

Getcher 7' spinning rod, 8# line max (I use 4# or 6# on an ultralight rod and reel just for giggles - I LOVE to see that rod bend in half, and hear the line strip) and yer floating minnow bucket with a couple dozen critters in it. Tybee lighthouse jetty, north side, 3 hours after high tide. Wade out as far as you can without breathing saltwater, and keep going out as the tide falls. Free-line the minnow and heave that sucker as far as you can toward the end of the jetty, and as close to the rocks as you dare (extra tackle in your pocket - you'll leave a lot behind - DAMHIKT).

Speckled trout for dinner. Maybe black drum.

Of course, sometimes there ain't any specks, and sometimes there are tailor blues or spanish mack that just murder the minnow or bite off the line. In that case, you spent 3 hours wading chest-deep in the ocean, looking toward Ireland, which ain't bad. Ain't bad at all.

As Robt Frost said: "One could do worse than be a swinger of birches."

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 4:52 PM
Kent, just thought you might like to know that the wait for a table at the Breakfast Club last Sunday was about 4 hours.

I heard the jelly fish are running right now so I may sit this one out!

Pat Germain
07-09-2010, 5:22 PM

Jeremiah was a bullfrog. Was a good friend of mine.

Tom Winship
07-09-2010, 9:05 PM
Are the hamsters run down yet?

Kent A Bathurst
07-10-2010, 8:30 AM
Kent, just thought you might like to know that the wait for a table at the Breakfast Club last Sunday was about 4 hours.

I heard the jelly fish are running right now so I may sit this one out!

4 hours? Yikes. I'd be a coupla blocks away at Doc's, waiting for things to quiet down.

Take yer spray bottle of vinegar,and get after them specks. Dont' be such a sissy!! :D :D :D

(and no - that's not sexist - that's the same thing I tell my buddy - sorta the same, anyway - slightly different wording)

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2010, 9:36 AM
Are the hamsters run down yet?

Yes, Tom, I'm now back to tortoises in my head.

4 hours? Yikes. I'd be a coupla blocks away at Doc's, waiting for things to quiet down.

Take yer spray bottle of vinegar,and get after them specks. Dont' be such a sissy!! :D :D :D

(and no - that's not sexist - that's the same thing I tell my buddy - sorta the same, anyway - slightly different wording)

I walked into/through a jelly fish once off of Daytona in water just over waist deep. That son of a gun sort of wrapped around my waist. I still have very faint scars to show for it. I am NOT a sissy! :D

Oh, if you are going to talk about Sherman I am not speaking to you.

Kent A Bathurst
07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh, if you are going to talk about Sherman I am not speaking to you.

No - I read about him, and Sheridan (Shennandoah Valley's version of Sherman, and - in terms of battlefield acumen and leadership skills - a lot of similarity with A.P. Hill).

I quoted Bobby Lee - I should get some credit for that :D

'Course - I live on the north bank of Peachtree Creek, where my Yankee antecedants stayed in July, almost exactly 146 years ago. They didn't stay very long, of course - just a coupla days - until John Hood took over for Joe Johnston and invited them across to the south bank ;). North bank littered with us damn Yankees ever since.

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2010, 10:45 AM
North bank littered with us damn Yankees ever since.

And we're STILL hoping y'all will just go back home! :D My Grandpa Luck lost a leg fightin' you Yankees at the battle of Chickamauga. As is obvious, the family still hasn't forgiven you. ;)

Mitchell Andrus
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
And we're STILL hoping y'all will just go back home! :D My Grandpa Luck lost a leg fightin' you Yankees at the battle of Chickamauga. As is obvious, the family still hasn't forgiven you. ;)

As a recent NJ - NC transplant..... I resemble that remark.

Funny, a good 'ol boy told me to go back to NJ with a glint and a smile... I asked him if he wanted me to take my north'un money and spending habits with me. We laughed pretty good at that one.

Kent A Bathurst
07-10-2010, 12:23 PM
As is obvious, the family still hasn't forgiven you.

As some of my born-and-bred Georgia friends say: "The War of Northern Aggression ain't over - the ammo's just on backorder."

EDIT: BTW, My maternal-maternal great-grandmother had a grandfather that spent a number of months in Georgia - as a guest at the Andersonville Hilton. He got back home to what was then known as Bloody Kansas with one of his legs left behind. For anyone to have come out of Andersonville only missing a leg - that was quite an achievement.

