PDA

View Full Version : I was curious... Peeleing a Mandarine Orange

Mitchell Andrus
07-08-2010, 9:13 PM
I've always wondered how something as delicate as a wedge of an orange was peeled.

So.... I Googled it. Close enough for me:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080103124909AAVRFzL

The oranges are scalded in hot water to get the peel loosened up, then the remainder is soaked in lye to remove the albedo and membranes (white stuff between peel and slices). Then they are rinsed in water a few times. What's left is neat little slices. And hopefully not too many chemicals. :-P

As far as size and shape, they are naturally shaped similarly, and are very probably harvested at a consistent time so that the resulting fruit pieces look very similar.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2010, 9:27 PM
And hopefully not too many chemicals.

Gee....thanks Mitch. Eating my wife's fruit salad will never be the same!:rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Gee....thanks Mitch. Eating my wife's fruit salad will never be the same!:rolleyes:

Really thanks,

Eating any fruit salad will never happen again.:eek:

jim

Mitchell Andrus
07-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Really thanks,

Eating any fruit salad will never happen again.:eek:

jim

....welcome guys.... Next - SAUSAGE!

Rich Engelhardt
07-09-2010, 6:54 AM
Next - SAUSAGE!

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I love my Brauts w/big chunks of Vidallia & Jimmy Dean's!

Please, pick on something nasty like goose liver!

;)

:D

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 7:29 AM
Really Mitchell???? Did you have to ruin mandarin oranges for me? I was in the middle of eating my fruit salad for breakfast, seriously. PLEASE leave the sausage alone . . . put the keyboard down and step away. Here you go, here's a nice fuzzy dust bunny. Now go sit in the corner and play. :D

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 8:37 AM
You want maybe I should tell you what's in Mountain Dew?

Jeff Monson
07-09-2010, 11:07 AM

PLEASE DONT GO THERE!!!!! Its my morning coffee for gosh sakes.

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 11:21 AM

You had to make me look it up didn't you? You knew I couldn't resist . . . The Dew is some bad stuff.

David Weaver
07-09-2010, 11:33 AM
You had to make me look it up didn't you? You knew I couldn't resist . . . The Dew is some bad stuff.

I think when you pee it back out, it takes some liquified tooth material with it (ok, not literally, but...). There was a segment in the local paper here about trouble with mt dew down in southwest PA and especially in WV. Dentists were saying it's one of the worst things you can do for your teeth, but I can't remember what it was about it that made it so.

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I think when you pee it back out, it takes some liquified tooth material with it (ok, not literally, but...). There was a segment in the local paper here about trouble with mt dew down in southwest PA and especially in WV. Dentists were saying it's one of the worst things you can do for your teeth, but I can't remember what it was about it that made it so.

It's the citric acid. Eats the enamel right off the teeth. Oh, and the high fructose corn syrup. It's a perfect mix - with the enamel gone the corn syrup just jumps right in and starts a cavity.

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
It's the citric acid. Eats the enamel right off the teeth.

So I'm guessing orange juice is bad too.

Two of my favorites - I even mix them together - NUTS.

I guess I'll have to go back to Coca-Cola/bacon smoothies.

David Weaver
07-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Orange juice has to be bad for your teeth. Too much sugar and acid in it.

I remember seeing somewhere not that long ago that dried fruit is also horrible for your teeth because of the concentration of sugar and acid - worse for teeth than eating refined sugar.

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Everything in moderation, gentlemen, everything in moderation.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2010, 12:34 PM

In Canada, not caffeine as I learned after spending a week in Toronto for work several years ago when I was drinking a LOT of Mt. Dew. :eek:

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 1:04 PM
... when I was drinking a LOT of Mt. Dew. :eek:

No hamsters in your head?

Horton Brasses
07-09-2010, 1:48 PM
So when I was a teenager I worked in a fast food place (Taco Bell-a lot more fun than one should have at work). We used to make what we called Turbo Dew. We used the soda fountain brixer (sp?) which separates the syrup from the seltzer and filled the bottom of a cup with straight Dew syrup, then mix with regular normal strength dew. Voila, Turbo Dew. We would then line up garbage cans down the line and do hurdles and other such nonsense. Alternate variations of this were straight syrup shots and dew syrup mixed with orange soda.

