PDA

View Full Version : Too Stinkin' Hot to turn

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
We have had temps well over 100 degrees for the last week. My very accurate temperature sensor which transmits to my atomic clock, and tells temperature and relative humidity, has reached 107 degrees and 108 degrees respectively the last two days, and it is in the shade.

My shop which does not have A/C is most likely a balmy 115 degrees [my estimate] and I just cannot bring myself to be pouring sweat and mixing sawdust all over myself at the same time :eek:

I'll be glad for some break in this heat and some very needed rainfall. I can stand it in the 90's, but when it get over 105 degrees, then I am cooked, well done!

John Keeton
07-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh, Roger, don't be such a whimp!!!:cool::cool::D

Just kiddin'!! It is miserably hot here, but not as bad as you all are having it. We are to get some relief this weekend.

Makes it really bad when I kick on the DC system!!! That sucker throws heat like a torpedo heater! Fortunately, we are on a ridge, and if there is any air moving, I usually get a cross breeze through the shop. Of course, a 100* cross breeze is not actually very refreshing!:(

Jim Underwood
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Stick a fork in him, he's done....:D

I'm sitting here typing this in the shop I work for, and it's stinkin' hot at 92°. I went home yesterday feeling like a dishrag... and my feet and legs just ached. Of course my lovely wife says: "Honey would you grill some hamburgers tonight?" :(

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
John,

I will own up to being "wimped out" when my shop is 115 degrees. I agree with you that a breeze at 100 degrees isn't much comfort, it just dries you out all the more!

Jim, that "dishrag" feeling is a warning to us to re-hydrate ourselves. My doctor told me that one reason I have had kidney stones from time to time is that I wasn't hydrating myself enough, and in the summer when mowing the lawn, or working outside, we usually do not realize how dehydrated we actually are, and that allows salt and other compounds to concentrate in our kidneys, and we end up with problems we would not have had otherwise :eek:

Take care guys, and drink drink drink..... water and gatoraide & such, not the hard stuff....:D

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 12:27 PM
I just looked at the temperature and it is not the hottest part of the day yet, and it is 103.8 degrees in the shade :eek:

Jim Underwood
07-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Yep. I just caught a glimpse of the thermometer here in the shop- it's 100°. That 92° temp was on Weather.com's website.

Not to worry about that water thing... I have a gallon jug of water right here by the CNC router... I do my best to make sure things are "clear"....:D

Rob Damon
07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
That's Virginia, lived here most of my life, high temps and high humidity. Yesterday here was over 100 deg, with 65-70 RH. When it gets that hot outside, I just go into the shop and play. The gauge in the shop says: 70 deg, 29 RH..... : ). Man I am glad I was able to put A/C in last year!

Without A/C I would be in there either.

Rob

Tony De Masi
07-08-2010, 1:39 PM
You are more than welcome at my shop Roger. It's only an hour north and you'll be here.

Tony

John Hart
07-08-2010, 1:54 PM
I feel bad for you guys. I really don't like the heat. I can't concentrate and I certainly don't enjoy what I'm doing.

Our temps are in the 90's lately...but my loft tends to vent off the hotter air and I try to keep the blazing sun out of the windows so I think my shop is somewhere around 80-85 on hot days. I can live with that.

But ya'll have my sincere sympathy

Rob Wachala Jr
07-08-2010, 2:02 PM
Roger,

I feel your pain. It's been 100 in my shop past three days. I forgot to bring in my EEE last night. Big mistake, went out in the shop this morning and it was already completely melted. Brought it back into the house for some AC hopefully it's not completely ruined.

Belinda Barfield
07-08-2010, 2:09 PM
Roger,

Hopefully you will get some relief soon. Currently 97 with a heat index of 103 here, and in our shop I'm guessing it is around 115. Miserable heat even when one is getting paid to work in it. I managed to schedule an "office day" for most of the day today. Tomorrow is predicted to get to 102 with a heat index of 107 to 108. I talked to my shop guys this morning and suggested we start at 6 a.m. tomorrow, work through lunch, and get out of here around 2 p.m. They were in total agreement with that plan! Forecast for Saturday is 93 with 50% chance of rain. I may just go out and play in the rain.

BTW, Corian shavings and dust mix with perspiration in a fashion very similar to sawdust.

John Hart
07-08-2010, 2:13 PM
I may just go out and play in the rain.

