PDA

View Full Version : Which Revolving Center System/Kitdo you have/like?

Scott Hussey
07-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi - In my continued traverse through the vortex, I'm realizing that I NEED a revolving center kit to hold some small turney things.

I was wondering which kits/systems you all have used and any pros/cons for each of them.

I'm looking at the Craft Supplies catalog and it looks like all the bug guys have a system - and I realize I probably can't go too wrong with any of them, but any input from folks who have used one would be great.

Thx

Scott

Terry Gerros
07-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Well I have to say I have a Oneway, a Sorby revolving steb center, and a Nova revolving center.....Do I really have 3?????? Jeez.....For me I use the Oneway and Sorby with frequency, and on occasion the Nova. Love the Oneway.

Harlan Coverdale
07-08-2010, 1:08 AM
I have a Oneway, the one that came with my PM 3520, and a no-name center with multiple tips from one of the Internet woodworking stores, I don't remember who. Maybe PSI. The Oneway is a bit nicer quality than the PM, so I tend to use it for finer work. For roughing or other aggressive work, I use the PM. It's like having the good skis for powder and the rock skis for springtime. The multi-tip set is handy every once in a while, but it's not as good of quality as the other two, and I very seldom have a need to use one of the special tips. It was quite a bit less expensive than the Oneway, though. If the money is available, I'd recommend the Oneway. Versatile and high quality.

Frank Van Atta
07-08-2010, 1:56 AM
I have several, but the one I use almost exclusively is the Pro Live Center (http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2003727/Pro-Live-Center-Set.aspx) Set from Woodcraft. The tips are held in place magnetically, they're easy to change, and you can make specialty tips to fit very easily.

Jim Sebring
07-08-2010, 2:21 AM
I like my Oneway. If none of the tips supplied in the kit will do the job, it's easy to drill and tap a piece of scrap to fit on the threaded end. Then just turn it to whatever shape you need for the job at hand.

charlie knighton
07-08-2010, 3:17 AM
i use the jet revolving center(it comes with the lathe), it has 2 points, one inside the other, i have added a oneway revolving center chuck adapter which allows a chuck or faceplate to be mounted on the revolving center

Bill Blasic
07-08-2010, 7:42 AM
I use and prefer the Nova live center system as it is very versatile.
Bill

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I prefer my oneway and Nova.

Michael Mills
07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I have the Nova also and really like it. With the "threaded insert" it's easy to use t-nuts to make a quick and reusable custom end.
Mike

Jim Underwood
07-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I have two Jet centers, one from the mini 1014, and one from the 1642. I like both, and use both, but I plan to get the Oneway eventually. I didn't like the pro set from Craft Supplies, even though it was recommended over the Oneway. I couldn't get it to run true because of the mounting method- set screws! Even the cheapie little Jet on my 1014 will run true because it has a morse taper for the special center in the middle.

Joshua Dinerstein
07-08-2010, 3:03 PM
I have a bunch. Each has it own uses and characteristics...

I have 3 jet live centers. These are pretty much just a knock-off of the oneway live center. These have a black finish rather than the shiny silver. I like them. I use them pretty much all of the time. I have 3 because 1 came with my lathe. I got a good deal on Amazon on one for my older lathe so that I would have 2. I have the third because ebay is fun and work is boring and I thought "hey, there is no way I could win this auction for the minimum bid so why not play..." $45 later I have 3 of them.

I bought the oneway because I wanted something great and it was onsale. I have to say that I think the finish on this one is better than the others but other than that it is, too me, for all intents and purposes the same exact live center.

I then have some really cheapy ones:

1- I got a cup live center from Woodcraft. It was good only for throwing away. Within a few minutes the first time I used it began to wobble as the bearing was already shot. I tossed it.

2- I got a bull-nose live center from PSI. I actually like this one and use it on occasion. Mostly when making tool handles as regardless of the hole drilled for the steel this center will fit down into it. I could use the cones that came with my Jet's but I use this for the same reason I have multiple chucks. It is just easier than changing things.

3- I was once again on ebay when I saw a magnetic live center set for sale from someone named 800watt, no affiliation at all just a statement of what I did. It had replaceable tips that are really quite small. Small cups, small cones etc... I have to say that the project I bought it for never actually get started, yet..., so I don't have any experience with it. But it seems to be of typical chineese quality. Heavy enough but I can't speak to how long it will last. NOTE: I recent saw a very similar setup at woodcraft and for use by Tim Yoder on his tv show. So perhaps I will get this thing out and going one of these days.

My advice buy the Jet live center. You can get them for about $45 on the bay most of the time from a seller there. For that price the ROI is off the charts good. If you want "shiny" and are rich get the OneWay. :p

Just my $0.05... A penny a piece. A pretty good deal.

Joshua

p.s. if you need me too, PM me and I can figure out who I bought the jet live center from.

Alan Trout
07-08-2010, 8:12 PM
IMHO, the Nova live center is a best value. It is extremely versatile, complete, and well made. For under $70 it is hard to beat.

Good Luck

Alan

Harvey Ghesser
07-08-2010, 8:59 PM
Oneway Live Center...I love it.

David Woodruff
07-09-2010, 3:34 PM
Ditto on the Oneway, I have two but it escapes me now why I needed two!

Joshua Dinerstein
07-09-2010, 7:18 PM
Ditto on the Oneway, I have two but it escapes me now why I needed two!

Because you only had 1. I mean honestly... only 1? Sheesh. ;)

Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
07-09-2010, 7:24 PM
Of course now that I have take a good look at the Nova live center I find myself strangely in need of one. Well crap. At that price I may as well...

Joshua