PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Mguture hardwood?

Ben Richardson
07-08-2010, 1:07 PM
I picked up a turning block at Rocker. The label said it was "Mguture". At least I think that is what it said. The writing on the label was not very clear. It appears to be a dark brown wood. Has any one heard of this wood?

Tony De Masi
07-08-2010, 1:48 PM
Never heard of it and neither has Google. At least the way you have spelled it.

Tony

John Hart
07-08-2010, 2:20 PM
Just some options:
Mopane
Mai Kair
Makore
Mopani
Movingui

Ben Richardson
07-08-2010, 5:29 PM
I tried Google before I posted the message here. The writing on the block is clear enough to see all the letters except the middle letter. I think it is a T but all the variations I try come up blank. It's probably someones local name for something we know.

wes murphy
07-08-2010, 8:56 PM
I was browsing thru o new wood website and ran across this description of the wood in question. Found it at http://www.amazonexotichardwoods.com.

Leadwood / Mgurure
Scientific name: Combretum schumanii
Description: Heartwood is dark brown, sometimes nearly black, with straight to interlocked grain pattern. Hard and heavy wood with excellent working qualities. Turns and finishes excellent and takes a brilliant polish directly from the tool. Region: Africa, Tanzania
Hope something like this helps.

John Hart
07-09-2010, 8:53 AM
Wow...looks like nice stuff. Funny name.

Ben Richardson
07-09-2010, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the post. I was about to give up on finding any info about this block of wood. Now at least I know what it is.