PDA

View Full Version : Rotating headstock question

Scott Hackler
07-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I turn on a Nova 1624, and I love it. It has done everthing I have ever ask of it and more. I have NEVER stopped the lathe while hoggin out a rough form and the speed ranges are pretty good. BUT.... as with all things I find myself thinking ahead a few years and have looked at the bigger better deal.

So, since I am addicted to rotating my headstock, for easier access..... do any of the bigger lathe manufacters make a rotating headstock? The PowerMatic doesnt look like this function is possible, from the pictures.

Tom Hintz
07-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I have the Powermatic 3520B and that headstock does not rotate. I also am reasonably sure that the Oneway lathes do not have rotating heads either. Your question got me thinking and all of the rotating heads I have had or used were smaller, in the 12 to 14" range I think was the biggest I have used.

bob svoboda
07-08-2010, 12:15 PM
The PM 3520B headstock does slide which basically gives the same access as rotating. I have had both types and am happiest with the PM.

Scott Hackler
07-08-2010, 2:23 PM
Yeah, I thought that the 3520B's headstock would slide down to the end of the ways, but where I have the lathe station... I would have to maybe do something different to stand at the end of the lathe and use it that way.

Kinda funny that some of the larger lathes dont rotate at least a little. I dont nor would I ever attempt a turning with the headstock turned 90 degrees to the ways but just a 20% rotation gives great access to the peice. For my lathe, 90 degrees would be scarey because it doesnt weigh enough. BUT for something like a 3520B... Well that weight thing wouldnt matter anymore! :)

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 2:49 PM
The PM 4224 is a fixed head, the 3520b slides to the end as does the Jet 16/42, and the Grizzly G0698. Nova is the only one currently on the market [as far as I know]

and some of the craftsmen [Palmgren] lathes will swivel the headstock, but believe me you don't want to go there ....... DAMHIKT!

Gary DeWitt
07-08-2010, 3:04 PM
I have a General 16" that rotates. I wouldn't buy it again unless I could bolt it very securely to the floor, it's base it too narrow front to back to be stable with unbalanced stock. Headstock also slides to the end of the ways.
Drawback is, once you move that headstock, you need to re-align it to the tailstock, but I'm guessing you already know that.

Greg Just
07-08-2010, 3:40 PM
I have an older model Delta which doesn't really compare to the Nova, but it's headstock does rotate. It helps when I need to turn something just a little larger than the lathe will handle in the normal position. If I could afford to upgrade to a PM, I'd gladly give up the rotating headstock.

Steve Harder
07-08-2010, 5:05 PM
as with all things I find myself thinking ahead a few years and have looked at the bigger better deal.

So, since I am addicted to rotating my headstock, for easier access.....

Are you looking to turn larger than 16" or looking for variable speed?

Wally Dickerman
07-08-2010, 6:17 PM
Scott, A sliding headstock lathe, as some of the newer lathes are, is much better than one that swivels. Being able to use the tailstock, especially on a big, heavy, unbalanced piece is very important for safety and for smoother cutting. For good balance, having the piece over the bed helps eliminate possible vibration.

I've turned a few times on a Jet 14 in. lathe. The headstock swivels and also slides down the bed. I used it both ways. I found that I definitely got a more solid cut when turning over the bed.

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2010, 7:07 PM
I have the Nova DVR and it rotates.

Tim Boger
07-08-2010, 7:09 PM
I turn on a Nova 1624, and I love it. It has done everthing I have ever ask of it and more. I have NEVER stopped the lathe while hoggin out a rough form and the speed ranges are pretty good. BUT.... as with all things I find myself thinking ahead a few years and have looked at the bigger better deal.

So, since I am addicted to rotating my headstock, for easier access..... do any of the bigger lathe manufacters make a rotating headstock? The PowerMatic doesnt look like this function is possible, from the pictures.

Hey Scott,

I turn on a Jet 14-42 which has the swivel head stock, 95% of my work is segmented stuff so I rarely test the HP capacity .... although I do turn close to the 14" limit on occasion.

The rotating head stock does come in handy often enough to make me thankful that I selected the lathe I did. If and when I'm considering an upgrade I will look for the same features.

Tim

Scott Hackler
07-08-2010, 8:30 PM
Are you looking to turn larger than 16" or looking for variable speed?

Maybe both! (way into the future, though)

Scott Hackler
07-08-2010, 8:35 PM
The thing really is not about turning capacity (diameter) as much as turning comfort. I guess I "could" get used to sliding the headstock to the end of the lathe, but I would definitely have to re-evaluate the position in the shop (so I could stand at the end and not have to reach over the ways). Thanks for the info fellas.