The scope and scale of the tragedy of the Civil War is just hard to get my head around - even though I read about it (both sides), have lived in Virginia and Georgia, walk what are sidewalks today but were areas littered with bodies then, visited multiple times the Hallowed Ground at Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, Vicksburg, and on and on - except Shiloh, which I will correct soon enough. I regularly drive on Mechanicsville Highway past Cold Harbor Road outside Richmond and then down through McClellan's poorly-planned-and-worsely(?)-executed Penninsula Campaign's sites..........just simply impossible to get my head around it.

What I don't understand - in my younger years, I could not have cared less about history. In later years, that is a fair portion of what I read. War and conflict included in the book selections - the dichotomy of unbelievably heroic acts and brilliant strategy and tactics, as well as sheer dumb luck, stunning blunders, and miscalculations, all in the middle of what is, at root, insanity. My 4th read of Sherman's and Sheridan's and Hill's bios. I may well go re-read Churchill's next. Why is it that I am drawn to this?

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Is there a downer for a java buzz???

I like alcohol.

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2010, 2:24 PM
As some of my born-and-bred Georgia friends say: "The War of Northern Aggression ain't over - the ammo's just on backorder."

EDIT: BTW, My maternal-maternal great-grandmother had a grandfather that spent a number of months in Georgia - as a guest at the Andersonville Hilton. He got back home to what was then known as Bloody Kansas with one of his legs left behind. For anyone to have come out of Andersonville only missing a leg - that was quite an achievement.

The scope and scale of the tragedy of the Civil War is just hard to get my head around - even though I read about it (both sides), have lived in Virginia and Georgia, walk what are sidewalks today but were areas littered with bodies then, visited multiple times the Hallowed Ground at Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, Vicksburg, and on and on - except Shiloh, which I will correct soon enough. I regularly drive on Mechanicsville Highway past Cold Harbor Road outside Richmond and then down through McClellan's poorly-planned-and-worsely(?)-executed Penninsula Campaign's sites..........just simply impossible to get my head around it.

What I don't understand - in my younger years, I could not have cared less about history. In later years, that is a fair portion of what I read. War and conflict included in the book selections - the dichotomy of unbelievably heroic acts and brilliant strategy and tactics, as well as sheer dumb luck, stunning blunders, and miscalculations, all in the middle of what is, at root, insanity. My 4th read of Sherman's and Sheridan's and Hill's bios. I may well go re-read Churchill's next. Why is it that I am drawn to this?

Actually Kent, I believe our next ammo order will be used for the War of Southern Aggression. You Yankees will just have to wait your turn.

I developed a fascination for the War of Northern Aggression when I was in 7th or 8th grade. When trying to understand large scale battles I just couldn't wrap my head around troop positions, etc. This was before I could Google such things so I spent hours drawing (as best I could) maps, etc., to try to understand troop placement and strategy.

Sorry about Andersonville. I've visited there and it was all I could do not to throw up just thinking about what it must have been like there.

I picked up the following at the library yesterday for some weekend reading . . .
Voice of the Civil War - Chickamauga and The Revolutionary War in the Southern Back Country (James D. Swisher). Ancestors fought in both wars, figure I might as well learn a little more about them.

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2010, 2:26 PM
I like alcohol.

I like alcohol too, Cliff, but the boss doesn't allow it at work at 10 a.m. Go figure!

Kent A Bathurst
07-10-2010, 3:26 PM
...Sorry about Andersonville. I've visited there and it was all I could do not to throw up just thinking about what it must have been like there......

No apology needed. It wasn't you personally, and it wasn't, personally, virtually everyone on the Southern side. They about threw up too. As did I. The Andersonville prisoners were held in nowhere-land to keep them away from the action, but that meant there was no food, and not enough guard troops - many of the atrocities were committed by Union thugs and gangs against their brothers-in-arms. Lord of the Flies type of insanity, in the middle of that giant conflagration. Dear Lord.

Just so happened that a young, "patriotic" kid of 18 or 19 was pretty p****d-off about the Missouri guerrillas raiding Lawrence and surrounds - which was in response to the Kansas Redlegs and Jayhawkers incursions into Missouri, which was a response to Ewings General Order No. 10, which was a response to...., which was a response to...., which was a response to the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854, which was a response to the Missouri Compromise of 1820, which was a response to the Three-Fifths Compromise in the Constitution.

That poor, hard-working farm kid living a couple miles off the future path of the Santa Fe Trail in the middle of the prairies couldn't possibly have understood what he was in the middle of, nor why - politicians "compromising" through the years, from Philadelphia to DC, with John Brown thrown in the Lawrence mix just to really aggravate the pro-south Missouri people.

