PDA

View Full Version : Splitter help?

Jim Hinze
12-03-2004, 9:38 AM
I've upgraded my BT3100 saw to a Delta 10" tilting arbor saw (36-750) w/Unifence, 2hp.

It's used but in great shape, but did not come with a guard or splitter. I was planning on fabricating an overarm guard (I have some lexan) but needed some advice on what to get.

Tomorrow here in Detroit is the Woodworking show and was hoping I could pick one up there... (perhaps a bies pop-in).

Anyone have any good thoughts?

Byron Trantham
12-03-2004, 9:42 AM
I use the Bies pop in and love it. I liked it so much I gradually changed all my thin kerf blades to a standard kerf as the Bies will not work with a thin kerf. It's quick and easy to install and un-install.

larry merlau
12-03-2004, 9:46 AM
alot of the guys and gals here use the beiz splitter and i will too whe it gets on the market fo rmy saw. they all say its very good and simple to remove for other operations. as fo rthe overarm gurad they are many with excaliber brands and others there was a plan in one of the ww mags on how to make your own which i intend to do. they really are to sophistaketd if you have some metal working know how. there is a plan that can be downloaded from from another website. wcentral so enjoy the show i have been told that detroits show is the states best one. havnt been ther but someday. good luck

Ted Shrader
12-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Jim -

Congratulations on your new acquisition! Light years of difference in performance between that and your old saw.

Besides the Bies splitter, also check out the splitter from <a href="http://www.microjig.com/">MicroJig</a>. Hopefully it will be available at the show.

Regards,
Ted

ps - Keep your wallet wrapped tight. There will be many temptations. :) :)

Jack Hogoboom
12-03-2004, 2:35 PM
I have the Bies splitter and have been happy with it's performance. However, it is impossible to use the Bies splitter with the GRRRipper system. As a result, I have ordered their splitter insert because I think the two things together are much safer than the Bies splitter is alone.

Just my $0.02.

Jack

Jim Hinze
12-03-2004, 2:38 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for your very helpfull replies.

I had considered getting a gripper at the show but did not realize you could not use it with the bies splitter, good information.

However, when doing bevel cuts, what do you folks who use the microsplitter do? I'm assuming the bies acts like a riving knife and tilts with the arbor????

Thanks again!

Jack Hogoboom
12-03-2004, 3:43 PM
Jim,

Great question. I don't do a lot of bevel cutting so it's not an issue for me, but the Bies splitter does tilt with the arbor. The Microjig splitter is attached to the table insert and so would not tilt.

I guess that means you need to buy both!!! :D

Actually, the good news is that the Microjig splitter is pretty cheap, so it might make sense to have both. I doubt you could safely use the GRRRipper on a bevel cut either.

Jack

Ed Falis
12-03-2004, 4:40 PM
I bought a Brett-Guard a couple years back. It comes with a small metal splitter that's shaped a lot like the MicroJig splitter - but it attaches to the bolt used for the OEM splitter, so it'll tilt with the arbor. You can get the splitters from http://www.sawdustsales.com/mall/Brettguards.asp. They come in thin and regular kerf, and are inexpensive. (They also work with the GRR-Ripper because of their profile).

Having said that, I use the Microjig splitter most of the time because it can be taken on and off very easily due to its being attached directly to the ZCI.

- Ed

Carole Valentine
12-04-2004, 8:48 AM
I use the Delta Removable splitter. While not "pop out" it is still quick and easy to use and for the huge difference in price between it and the Bies, I am more than willing to flip up the insert and spin a knob. I also use a microjig splitter. I even have a second Delta splitter (that has had the pawls removed and the top cut off) that I sometimes use with my crosscut sled. As for a guard, I use the Deluxe Uniguard which I like.

Jim Hinze
12-04-2004, 12:43 PM
I use the Delta Removable splitter. While not "pop out" it is still quick and easy to use and for the huge difference in price between it and the Bies, I am more than willing to flip up the insert and spin a knob. I also use a microjig splitter. I even have a second Delta splitter (that has had the pawls removed and the top cut off) that I sometimes use with my crosscut sled. As for a guard, I use the Deluxe Uniguard which I like.

Carole,

What's the part number for the delta removable???

Carole Valentine
12-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Carole,

What's the part number for the delta removable???
Here's the link. Depends on your saw.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=139&p=811

Ted Shrader
12-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Jim -

So you went to the show yesterday, and. . . . . . :)

Ted