PDA

View Full Version : PC Build #2

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-08-2010, 11:52 PM
I decided to do a 2nd prototype. Since the last PC prototype ended up as my permanent shop computer I decided to 2nd one and see if I could do one with a little less emphasis on the legs.

This one is built 100% out of solid Poplar. I wanted to do a test piece out of Poplar because I had tons of it left over from a household project. My main goal hear was to come up with a system for attaching the top, Base, and bottom in a way that would be kind to wood expansion and easy to take down.

The top and botom have a 3/8" rabbit that sits in the center (base)section. This rabbit lets the top move 1/4" in all directions.

A small threaded brass insert allows me to tie a 1/8" threaded rod to the top, then through the base and a hole in the top. The small angled legs go over top of the rod and a small nut holds it all together.

Things to change in the next pass:
-------------------------------------------------
I did internal 4mm dominos on each miter joint on the base. Even these were a little too large for the 3/4" walls. I had one blowout during assembly. So thing I will do something diffent on the next build.

I am using a Zoltac 9300 Mini ITX board and a micro ATX power supply. With a wireless keyboard these make the perfect meda machine. As a matter of fact this one is going in my home theater as is. My next build will be for a larger system. It will house a I7 and monster gtx295 video as well as removable hard drive and blueray burner. This means a larger case and more creative cooling.

David Cefai
07-09-2010, 1:01 AM
Nice work! If this is to be a multimedia machine test the temperatures carefully since you will hardly get any cooling via the case itself.

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-09-2010, 1:49 AM
It runs very cool under full load. The big hole in the bottom of the case is a slimline fan. It sucks air from the bottom and blows it out the access port that runs the length of the back of the case.

With a PC of this type a single fan that create a cross breeze is sufficiant.

On a larger system running a 1000Watt power supply and monster graphic card you need more.

I am just getting back into wood working as I have been doing mostly plastic work over the past 4 years. I have built monster cases out of acrylic.

Steve Kolbe
07-09-2010, 8:44 AM
Is this thing going to sit on the floor? If so, I always disable all my undermount fans if my machines have to sit on the floor since I hate all the extra dust and hair that gets shoved into the box. My computers are not intended to be vacuums!

Nice lookin' box, though!

Bill Huber
07-09-2010, 8:50 AM
My first computer in 1982 was in a wooden box, nothing as nice as yours, it was all wood and nailed together.

The only problem back then was noise from it, you could not get a radio within 10 foot of it or all you would here on the radio is noise.

That is a nice looking case.