The kid just knew that Quantrill and those rascally James and Younger boys had torched Lawrence and killed a couple hundred citizens . So he did what he thought he had to do - signed up to fight the war. Ended up in Andersonville. Lived to farm again in Kansas. He pushed the gene pool down my way. Many millions of the exact same story on both sides of that war. Mine is not significant in the least - I've just always liked the hook to Bleeding Kansas, John Brown, the James-Younger Gang in their impetuous, formative years [hmmmm...maybe I'll break out my Jesse bios after AP Hill], Andersonville, the Santa Fe Trail, tall-grass prairies [hmmmm...maybe I'll get PrairieErth out instead - that's the area the kid was from], etc. - cuts a pretty wide swath through American history.

Life is strange. Like the original New World Bathurst that was a criminal on the lam from the British police and got on a ship in the early 1700's to what is now Canada, just one step ahead of the law. The statute of limitations has run out by now, I'd think. At least, they let me into Britain when I go there.

Rod Sheridan
07-10-2010, 7:27 PM

Belinda, that was funny.

As a Canadian I have been interested in your Civil War for some time.

I made a trip to Shiloh, and plan on getting to Gettysburg next year.

At Shiloh during a tour and discussion I was mistaken for a Yankee due to my accent, and received quite the verbal dressing down for the assumed actions of my ancestors.

I wasn't sure what to think and spoke to the tour leader about it afterwards, as I wasn't sure if the person was joking or serious. I was made to understand that some people still harbour strong feelings about this war, even though it's been about a century and a half.

Very intriguing from a Canadian perspective as we don't have that sort of historical event, (at least I can't think of one).

I did visit the local Confederate cemetery in Mount Jackson Virginia when I was down there working at the end of June.

Fascinating history, hope to visit more locations in the next few years, Regards, Rod.

Charlie Reals
07-10-2010, 7:58 PM
[QUOTE]
I wasn't sure what to think and spoke to the tour leader about it afterwards, as I wasn't sure if the person was joking or serious. I was made to understand that some people still harbour strong feelings about this war, even though it's been about a century and a half.

Rod, to say the least that is an understatement. In doing my genealogy I discovered the county in Alabama (Cullman) where all my kin were from was named for a yankee colonel who bought vast tracks of land then sold it to Yankee settlers mostly from Ohio. My ancestor and the namesake of the southern side, in fact was a yankee who bought land. Oh my my , some of my fine southern kin got plumb indignent over that :D:D:D oh well, they can chew on it lol
In fact one grandpa was 1st US artillery and another was Hardys batallion from Alabama. Both ended up in Cullman county

Jim Rimmer
07-10-2010, 8:29 PM
We lived in Sherman, Texas for about 20 years. It was named after Col. Sidney Sherman of Texas Revolution War fame (He coined the phrase "Remember the Alamo"). As we toured the South the docents at the various locations would always ask where we where from and the answer Sherman, Texas was quickly followed with "It's not named after William Tecumseh Sherman" and that would usually lower the eyebrows a little.

Kent A Bathurst
07-10-2010, 10:17 PM
....Very intriguing from a Canadian perspective as we don't have that sort of historical event, (at least I can't think of one)...Fascinating history, hope to visit more locations in the next few years..

Ahhh....ummmm.....welllll..............Rod - you could always tour the White House. You know - the building we reconstructed after the...ahem...unfortunate fire of 1814. Kind of a Canadian historical event, eh?:D

Tom Winship
07-10-2010, 10:31 PM
My great grandfather left Atlanta and came to Texas in about 1865. He purchased a section of land north of Abilene. My father was born there. My GGF's family stayed in Atlanta. He had a sister who married a man named Woodruff. Woodruff purchased the formula for Coca Cola. Their son, Robert Winship Woodruff, was Chairman and CEO until his death in the 1980's I think. No heirs, all to charity.

Meanwhile, I got $13.xx in production royalty from the Texas land. Sure glad my GGF came to Texas so I would get all that royalty money.

Belinda Barfield
07-11-2010, 8:18 AM
As a Canadian I have been interested in your Civil War for some time.

At Shiloh during a tour and discussion I was mistaken for a Yankee due to my accent, and received quite the verbal dressing down for the assumed actions of my ancestors.

Rod, I'm sure I won't get any replies to this post:rolleyes: but here goes. If you are interested in the War please take time to learn the history, not just what gets spouted by tour guides, etc.