Steve Harder
07-08-2010, 9:18 PM
My shop is small, so the rotating headstock on my Nova 1624 was the deciding factor when selecting a lathe -- just don't have the long space that a sliding headstock would require.

The reason I asked about variable speed is I converted my 1624 to VFD.

It really added turning comfort and value to the lathe.

Here's a link to my articles.
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/extras/projects/1624_vs/index.html
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/extras/projects/1624remote/index.html

Brendan Stemp
07-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Get a VB36 and you won't need a swivel head. A sensational lathe that will handle almost anything and its unique design lets you stand straight in front of a bowl; no lathe bed to get in the way.

Scott Hackler
07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah but Brendan I don't just turn bowls and need a tailstock for half of my projects. Besides the price on that one is not within a reasonable budget! Maybe I should bring up Norm's thread and go buy some concrete!

Dave Ogren
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Scott,

I have to second Brenden's answer. A VB36 is a real pleasure to turn on. However, it would be very similar to turning on a machine with a sliding headstock, slid all the way to the end. Nothing in the way. and not having to lean over the bed.

Good Luck,

Dave

Brodie Brickey
07-09-2010, 5:06 PM
At the AAW Symposium in Hartford there was a new large lathe being demonstrated called the 'Titan'. I'm trying to run down some info on it, but from what I remember it had the following:

30+ inch swing over the bed.

Rotating headstock to 103 degrees (which the engineer had determined provided the largest extension in swing).
@ 103 degrees you could insert a lock to ensure you were getting 103 & it stayed there.
3HP motor
M33 thread & MT2 head stock.
Actual spindle on head stock was over 2" in diameter.
MT#3 tailstock.

It was a beast and in the 7k plus range. For now, I think I stick with my PM. If I get a reply back from the vendor I'll post the info.

Brodie Brickey
07-13-2010, 2:54 PM
I spoke to Andre who's here in North America. The Titan details can be found at:

http://www.magma-tools.de/Director/name/MAGMA+Black+Line/idKey/GRP1222966602719/ (http://www.magma-tools.de/Director/name/MAGMA+Black+Line/idKey/GRP1222966602719/)

If you're interested, he recommended contacting Martin who speaks clear English. Martin is 6 hours ahead of Eastern time.

Martin Gschwandtner ,
Tél: 011 43 7752 88 0 60

Fax: 011 43 7752 88 0 62

Email: martin@magma-tools.de (martin@magma-tools.de)

Tim Rinehart
07-13-2010, 3:46 PM
WivaMac is an option with a 20"+ swing and a rotating headstock ... if shipping from Belgium isn't a problem. Hey, it should be cheaper than shipping the PMs and Jets from Taiwan!
http://www.willyvanhoutte.be/en/static/wivamac#Lathes

Jake Helmboldt
07-13-2010, 8:31 PM
You could look for a used Poolewood, but that raises two problems:
1. finding one
2. finding service if/when needed

I thin the Novas are the only ones in the US market that have swivelling heads and are of high quality.

Come to think of it, I think the Grizzly clone of the Jet 1642 has a head that slides and swivels. I'm not talking about the new 1847 clone. A few people here have the model I'm thinking of and can confirm. Is it the G0632 maybe?

Roger Chandler
07-13-2010, 9:34 PM
You could look for a used Poolewood, but that raises two problems:
1. finding one
2. finding service if/when needed

I thin the Novas are the only ones in the US market that have swivelling heads and are of high quality.

Come to think of it, I think the Grizzly clone of the Jet 1642 has a head that slides and swivels. I'm not talking about the new 1847 clone. A few people here have the model I'm thinking of and can confirm. Is it the G0632 maybe?

It is the G0632 that is the Jet 16/42 clone but does have the swivel head for outboard turning.

Scott Hackler
07-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Brodie, you had me until you got to the 7k price.. :) That one is definitely NOT on the list! Sounds like one hell of a lathe, though.

At the AAW Symposium in Hartford there was a new large lathe being demonstrated called the 'Titan'. I'm trying to run down some info on it, but from what I remember it had the following:

30+ inch swing over the bed.

Rotating headstock to 103 degrees (which the engineer had determined provided the largest extension in swing).
@ 103 degrees you could insert a lock to ensure you were getting 103 & it stayed there.
3HP motor
M33 thread & MT2 head stock.
Actual spindle on head stock was over 2" in diameter.
MT#3 tailstock.
It was a beast and in the 7k plus range. For now, I think I stick with my PM. If I get a reply back from the vendor I'll post the info.