PDA

View Full Version : Monster mustard gloat

Jon Behnke
07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Ordered my new monster mustard on Monday, arrived today. Awesome service from Sean at ToolNut. Was on the fence as to which to buy, the Jet 1642 or the Powermatic, couldn't pass up the sale on the Powermatic. Have to get a plug tomorrow so haven't been able to turn it on, can't wait!

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Congrats on your new PM 3520b. A great lathe for sure. I know you will put it to good use!

Aaron Wingert
07-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I can hardly control my jealousy. Congrats on the new yellow beast!

Sean Ackerman NY
07-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Ordered my new monster mustard on Monday, arrived today. Awesome service from Sean at ToolNut. Was on the fence as to which to buy, the Jet 1642 or the Powermatic, couldn't pass up the sale on the Powermatic. Have to get a plug tomorrow so haven't been able to turn it on, can't wait!
Heck yeah Jon! Thanks for posting the pictures up, now show us some results:eek:

Karl Card
07-09-2010, 12:00 AM
you know youd think pm would make one a ketchup color.

Very glad for you, nice lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Congrats on your new lathe.

Dave MacArthur
07-09-2010, 1:56 AM
Very nice purchase, and surprisingly fast delivery! Congrats!

William Hutchinson
07-09-2010, 5:06 AM
Very fine choice. Is there anything to mention about setting up the lathe that might interest someone who is expecting a delivery?

Donny Lawson
07-09-2010, 6:52 AM
Man that looks PURDY.I looked at those last weekend at Woodcraft.It was a good sale but I will wait a little longer.Maybe a good X-mas present for myself.In the meantime I hope you enjoy yours.Let's see some shavings on it.
Donny

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-09-2010, 7:05 AM
Well done Jon,
Mine was delivered earlier this week and is still in the crate exactly where we sat it upon delivery. July is not normally a crazy month in our business but "Thank God" we are crushed with work. I don't see day light, weekday or weekend for two weeks. I'll get it to the shop sooner or later. Besides, seeing that big box gives me something to look forward to when we have our work behind us. Good luck with yours and be safe.
fmr

Tony De Masi
07-09-2010, 7:59 AM
Congrats and welcome to the club..

Tony

David E Keller
07-09-2010, 8:06 AM
Very fine choice. Is there anything to mention about setting up the lathe that might interest someone who is expecting a delivery?

There is a website full of useful tips about the PM lathe... Check out mustardmonster.com.

Congrats on the new lathe, Jon, and welcome to the mustard club.

Sean Ackerman NY
07-09-2010, 9:10 AM
you know youd think pm would make one a ketchup color.

Very glad for you, nice lathe.

Karl, that is an idea, so cool, worth all of us banding together and presenting it to Powermatic. Maybe a xmas special in a contest?

gary Zimmel
07-09-2010, 9:15 AM
Congrats on the new mustard monster Jon.
Looking forward to seeing the first turnings from it.

Paul Douglass
07-09-2010, 9:17 AM
I think this is the last day of the sale on Jets and Powermatics. My finger has been hovering over the "order" button on my keyboard for several days, but I just can't afford to do it right new, DARN!

Congrats on yours.

bob svoboda
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Congrats and welcome to the MM club. On the down side, that's one disgustingly clean 3520B :D

Trevor Howard
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Have to get a plug tomorrow so haven't been able to turn it on, can't wait!

Poor excuse, just stick the wires into the receptacle :D

Congrats now I look forward to seeing the results.

bob svoboda
07-09-2010, 10:30 AM
One friend is good, two friends better!;)

Cody Colston
07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
I hate you. :mad:

JK, that's a seriously fine lathe and one I've coveted for a few years now. Congratulations.

Terry Gerros
07-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Jon,

If I didn't already have one of those in my shop, I might be jealous. An excellent lathe, love the movable headstock. Enjoy!

Terry

Sean Ackerman NY
07-09-2010, 2:34 PM
I think this is the last day of the sell on Jets and Powermatics. My finger has been hovering over the "order" button on my keyboard for several days, but I just can't afford to do it right new, DARN!

Congrats on yours.

Paul, just to let you know, since I came on to work for my Father about 2-1/2 years ago or so, this is the cheapest price I think I've been able to sell the Powermatic 3520b at. Just a heads up, I don't know if we'll be able to get down to this range again for awhile.

Chip Sutherland
07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the club. First tip I can give you is to remove the PW name plate and put in on the wall. It'll get in the way when you start getting serious.

Jon Behnke
07-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Got the plug and turned the first bowl tonight, it's really smooth. I have a Nova 3000 that I've turned on for the last year, nice lathe but not near as stable. Set up wasn't too bad, my step son helped. The bed is REALLY heavy! Took the headstock, tool rest and off the bed, turned the bed over, attached the legs, turned that right side up, slid it into position, putting the headstock back on is a little tricky. Attached a plug and I was up and running. Didn't have a chance to get a picture of the new bowl, I'll post that tomorrow. Nothing fancy, small cherry bowl. Hopefully I can find a new home for the Nova and recoup some of the cost...need to get a bigger chuck.

Kirk Miller
07-10-2010, 2:13 AM
I guess my day will come. I am in the infant stages of having a new house built which will include an attached heated shop (approx 600 sf). The biting cold of Alaskan Winters are hard on me. When it is all finished I will be able to slip some sweats on and go play.
When, and not until my current house is sold I will be purchasing my next lathe. I am on the fence between the Jet 1642, and Powermatic 3520 with bed extension. I would really like to skip both of those and move up to a Serious, or Rubust, but I am sure common sense will prevail.

Roger Chandler
07-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Poor excuse, just stick the wires into the receptacle :D

Congrats now I look forward to seeing the results.

That be be the best way I know to fry a circuit board :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Paul Douglass
07-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Paul, just to let you know, since I came on to work for my Father about 2-1/2 years ago or so, this is the cheapest price I think I've been able to sell the Powermatic 3520b at. Just a heads up, I don't know if we'll be able to get down to this range again for awhile.

I know you are correct, but I don't have the money right now and I don't like being in debt (I know that is un-American!). I'm pretty old fashion.;)