PDA

View Full Version : Shagbark Hickory bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
07-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Just finished this small Shagbark Hickory bowl about 8" X 3¼", turned thin and to finish from a piece I picked up a couple of weeks ago, had a punky center on one end but was still solid on the other end, so cut a length off and there was just a little stain at the pith, but still solid.
The wood did shrink quite a bit, almost ½" on this rather small bowl, and is true for Hickory, as it is right near the top for shrinkage.
The other thing is the amount of finish I needed is more than with many woods, still a nice wood to turn IMO.

Any and all comments are welcome as always :D
155294 155295 155296 155297

Karl Card
07-08-2010, 1:21 AM
i really like the grain in the bowl.

John Keeton
07-08-2010, 6:53 AM
Leo, as always, your form and finish is superb! Great job on grain orientation. The hickory made up into a very nice little bowl.

Baxter Smith
07-08-2010, 7:01 AM
Beautiful bowl, nice balanced grain and finish. Like the warp. When I see a nice looking bowl like this and its perfectly round I only dare look at it. With a little warp, I want to pick it up and use it.:D

Tim Rinehart
07-08-2010, 7:57 AM
Leo,
Gotta agree, the grain pattern really is pleasing on that hickory. I've not turned hickory yet, but like most woods, it seems like there are good ways and then just 'ok' ways to align the piece for best grain display. You certainly have that one looking nice.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2010, 7:59 AM
Beautiful bowl Leo! Great form! The grain and color reminds me of Oak or Ash! Looks like it would be light as a feather!

Very nice work Leo! Thanks for sharing!

bob svoboda
07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Beautiful wood and a really pleasing form. Makes me want to pick it up.

steven carter
07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Another excellent bowl Leo! The grain really takes your eye on this one, well done.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Beautiful Leo. Like the form, finish and wood.

David E Keller
07-08-2010, 8:41 PM
Nice looking bowl. I've not seen that particular wood before, but it is reminiscent of ash with the pronounced early/late rings. I like the form as well.

Harvey Ghesser
07-08-2010, 8:53 PM
You nailed the shape, Leo! Just beautiful!!:D:D

Matt Hutchinson
07-08-2010, 9:02 PM
That is a really great looking piece of hickory! Is the tone of the wood really that dark, or does the finish deepen its color? In any case, I really like the color and grain.

Hutch

Paul Douglass
07-08-2010, 9:21 PM
Really pretty, nice job.

Thomas Canfield
07-08-2010, 9:23 PM
Leo,

That is truly an amazing piece. The grain is spectacular and the delicate lip really adds. Something very different and special.

Allen Neighbors
07-08-2010, 9:47 PM
Really a gorgeous bowl, Leo! You've really got some popping grain in this one!! It's stunning!

Bill Wilcox
07-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Leo, very nice job. I really like the thought you took to get the grain of this bowl down pat. I think you nailed this one.
Bill Wilcox

Stephen McGregor
07-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Leo, I love the bowl, and the graining is fantastic in it.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-09-2010, 2:28 AM
i really like the grain in the bowl.

Leo, as always, your form and finish is superb! Great job on grain orientation. The hickory made up into a very nice little bowl.

Beautiful bowl, nice balanced grain and finish. Like the warp. When I see a nice looking bowl like this and its perfectly round I only dare look at it. With a little warp, I want to pick it up and use it.:D

Beautiful bowl Leo! Great form! The grain and color reminds me of Oak or Ash! Looks like it would be light as a feather!

Very nice work Leo! Thanks for sharing!

Leo,
Gotta agree, the grain pattern really is pleasing on that hickory. I've not turned hickory yet, but like most woods, it seems like there are good ways and then just 'ok' ways to align the piece for best grain display. You certainly have that one looking nice.

Thanks guys for the comments :D, Steve the bowl is pretty heavy for it's size and thickness, as this is a very thin-walled bowl, a bigger and a little thicker walled Box Elder I have been adding finish onto, doesn't weight any more than this Hickory, the Hickory took a long time growing to get to this size and it is just much heavier wood :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-09-2010, 2:59 AM
Beautiful wood and a really pleasing form. Makes me want to pick it up.

Another excellent bowl Leo! The grain really takes your eye on this one, well done.

Steve

Beautiful Leo. Like the form, finish and wood.

Nice looking bowl. I've not seen that particular wood before, but it is reminiscent of ash with the pronounced early/late rings. I like the form as well.

Thanks for commenting Guys :D, David yes you are right it does look a bit like Ash at first glance, it is also an open pored wood, also like Walnut and is in the same family, it took quite a few coats of tung oil finish to get a good finish on it, we are loosing the Hickories fast up here as they are attacked by borers, this was part of a few large Hickories that got cut down as they had died off :(

Leo Van Der Loo
07-09-2010, 3:13 AM
You nailed the shape, Leo! Just beautiful!!:D:D

That is a really great looking piece of hickory! Is the tone of the wood really that dark, or does the finish deepen its color? In any case, I really like the color and grain.

Hutch

Really pretty, nice job.

Leo,

That is truly an amazing piece. The grain is spectacular and the delicate lip really adds. Something very different and special.

Thank you for the nice comments :D, Matt the wood is not that dark, the very narrow growth rings do make it darker than a faster growing tree, it is much darker than the Bitternut Hickory I've turned, about like Carpathian Walnut but much harder but also an open pore wood, to bad the rest of the piece I got had a soft center and I had to make spindle blanks from it, as it was a fairly small log to start off with.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-09-2010, 3:21 AM
Really a gorgeous bowl, Leo! You've really got some popping grain in this one!! It's stunning!

Thanks Allan :D, yes I was pleasantly surprised that it had some figure in there, as it was just a straight piece of log, turned nice, and took forever to get the grain all filled, but the outcome is nice and worth the effort I think :)

Leo, very nice job. I really like the thought you took to get the grain of this bowl down pat. I think you nailed this one.
Bill Wilcox

Thanks Bill :D, you take what the wood has to offer, like they say, "listen to the wood" or pay attention to it, sometimes it is hard but this one was easy :)

Leo, I love the bowl, and the graining is fantastic in it.
Thanks for commenting Stephen :D, I appreciate it :)

John Hart
07-09-2010, 7:04 AM
I really like the form you've chosen on this one Leo....and I like the detailing you did on the foot. It's a wonderful looking bowl sir.:)

Roland Martin
07-09-2010, 7:49 AM
Great uniform color on this piece of hickory, nice grain pattern and a very pleasing form. Very nice bowl with a finish that really does it justice.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-09-2010, 1:30 PM
I really like the form you've chosen on this one Leo....and I like the detailing you did on the foot. It's a wonderful looking bowl sir.:)

Thanks for commenting John :D, little things do make a difference ;)

Great uniform color on this piece of hickory, nice grain pattern and a very pleasing form. Very nice bowl with a finish that really does it justice.

Thanks Roland :D, the finish did take some extra effort, but it was worth it I think :)