PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Baby Rattle

Stephen McGregor
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
A cherry baby rattle I made for a friend's new Grandson. My first attempt at "captured rings"... http://images112.fotki.com/v587/photos/8/848245/6026081/cherryrattle-vi.jpg

John Keeton
07-08-2010, 6:55 AM
And, I would say you did an excellent job with it!! Very nice.

Baxter Smith
07-08-2010, 7:03 AM
Very nice. Looks like it will rattle!

Stephen McGregor
07-08-2010, 8:08 AM
Thank you, it does rattle :) And I guess that's the main thing....

Richard Madison
07-08-2010, 9:22 AM
Nice one Stephen. I like the wire burned rings.

Stephen McGregor
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Richard, thanks, I had just cut them in with my skew, and my friend was watching (she's turns bowls and vases), and she said, "why don't you use my wire burner to burn those in".. "LIGHT BULB"... I said, "Great Idea", it does give it a little more depth.

Thanks again..

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Nice rattle. Looks great.

Mike Peace
07-08-2010, 1:21 PM
Those are fun and very gratifying to turn for a grandchild.

I would not normally provide anything but an atta boy to someone who did not ask for a critique. But, it is hard to tell from the picture how big the knobs are on each end to know if they are safe. You probably know this but I would not think you would be offended if someone doublechecked. You should not be able to insert either end into a toilet paper tube or it is not safe for the baby. Also the inside of the rings look like they might be a little sharp if the baby's tongue can reach it. I would do some more sanding on the inside of those rings.

Glenn Barber
07-08-2010, 3:00 PM
Stephen- Nice rattle and I like the burning also. The only concern I'd have, and this was told to me by a full-time "pro" turner, is that the captive rings will almost always get broken if the rattle is used by the child. The rattle and rings will be "banged" on all sorts of surfaces, think crib, and this usually will lead to the captive rings getting broken. The broken ring pieces then become choking hazards. I am not trying to rain on your parade for such a nice and thoughtful present, just prevent a possible horrible accident. I would tell the parents it is an "Heirloom Rattle" not to be used.

Barbell shaped rattles, that pass the child saftey size requirements, whose ends have been drilled/hollowed and filled with dried beans are a much safer way to go.

Again beautiful work. Just trying to pass along some info dealing with safety.

Glenn

Stephen McGregor
07-08-2010, 5:47 PM
Hi Glenn/Mike, thanks for the information. I'll pass this along to the rattle recipients. Good thoughts.

As for the Rings, they are a "little sharp" because I used my skew to cut them loose and didn't have the right tool. But it isn't sharp enough to cut. But I do think I'll tell them to not just leave it with a baby, etc.

Thanks so much... I appreciate it.

Steve

Kirk Miller
07-10-2010, 3:38 AM
I am planning on making a rattle for some friends that are expecting soon. I was going to make a shelf/picture frame type thing for it to rest on though. It would some type of engraving thingy with the kids birthdate and name. More of a keepsake thingy than an actual rattle