PDA

View Full Version : sled for resawing found wood.

robert raess
07-08-2010, 1:19 AM
I went through this elaborate process of building a sled, that adjusts left and right, and also slides through the blade.I have resawn successfully in the past to the left of the blade, with a special fence that allows you to adjust for drift.This is the first time i have used a fence to the right of the blade, and more importantly, used the slot in the table.It did not go well,and the slot would not allow the blade to drift causing it to bind.The fence/sled that i made does not allow for drift,because it is captured by table slot.I'm posting this with you turners, since we're the most apt to resaw found wood.Hope i was clear enough, can't wait to hear back!! thanks rob

Fred Perreault
07-08-2010, 6:50 AM
What, no pics?

Roger Chandler
07-08-2010, 8:30 AM
Robert,

What was the tooth configuration on your blade? If you use a blade with no more than 3 tpi and you have it tensioned properly, then drift should be fairly minimized.

I have a sled I use on my 18" band saw, and I have no problems with drift, however I use a 1.3 tpi blade and it is 1-1/4" wide, properly tensioned. It can be done also on a 14 inch saw, but you need a really good sharp blade. Also, a slow feed rate.

Timberwolf blades made from Sweedish silicon steel are the best at resawing.

Hope this helps a little......good luck, and be safe!

Rod Sheridan
07-08-2010, 9:17 AM
http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/video/hammer-n4400.html

Hi, I made a jig based upon the design in the above video for a 17" General International band saw.

I adjust the blade tracking to eliminate drift so that the jig can work properly when used in the mitre gauge track.

I haven't made any lumber longer than about 3 feet, however that has worked out very well.

I use a 3/4" blade with 3 TPI for the sawing.

regards, Rod.