I am glad I very rarely drink soda anymore.

-Orion

Art Mulder
07-09-2010, 3:57 PM
In Canada, not caffeine as I learned after spending a week in Toronto for work several years ago when I was drinking a LOT of Mt. Dew. :eek:

Hmmm, I bet you were a bundle of cheerfulness that week... or did you find out quickly enough to avoid the caffeine headaches and withdrawal?

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 4:05 PM
Hmmm, I bet you were a bundle of cheerfulness that week... or did you find out quickly enough to avoid the caffeine headaches and withdrawal?

Years ago while I was still young and brave, and didn't know about caffeine addiction, I took my 6 year old nephew and 4 year old niece (by marriage) to Disney World for a week. I can't remember why I didn't drink my usual morning coffee for the first two or three days, but I can assure you that the Magic Kingdom WAS NOT the happiest place on earth!

Jim Rimmer
07-09-2010, 5:07 PM
When my daughter was a newlywed and working with her husband in their business, she thought she would help him improve his health by making decaf coffee (without telling him). After a couple of days he began to complain about headaches so she just as stealthily went back to regular coffee and the headaches went away. He never knew until a few years later.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2010, 5:15 PM

Oh, no. I couldn't figure out why I was getting them. Back then I didn't drink coffee either. Then about 3 months later Dateline NBC had a big story on caffeine and mentioned this. I was ticked!

Now that I think about it I was only there Sunday afternoon-Wednesday. Unfortunately it was the week of our Thanksgiving (thanks for letting us put caffine in our Mt. Dew.) I was basically ordered to go by one PM while another had scheduled me to be in Nashville the week before. The company ended up flying LOML (not too long after we started dating) down to see me in Nashville and I flew from there to Toronto. Then I got to fight the Wednesday-night-before-Thanksgiving travel crush on the way home, which wasn't until like 10 at night because he waited so long to schedule me that I couldn't get a decent flight. So yeah, I was in a great mood. ;)

Pat Germain
07-09-2010, 5:16 PM
Years ago while I was still young and brave, and didn't know about caffeine addiction, I took my 6 year old nephew and 4 year old niece (by marriage) to Disney World for a week. I can't remember why I didn't drink my usual morning coffee for the first two or three days, but I can assure you that the Magic Kingdom WAS NOT the happiest place on earth!

Until recently, almost all the coffee at Walt Disney World was Nescafe'. Blech! I really enjoy coffee in the morning, but every time I filled my mug with that mud, it made me wonder why I bothered.

By the way, it's really not that hard to peel your own wedges from oranges or tangerines for salads. I learned how to do it from a cooking show.

And fresh-squeezed orange juice isn't nearly as sweet as the stuff in the carton or the tube. FCOJ (frozen concentrated orange juice) ends up being much sweeter even after you add water. And the stuff in the carton is just FCOJ with the water added for you. That's what it means when the label says, "From Concentrate".

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 5:18 PM
By the way, it's really not that hard to peel your own wedges from oranges or tangerines for salads. I learned how to do it from a cooking show.

I have a confession, I can't stand whatever the membrane thingies are around orange wedges. For my entire life I have painstakingly removed them. Oh, and I only eat navel oranges.

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 6:20 PM
I have a confession, I can't stand whatever the membrane thingies are around orange wedges. For my entire life I have painstakingly removed them.

We have GOT to be related.

Rick Fisher
07-10-2010, 2:08 AM
The great thing about the food dye " Yellow #5 " which is made from Coal tar, is that if you mix it with "Brilliant Blue FCF " food dye, which also contains coal tar and at one time was simply " industrial waste " .. is that if you mix them together, you can get some lovely shades of green .. :D

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2010, 9:37 AM
The great thing about the food dye " Yellow #5 " which is made from Coal tar, is that if you mix it with "Brilliant Blue FCF " food dye, which also contains coal tar and at one time was simply " industrial waste " .. is that if you mix them together, you can get some lovely shades of green .. :D

In your food, or on your face???