I wouldn't say that many people still harbor strong feelings, although some do I'm sure, but we do remember. Right or wrong, mistake or not, we don't need to forget this war, or any other war for that matter. Most of my family came to Georgia by way of North Carolina from Scotland. Five of my ancestors fought in the War and I am proud that they believed in something strongly enough that they were willing to die for it. The military experts can correct me on this but it seems the War of Northern Agression was one of the last wars in which both sides were fighting to WIN.

As for keeping the memories alive, for whatever reason most of my mother's family is big on oral tradition (possibly because most of them never learned to read or write in the mountains of North Carolina). My grandfather told me stories about the WoNA, and subesequent wars, that were told to him by family members. Story telling was our entertainment. No Playstation, no Ipod, no PC. He had a television but it was rarely turned on. My parents don't tell the stories, and I have no children, so the last generation of family storytellers is gone. Gone with him also is a link to a past to which I felt strongly connected.

My great grandfather left Atlanta and came to Texas in about 1865. He purchased a section of land north of Abilene. My father was born there. My GGF's family stayed in Atlanta. He had a sister who married a man named Woodruff. Woodruff purchased the formula for Coca Cola. Their son, Robert Winship Woodruff, was Chairman and CEO until his death in the 1980's I think. No heirs, all to charity.

Here is Mr. Woodruff's story. http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/fire_forest/sidebars/robert_woodruff.html

My SO spent three months a number of years ago building very nice hunting dog accomodations at the plantation.

My grandpa always said that anyone with money and gumption left the south after the devastation of the War. Most of the south was a wasteland. Those who stayed were either dirt poor and didn't have a choice, or hard core dedicated to surviving - mule headed, stubborn, unwilling to admit defeat, even during the nightmare that was Reconstruction.

I stop to think sometimes that I am literally made from the dirt of Georgia. The minerals formed my bones and run in my veins. The food I ate when growing up was grown on our land, the milk I drank was fresh from a neighboring cousin's dairy. Today I'm sure some of those minerals have been replaced by those from California and Florida, Mexico, Paraguay, Uruguay, and the list goes on. My food comes from foriegn lands and some of my water comes from a bottle.

Times change, and going back to Mitchell's thread, I'm sure they are better now in many respects. I can't necessarily say that will be so for the next generation into which we seem to be breeding a decided lack of communication skills, common courtesy, respect for anything or anyone, and a sense of personal responsibility. I'm guessing they aren't going to be the best stewards of the earth. LOL . . . now I sound like my grandpa. :)

Charlie Reals
07-11-2010, 9:48 AM
Rod, I'm sure I won't get any replies to this post:rolleyes: but here goes. If you are interested in the War please take time to learn the history, not just what gets spouted by tour guides, etc.

I wouldn't say that many people still harbor strong feelings, although some do I'm sure, but we do remember. Right or wrong, mistake or not, we don't need to forget this war, or any other war for that matter. Most of my family came to Georgia by way of North Carolina from Scotland. Five of my ancestors fought in the War and I am proud that they believed in something strongly enough that they were willing to die for it. The military experts can correct me on this but it seems the War of Northern Agression was one of the last wars in which both sides were fighting to WIN.

As for keeping the memories alive, for whatever reason most of my mother's family is big on oral tradition (possibly because most of them never learned to read or write in the mountains of North Carolina). My grandfather told me stories about the WoNA, and subesequent wars, that were told to him by family members. Story telling was our entertainment. No Playstation, no Ipod, no PC. He had a television but it was rarely turned on. My parents don't tell the stories, and I have no children, so the last generation of family storytellers is gone. Gone with him also is a link to a past to which I felt strongly connected.

Here is Mr. Woodruff's story. http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/fire_forest/sidebars/robert_woodruff.html

My SO spent three months a number of years ago building very nice hunting dog accomodations at the plantation.

My grandpa always said that anyone with money and gumption left the south after the devastation of the War. Most of the south was a wasteland. Those who stayed were either dirt poor and didn't have a choice, or hard core dedicated to surviving - mule headed, stubborn, unwilling to admit defeat, even during the nightmare that was Reconstruction.

I stop to think sometimes that I am literally made from the dirt of Georgia. The minerals formed my bones and run in my veins. The food I ate when growing up was grown on our land, the milk I drank was fresh from a neighboring cousin's dairy. Today I'm sure some of those minerals have been replaced by those from California and Florida, Mexico, Paraguay, Uruguay, and the list goes on. My food comes from foriegn lands and some of my water comes from a bottle.

