PDA

View Full Version : NW Florida Creeker Visit

Tim Rinehart
07-07-2010, 8:43 PM
I had a chance to visit with Bob Wolfe while I'm down in the Florida Panhandle visiting relatives.
Contacted Bob ahead of time and both of us were already talking about good wood trades, local stuff from respective areas. I had a sampling of some elm, walnut, maple and poplar from local trees I have been turning wood.

Good gosh, he had a wheelbarrow full to offer up for me to put to good use on my PM. Bob provided me with some serious nice size pieces of magnolia, and a piece of ambrosia maple, along with some cypress, mulberry, mimosa and cherry...dang...I thought Florida just had palms!! ;)

Bob has a very nicely constructed articulated hollowing tool that I got to test drive on his lathe, and we started a piece of mystery wood form, believe it's likely magnolia. We brought it back and I tried it on my lathe as well (he only lives about 10 minutes from my brother-in-law) and worked around with some different techniques.

Looking forward to being able to repeat this next time I come down, which is several times a year.

Bob will finish and post a pic of this piece in the lathe when completed.
(Bob's the guy on the left, standing on a platform ... :rolleyes:)

Bob Wolfe
07-07-2010, 8:55 PM
I've been working on a similar post for the last half hour, glad I checked to see that it wouldn't be a duplicate before I hit the button to submit it.
I enjoyed meeting your family and picking your brain throughout the day. I had a blast and want you to know that you're always welcome in my shop. Look me up next time you are in town.

Bob

David E Keller
07-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a good time and the potential for a recurring visit.

Steve Schlumpf
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
It's been my experience that Creeker visits are always a lot of fun! Sounds like you guys enjoyed yourselves!

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a good time was had. Creeker visits are the best.

John Keeton
07-08-2010, 6:46 AM
What could be better than a couple of creekers swapping wood and wood stories!! Congrats to both of you.

Tim, hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay!

Tony De Masi
07-08-2010, 7:25 AM
Congrats fellas. Yep these visits are the best but always too short.

Tony