I like stompin' in puddles.;):)

Scott Hackler
07-08-2010, 2:27 PM
I cant stand the hot, super humid Kansas summer heat and my shop WAS too hot to do anything.... until I bougt a $100 window unit AC. Now the shop is pretty well insulated but the AC is undersized and it still keeps it a very comfortable 74 degrees! I highly recommend splurging on a small window unit and get to turning again.

Scott Lux
07-08-2010, 2:32 PM
We're hot here in Ohio too, but we haven't hit 100 yet this year. We usually do once or twice a summer.

I checked my local river and the USGS station says the temp is 29° C. That's 84° F. The fish are poached before they're caught.

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 2:42 PM
That's Virginia, lived here most of my life, high temps and high humidity. Yesterday here was over 100 deg, with 65-70 RH. When it gets that hot outside, I just go into the shop and play. The gauge in the shop says: 70 deg, 29 RH..... : ). Man I am glad I was able to put A/C in last year!

Rob

Air Conditioning.......SWEEEEET!

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 2:44 PM
You are more than welcome at my shop Roger. It's only an hour north and you'll be here.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Your shop has A/C? That's really cool! :cool::D

Allen Neighbors
07-08-2010, 2:47 PM
You've got the right idea, Scott. My shop has open eaves, and gets about 5-7 degrees hotter than the outside air. I've got an old swamp cooler, that works very well, unless the humidity is too high.

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 2:56 PM
Belinda has a plan.... get up really early, and finish before noon. The temp here just went to 107 again, about 2:30 pm and it was 98 at 10:00 am this morning.

Rain would be a great blessing..... I might have to join John H, jumping in the puddles :D

My shop building does not have windows like a house, because it is a garden shed [14X20] but the double doors do open, and I have a fan I plug in when it gets hot, but when it is this hot, it just circulates heat! An A/C unit would be nice, but with no insulation and no window, then its pretty much a no go for that.

Belinda Barfield
07-08-2010, 3:08 PM
Belinda has a plan.... get up really early, and finish before noon. The temp here just went to 107 again, about 2:30 pm and it was 98 at 10:00 am this morning.

Rain would be a great blessing..... I might have to join John H, jumping in the puddles :D

My shop building does not have windows like a house, because it is a garden shed [14X20] but the double doors do open, and I have a fan I plug in when it gets hot, but when it is this hot, it just circulates heat! An A/C unit would be nice, but with no insulation and no window, then its pretty much a no go for that.

Yeah, it's always pleasant here to walk out my door at 6:30 and it's already in the 80s with 70 to 80% humidity. We got a bid to install A/C in the shop (6000 sq ft) a couple of weeks ago. It was only $20,000. That just isn't in the budget this week. We have a large fan on a rolling base and a couple of smaller fans, but as you said, they just sort of circulate hot air. Considered getting a couple of mister units but the spoil board on the CNC just doesn't need any more moisture in the air than we have already.

Hey, y'all just come on down to Savannah on Saturday. We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush. :D

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 3:20 PM

Rob

Rob,

I'm sure the humidity is higher in Tidewater than it is here in the Shenandoah Valley. I know, because I used to live in Norfolk, and at times worked in Hampton and other tidewater locations. I've been through Yorktown a number of times and Williamsburg as well..... some of the most oppressive humidity I have ever experienced!

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 3:23 PM
Belinda said "Hey, y'all just come on down to Savannah on Saturday. We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush. :D[/QUOTE]

A real example of genuine southern hospitality!!!

John Hart
07-08-2010, 3:29 PM
....We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush. :D

Can't we do both? :):D

Karl Card
07-08-2010, 3:31 PM
Ill say I do feel very fortunate that my shop stays pretty descent in the summer. Way to cold in winter though.

Belinda Barfield
07-08-2010, 3:35 PM
Can't we do both? :):D

Yes, John, we can unless the rain is accompanied by our usual severe thunder and lightning. In that case we'll sit on the deck under the ceiling fan and sip Bourbon Slush. :D

Ray Binnicker
07-08-2010, 6:17 PM
Here in the Midlands of South Carolina the humidity and temp make for misery like you guys are talking about. When I built my shop I designed the whole thing around an air conditioner. It has 2 speeds on it; OFF and FB (freezer burn).

Jim Terrill
07-08-2010, 6:26 PM
Well I have been hiding out in the shop, which is in the basement. 60% RH (72% RH without dehumidifiers) and pulling out a couple of gallons of water per day thru them, but only 70F. Thinking of adding a sofa down there to sleep on.

