PDA

View Full Version : The difference in two lathes

Mike Willeson
07-08-2010, 8:49 AM
There are two used lathes in the area for sale. For the sake of argument let's say they are of like age and condition.

One is the Delta 46-460 for $500. The other is the Jet 1220 for $350.

I know the Delta is the variable speed model and I "think" the Jet is the belt model with 6 speeds.

Is there $150 worth of difference between the two?

Opinions...?

Karl Card
07-08-2010, 9:43 AM
I wished I had variable speed....

I also like the 1hp on the delta. Not sure what the jet is.
If it were me Id try and get the delta and see if he would take 400 for it. Just a glance thru google says the delta goes for around 599 and of course someone will alwasy be higher/lower.

I have a jet 1014 and a rikon 70-100 and both are fine but that delta has more hp..

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Mike I would go for the Delta. 1 hp and VS. I thought for a couple of years moving the belt around was no big deal. I got a VS and I wouldn't go back to moving belts.

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
You will like the delta much better in the long run. The ease of use of a variable speed machine makes turning so much more pleasant. The Delta is a solid unit from what I hear.

John Keeton
07-08-2010, 12:06 PM
A simple response to a simple question - YES, it is definitely worth the $150 difference.

Bob Haverstock
07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Mike,

I'd go for the Jet, either lathe will make want a bigger one soon. One of my favorite pasttimes is dickering, so I would try to buy for a lower price. For those prices, either lathe should be as new.

I have a nice 1220 crated up for my son, I'm very fond of that lathe. I've owned for about 3 years. I bought it for less that $400 new. The little lathe set the hook and created the vortex. I upgraded to a Nova, I'm good for now.

Bob Haverstock

There are two used lathes in the area for sale. For the sake of argument let's say they are of like age and condition.

One is the Delta 46-460 for $500. The other is the Jet 1220 for $350.

I know the Delta is the variable speed model and I "think" the Jet is the belt model with 6 speeds.

Is there $150 worth of difference between the two?

Opinions...?

Joe Herrmann
07-08-2010, 1:02 PM
Bill Blasic just did a review comparing the two lathes in question in the last issue of Woodturning Design magazine. Reading the review might help you make a decision.

Joe

Mike Willeson
07-08-2010, 2:27 PM
Bill Blasic just did a review comparing the two lathes in question in the last issue of Woodturning Design magazine. Reading the review might help you make a decision.

Joe

Do you know the issue month or number? I did a quick look on their website and did not see mention of the comparison....I probably missed it...my wife says I do that.....thanks!