PDA

View Full Version : Just had to share my new bandsaw

Jim Hoti
07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Ok, it's a wee bit of a gloat.....It's a 20-inch Crescent Machine Company band saw built prior to 1905 (doesn't have the 1905 patent date in the casting). Has a flat belt pulley, but will restore to run from a v-pulley. Is complete, and I had to trade a working pushmower for it. Got it from the Granddaughter of the original purchaser. Babbitt bearings in good shape. Can't wait to get 'er running!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/farmall/IMG_0376.jpg

Joe Wiliams
07-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Those old bandsaws look so cool:cool: Congrats!:)

Van Huskey
07-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Those old bandsaws look so cool:cool: Congrats!:)

Cool AND scary!

Great score.

Tom Rick
07-09-2010, 6:43 AM
Love it! Want to trade it along for a couple of used routers????

I have joked that the new shop should really be a band saw museum. Take a look over at OWWM. There is loads of information there and guys who know these machines:

http://www.owwm.com/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=224

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/9356-A.jpg

Bill Huber
07-09-2010, 8:42 AM
Well now that you have it I guess you will be adding Carter guides, Carter Quick Release and a link belt.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:
And I almost forgot, a new DraftMaster fence....

Make sure you post some shots when you get it done, that is a great looking old machine.

Great find.....

george wilson
07-09-2010, 8:49 AM
They look scary,but at another forum years ago,users of these unguarded saws swear that a broken blade just pops loose and NEVER gets tangled in the wheels. They were using some BIG saws,too. Personally,I'd not like the wind and dust they would make. Must be a job to get a vacuum system on one of those!!

Even with all their stories,I'd be nervous about a tangled blade ripping me up!

glenn bradley
07-09-2010, 9:44 AM
That thing looks suh-weet. Please keep us updated as you go.

Gary Muto
07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Blade changes seem like they would be easy.

Jim Hoti
07-09-2010, 9:18 PM
with my 1909 3 HP Vertical Stover YB Gas Engine I am also restoring. After all, it is a flat belt pulley. The Band saw is pretty light at 300 pounds....the Stover weighs in at close to 700!

I figure on taking this thing apart and giving it a good going over. Wheels need new tires, guide does need replacement....hmmm, Carter guides would be nice!

Bruce Page
07-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I agree with Van, it's very cool and a little scary!

What is the lower "sprocket" pulley for? :confused:

Jim Hoti
07-10-2010, 1:41 PM
Well, since I didn't see how it was set up, I think it was an agricultural type link belt that was hooked to a smaller sprocket on the motor to eliminate the slippage associated with a flat belt. Is not factory. That's the only non-factory piece on it (other than the wood rear table). Originally just had the flat belt pulley on that side. Scary? No, just one to be a wee bit watchful around. I have seen various blade guards built, so I'll have to see. Right now I just have it soaking with penetrating oil on all the screws. It should come apart fairly easily.

Bruce Page
07-10-2010, 1:57 PM
Thanks Jim.
It’s always fun to step back in time to a day when they didn’t try to build idiot proof machinery.