Bill Wilcox
07-08-2010, 6:48 PM
Yeah, it's always pleasant here to walk out my door at 6:30 and it's already in the 80s with 70 to 80% humidity. We got a bid to install A/C in the shop (6000 sq ft) a couple of weeks ago. It was only $20,000. That just isn't in the budget this week. We have a large fans on a rolling base and a couple of smaller fans, but as you said, they just sort of circulate hot air. Considered getting a couple of mister units but the spoil board on the CNC just doesn't need any more moisture in the air than we have already.

Hey, y'all just come on down to Savannah on Saturday. We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush. :D

Hi Belinda, I am probably going down to your neck of the woods come Sept or Oct. My Mother live right across the border in Bluffton and she grew up in Sav. Maybe we could do a Low country boil when I come down. With a oyster roast. That southern heat is a killer and us Yanks need to keep cool.
Nice to meet you,
Bill Wilcox

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2010, 7:04 PM
Roger do like I did. I just said heck with it and cut a hole in the wall then put a window A/C in. I have it in my 12 X 20 and it works pretty fair. Until I insulated it it would keep it around 82* to 84*. I can turn in that. Now with insulation it keeps it around 72* to 74*.

Ted Calver
07-08-2010, 7:10 PM
Did somebody say Bourbon Slush ??

John Hart
07-08-2010, 7:15 PM
Did somebody say Bourbon Slush ??

Yeah...and puddle stompin'! It don't get no better'n that!!:)

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 7:55 PM
Roger do like I did. I just said heck with it and cut a hole in the wall then put a window A/C in. I have it in my 12 X 20 and it works pretty fair. Until I insulated it it would keep it around 82* to 84*. I can turn in that. Now with insulation it keeps it around 72* to 74*.

Nice idea Bernie! I might just have to see about that!

John Hart
07-08-2010, 8:10 PM
Nice idea Bernie! I might just have to see about that!

Is it too hot to use a sawzall?

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 8:40 PM
Is it too hot to use a sawzall?

John,

Before one opens up their shop to the elements that would allow rust from rain and perhaps theft from unsavory characters, then one ought to have the requisite materials on hand to do the job correctly, and provide for security.

I just posted about the "hot" temperatures this morning, and I have had a job to run, and business matters to attend to, so I haven't quite gotten to the place I can just cut a hole in the wall, and stick in an A/C unit.

It is tempting though!!! :D Cause I do have 3 reciprocating saws!

John Hart
07-08-2010, 8:51 PM
Oh...I see. You plan properly.

You see...I cut a hole...then run to the store for some boards...then realize I need screws....so I run to the store again....and on and on and on.
I'm really smart that way. ;)

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 8:54 PM
;)
Oh...I see. You plan properly.

You see...I cut a hole...then run to the store for some boards...then realize I need screws....so I run to the store again....and on and on and on.
I'm really smart that way. ;)

Professor Hart,

I think that you do prepare.... what about that new deck? :)

Michael James
07-08-2010, 9:02 PM
but, as we say out here......"yeah, but it's a dry heat!" Sorry folks, no trees, no humidity, but me and the hounds ARE stayin in the shade!
Now I understand why people keep referring to preppin for the winter turning season. I'm in the garage with 1 fan, and 1 space heater:cool:.
My amigos over in Arizona and parts of Texas get it far worse than I - no winter but hotter summers.

John Hart
07-08-2010, 9:03 PM
;)

Professor Hart,

I think that you do prepare.... what about that new deck? :)

Oh sure...throw examples at me :D

Ok ok ok....I planned the deck.....and the library....But thats it. Everything else is unplanned.

Where's my lacquer? :)

Jake Helmboldt
07-08-2010, 9:12 PM
Yes, John, we can unless the rain is accompanied by our usual severe thunder and lightning. In that case we'll sit on the deck under the ceiling fan and sip Bourbon Slush. :D

What's rain?

James Combs
07-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Definitely too hot to work this week but with the milder temps last week I managed to get the walls of my shop insulated and a powered gable vent installed. Now the temp stays about the same as outdoors where as before it popped up to outside plus 10-15 degrees as soon as the sun hit the roof. Plan to install a small window AC as soon as another temperature break comes along, perhaps this weekend. I sure don't envy any of you that HAVE to work in this hot stuff. One of the benefits of being retired is that I can call it a day at 9:00am if I want and have definitely had a lot of 9:00am days this week.

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Definitely too hot to work this week but with the milder temps last week I managed to get the walls of my shop insulated and a powered gable vent installed. Now the temp stays about the same as outdoors where as before it popped up to outside plus 10-15 degrees as soon as the sun hit the roof. Plan to install a small window AC as soon as another temperature break comes along, perhaps this weekend. I sure don't envy any of you that HAVE to work in this hot stuff. One of the benefits of being retired is that I can call it a day at 9:00am if I want and have definitely had a lot of 9:00am days this week.

James,

Sounds like you have it going pretty good in your shop. One issue I have is because of how small my shop building is.... I use the space between the top and bottom of the trusses for storage of boards, and to run my duct work for my dust collection. I don't think insulation is a real option for me at this time, but I do hope in years to come to build a new and bigger shop that will have room for most anything I want to do. Central heat and A/C will be included in my plans. As it is now, when it gets cold, I cannot do glue-ups [glue won't set up correctly under 48-50 degrees.]

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 7:13 AM
Roger, I am sorry for getting so off track on your thread. I just hate not to reply to folks.

Hi Belinda, I am probably going down to your neck of the woods come Sept or Oct. My Mother live right across the border in Bluffton and she grew up in Sav. Maybe we could do a Low country boil when I come down. With a oyster roast. That southern heat is a killer and us Yanks need to keep cool.
Nice to meet you,
Bill Wilcox

Bill, I lived in Bluffton before moving to Savannah - small world. It will be cool enough in October for a LCB. Keep me posted on your visit and if all else fails we'll cool off on River Street.

Yeah...and puddle stompin'! It don't get no better'n that!!:)

Actually, mud boggin' comes to mind as being almost as much fun as puddle stompin'! (Did I hear someone say "you might be a redneck if . . .) However, I only mix mud boggin' with Bourbon Slush if I am a spectator.

Rain got canceled for tomorrow. It's too hot to rain. Heat advisory from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. with a heat index between 105 and 109.

Roland Martin
07-09-2010, 7:32 AM
It's been 90-95 degrees and humid the past week here in Maine. That's not very normal for us at this time of year, over 100 degrees I can't really imagine, WOW! I can't get myself to do much for turning after being in the shop all day making a living in flatwork.
I have to say that the turners that got thier Art Challenge pieces done prior to this heat are certainly brighter than I am:eek::D.

Brian Weaver
07-09-2010, 8:08 AM
My son left a week ago from Montana where we have had maybe 5 days that have been over 80 so far this summer to go to Fort Bening Georgia for basic training. I'm sure thats not going to be fun in that kind of heat not to mention he's not used to that humidity!

Belinda Barfield
07-09-2010, 8:17 AM
My son left a week ago from Montana where we have had maybe 5 days that have been over 80 so far this summer to go to Fort Bening Georgia for basic training. I'm sure thats not going to be fun in that kind of heat not to mention he's not used to that humidity!

Brian, all I can say is "bless his lil' heart", he is in for a rough time. Ft. Benning forecast 100 today with a heat index of 106, 54% humidity, tonight 73 with 82% humidity. I hope they keep him well hydrated. These are the days I want to rent a hotel room for the week just so I can turn the AC down to arctic.

Paul Douglass
07-09-2010, 9:39 AM
I'll stay where I am. Suppose to get to 101 today, but it is pretty dry here and the heat is not so bad. I HAD to go to Florida one summer and when the plane was landing they announced it was 90 some degrees outside. I though, no big deal, it gets a lot hotter than that where I come from. Than I stepped off the plane, thought I was going to die!! The humidity really made the difference. I will remain a desert rat, thank you.

Gerold Griffin
07-09-2010, 9:53 AM
Brian, my sympathy lies with your son. I went from Wis. to MCLB Albany Ga. in Aug of 84. and been in the sunny South ever since.Thought I was gonna die that first year. Since then I have learned to somewhat live with the heat. I stay outside most of the time and one of the neatest things I have found for dealing with heat is an evaporative cooling vest. Got one and just about wore it out over the last few years. Best deal on them I have found on them is here. http://www.palmflex.com/home.php?cat=205 (http://www.palmflex.com/home.php?cat=205) Also a blower out of a old heat/air unit like in your home works great for moving hot air around in the shop. With that vest though you can shiver in Augest! So cheap I often wonder why more people don't use them.

Roger Chandler
07-09-2010, 9:57 AM
We are so hot and so dry here that all the lawns have turned really brown. Two weeks ago the grass was "crunchy" when you walked on it. Now it is even worse, its almost like a waste land. Nothing is growing but weeds, [and some of them have died out] and I just hope the lawn will come back before this fall, but we will have to get several days of much needed rain.

I have 10 tomato plants and 2 yellow squash, and they require watering by can every morning and evening. they still wilt during the day. My wife has a prize rose bush from Biltmore Estate, Ashville, NC. and it has about 12 blooms on it, but they won't get any bigger, they have stayed small, and even though they get watered daily, they don't open up... just wilt during the day, and perk back up in the evening when the sun gets low on the horizon.

I went into my shop last night about 10:30 pm and it was still over 100 degrees.

Terry Gerros
07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Ah yes, an air conditioned shop is soooooooo sweeeeeet. You all might consider putting in a mini-split system, pretty reasonably priced and work wonderfully. Mitsubishi sells them, certainly there are others, but my cousin, an HVAC guy says they are the best.

John Hart
07-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I would...but I don't want my spiders to get too cold. ;)

Rob Damon
07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
What's rain?

Actually got 15 minutes of it this morning in Yorktown, but the heat and humidity are worse now.

Rob

John Hart
07-09-2010, 12:56 PM
It's 75 degrees, light breeze and raining here right now. It rained all night then it took a 1 hour break so I could play with the pheasants a bit this morning before I left for work.

Pretty nice day. :)

James Combs
07-09-2010, 1:39 PM
James,

Sounds like you have it going pretty good in your shop. One issue I have is because of how small my shop building is.... I use the space between the top and bottom of the trusses for storage of boards, and to run my duct work for my dust collection. I don't think insulation is a real option for me at this time, but I do hope in years to come to build a new and bigger shop that will have room for most anything I want to do. Central heat and A/C will be included in my plans. As it is now, when it gets cold, I cannot do glue-ups [glue won't set up correctly under 48-50 degrees.]

I have the same issue with needing to use my "attic" space for storage. I don't have anything on the ceiling joists so it is open to the uninsulated rafters. My hope is that since cool air is heavier, the insulated walls and a window unit will keep the below ceiling joist area cool enough to work in without having to insulate the rafters right away. I do plan on insulating them before the heating season though.

Roger Chandler
07-09-2010, 1:50 PM
I have the same issue with needing to use my "attic" space for storage. I don't have anything on the ceiling joists so it is open to the uninsulated rafters. My hope is that since cool air is heavier, the insulated walls and a window unit will keep the below ceiling joist area cool enough to work in without having to insulate the rafters right away. I do plan on insulating them before the heating season though.

James.

Sounds like a plan to me :)

Rod Sheridan
07-09-2010, 2:05 PM
We are so hot and so dry here that all the lawns have turned really brown. Two weeks ago the grass was "crunchy" when you walked on it. Now it is even worse, its almost like a waste land. Nothing is growing but weeds, [and some of them have died out] and I just hope the lawn will come back before this fall, but we will have to get several days of much needed rain.

I have 10 tomato plants and 2 yellow squash, and they require watering by can every morning and evening. they still wilt during the day. My wife has a prize rose bush from Biltmore Estate, Ashville, NC. and it has about 12 blooms on it, but they won't get any bigger, they have stayed small, and even though they get watered daily, they don't open up... just wilt during the day, and perk back up in the evening when the sun gets low on the horizon.

I went into my shop last night about 10:30 pm and it was still over 100 degrees.

I was working in Mount Jackson VA last week and darn near wilted myself.

It's summer and winter that really makes me love a basement shop, a pretty constant temperature all year long since it has heating and cooling.

I'm just a wimp.........Regards, Rod.

Roger Chandler
07-09-2010, 2:21 PM
I was working in Mount Jackson VA last week and darn near wilted myself.

It's summer and winter that really makes me love a basement shop, a pretty constant temperature all year long since it has heating and cooling.

I'm just a wimp.........Regards, Rod.

Rod,

Mt. Jackson is where we hold our monthly meetings for our wood turning club, AAW affiliated, of course.

Chip Sutherland
07-09-2010, 10:26 PM
I can definitely appreciate your problem. My garage isn't AC'd....but I tend to leave the door to the house open until I start sanding. I keep a fan blowing on me from behind, too. If I could just get the wife and kids to not open the garage door, I could keep it around 85 in there which is good enough to turn.

Rob Damon
07-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Rod,

Mt. Jackson is where we hold our monthly meetings for our wood turning club, AAW affiliated, of course.

I made a couple trips to Mt. Jackson a year or two back when we upgraded there wastewater treatment plant. Nice little town. It was late fall, so the weather was great.

Rob