PDA

View Full Version : mini cherry pot

Michael James
07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Ok, this is the last I get play so I can do some little plates for the quad cities trip. Then I hope to start with hollow forms. I asked my guru for pointers on the various tips and he told me to mount some wood, turn the lathe on, and penetrate the wood, paying special attention what happens with each different cutter.:) My kind of learning: slam dunk into long term memory for sure, on the "whoops... note to self - never do that again!"

Im posting a link to the man I think hands down is the best contemporary SW Native American artist alive. (ok, an opinion) I have his paintings, prints, and posters all over my house and in my office. His work is the inspiration for where I want to go with hollow vessels and eventually segmented turning. His name is spelled Pena, pronounced penn-ya, as it's Spanish. I hope you enjoy his work. He's very active on the circuit and quite personable too! http://www.penagallery.com/ There are lots of pottery shapes in his various paintings.

Attached is a photo of a little cherry pot I made from a 2"x by 2" or so spindle blank scrap, next to my car key for size reference. Nothing special, but I like the shape.
Namaste,
mj

Rich Aldrich
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Looks really nice.

David E Keller
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice work on the mini.

If you like the style of pottery represented in his paintings, you should try to get you hands on the last DVD set from Jimmy Clewes... He turns a form from Ambrosia maple with a turquoise inlay that looks a lot like some of the things I saw on the website.

John Keeton
07-08-2010, 6:50 AM
Someday I need to try one of these little ones!! Nice work.