PDA

View Full Version : Interlocked captive rings

Donny Lawson
07-08-2010, 9:02 PM
I'm ready to make something with captive rings but if I wanted to interlock them how would I do that? Any Tutorials on this?I've never made captive rings before so explain it easy. Thanks,Donny

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2010, 9:18 PM
There is a special hit squad with a contract on anybody who reveals the secret......but if I was doing it. I would turn both rings on the object...say the stem of a goblet.....and then I'd carefully break one...interlock them and glue the broken one back together.

And with that....I'm outta here....:rolleyes:

Paul Douglass
07-08-2010, 9:20 PM
Oh, Ken, watch your back now!

Bruce Pratt
07-08-2010, 9:22 PM
Two choices: hand carve the interlocking rings or make two captive rings, break one along the grain and reglue (with CA). For the second option, when you make the rings, be sure their inner diameter is sufficient so that the ring you are going to reglue can fit between the first ring and the center cylinder of the piece. When breaking the ring, make a small cut with a razor blade at each of the the intended break points (usually about 180 degrees apart). Wrap the ring in some soft cloth or paper towels (to prevent tool marks) and break the ring with two pairs of pliers (or glass breaking pliers if you have them). When regluing the ring, you may need an extra pair of hands to get both breaks properly aligned.

------------

Bruce Pratt

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2010, 9:25 PM
Donny,

I did it one time on a engraved glass/wood wedding goblet for my daughter and her husband. I got lucky...the ring broke in one place and I was able to spring it apart interlock it without breaking it in a 2nd place. Then, I sprung the break open just enough to put some glue into the break.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-08-2010, 9:44 PM
Be sure you tell whomever you give it to, that it is not a puzzle, and the object is NOT how to get the ring off of the stem. :eek:

Karl Card
07-09-2010, 12:07 AM
I have a brand new captive ring tool that I have never used yet. I will do a search for a tutorial but in the meantime does anyone know of a good striaght to the point tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks,

Leo Van Der Loo
07-09-2010, 3:34 AM
Make one or two extra rings, especially if you never done this before.
Don't make them too small, but very big doesn't look good either IMO.
When you have turned and sanded the rings look where the grain is across the ring and where it will break easy, you don't have to break the ring into two pieces either unless they are very thick.
So break the ring at this spot, then carefully twist it open till the other ring slips through the gap, then add a little CA to that break and let it dry, don't put too much CA on it, it will be strong enough and invisible.

William Hutchinson
07-09-2010, 4:53 AM
I have a brand new captive ring tool that I have never used yet. I will do a search for a tutorial but in the meantime does anyone know of a good striaght to the point tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks,

You can give this http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Do-a-Captive-Ring-Out-of-Spindle-Turning-302209145 video a look.

Donny Lawson
07-09-2010, 6:45 AM
William,
Thanks for posting that link. It sure helps alot for us newby ring turners.I will work with one of them this weekend if it cools off a little in the shop.I just cannot work well in 100 degree plus heat.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2010, 7:28 AM
I have not tried captured rings yet. Looking forward to seeing photos of your results!

Robert McGowen
07-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Remember to sand the rings before it is too late. Just before the rings come loose, stop and completely sand the ring as far around both sides as you can. Then cut the ring loose. Before you turn the stem down, use it to sand the inside just cut part of the ring. Wrap your sandpaper, with a little overlap, around the stem. You can use a rubber band or tape or glue or whatever to hold it together. While holding the ring in your hand, turn on your lathe and basically use the stem of the goblet as a sanding drum in order to do the backside of the rings. Good luck!

Donny Lawson
07-09-2010, 5:21 PM
Robert, thanks and hopefully I will remember that sanding step.I should have something done over the weekend.
Donny