Times change, and going back to Mitchell's thread, I'm sure they are better now in many respects. I can't necessarily say that will be so for the next generation into which we seem be breeding a decided lack of communication skills, common courtesy, respect for anything or anyone, and a sense of personal responsibility. I'm guessing they aren't going to be the best stewards of the earth. LOL . . . now I sound like my grandpa. :)

Belinda, I couldn't agree more with that statement. I would though go one step further and suggest while searching for the truth Rod should make sure of where in this country he is when he seeks it out. History in this country is taught far differently in schools depending on where one is. ;)
Charlie
btw, my folks mighta been trudgin from NC to Ga. with yours but most of em went onto Ala. then some went back to Ga. They are still there down around Rome.

Kent A Bathurst
07-11-2010, 11:51 AM
....... They are still there down around Rome.

Charile - actually, Rome is "up", not "down" - right Belinda? :D

Charlie Reals
07-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Charile - actually, Rome is "up", not "down" - right Belinda? :D

Not from where I am :D

Belinda Barfield
07-11-2010, 12:36 PM
btw, my folks mighta been trudgin from NC to Ga. with yours but most of em went onto Ala. then some went back to Ga. They are still there down around Rome.

Charlie, some of my folks ended up in Alabama (Rock Mills) as well, my ancestor John Frederick Lehman being one of them. He was a potter. I'm not sure how well known he was then, but several yeras ago the Antiques Roadshow guys loved him! :)

Charlie Reals
07-11-2010, 9:26 PM
Charlie, some of my folks ended up in Alabama (Rock Mills) as well, my ancestor John Frederick Lehman being one of them. He was a potter. I'm not sure how well known he was then, but several yeras ago the Antiques Roadshow guys loved him! :)
This be the jug http://www.kfauctions.com/index.asp geeze louise $100,000.

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2010, 9:02 AM
This be the jug http://www.kfauctions.com/index.asp geeze louise $100,000.

Geeze Louise is right. I have to tell this story. When the figural jug originally showed up on AR I was watching that episode. The appraiser pointed out that the lapel buttons were marked J. Lehman, and stated he wasn't sure of the significance of that. I swear, I literally started jumping up and down in the living room yelling, "I know, I know!" My SO, who was on the phone at the time, thought I had lost my mind. After the show I explained that I thought the jug was one of Grandfather Lehman's. I got the "Yeah, right, like that could happen." IIRC, the jug showed up again on one of the Treasures of AR (or something like that) episodes and that's when I found out it was sold at auction, and the price. The only other known existing Lehman figural jug is owned by the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. A couple of years ago it was on tour with the Alabama Folk Pottey Exhibit. Sorry, no one in my family has ever been "famous". Just a tiny gloat!

http://antiquesandthearts.com/2006-10-23__13-21-20.html&page=2

http://michaelklinepottery.blogspot.com/2008/12/going-down-to-georgia.html

The blogspot site is interesting in that it mentions J. Lehman's death. Family history has him being robbed and shot on the train to Stockton. This has never been corroborated. Interestingly, one branch of the family insists that he committed suicide and the family covered it up with the train robbery story.

Charlie Reals
07-12-2010, 9:28 AM
The blogspot site is interesting in that it mentions J. Lehman's death. Family history has him being robbed and shot on the train to Stockton. This has never been corroborated. Interestingly, one branch of the family insists that he committed suicide and the family covered it up with the train robbery story.

ahhhh yes belinda, the infamous family legends lol. I got into quite a bit of trouble with my southern kin as I was the first to really research the family history and in the course I managed to show most of the story to be just that, a bedtime story. No murders, no Cherokee princess, or big farm stolen by the yankees. etc. At one point an uncle threatened to sue me lol.
I saw that jug on ars, I think some of that stuff was made to scare kids with lol it is ugly but at that price who cares. Are you sure there isn't some in a family attic?

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2010, 9:53 AM
I saw that jug on ars, I think some of that stuff was made to scare kids with lol it is ugly but at that price who cares. Are you sure there isn't some in a family attic?

One theory is that the scary figural jugs were used to hold things not to be consumed. The figures were to warn illiterate slaves that what was in the jug was dangerous.

Family attic? Let's see, the last time I checked the family attic it contained wedding pictures and china from a marriage that failed (mine), several very large stuffed animals that a high school boyfriend won for me at the county fair, my favorite size three jeans from high school that will NEVER fit again and are probably rotted by now . . . no, no ugly family pottery. There was a jug that was used to hold the door open at my great grandmother's house that was probably one of Lehman's, though not figural, as J. Lehman was her grandfather and supposedly she received it as a wedding gift. It probably got thrown in the city dump after her death because everyone thought it was worthless. :rolleyes: