PDA

View Full Version : With all the earthquakes we are having

James Baker SD
07-07-2010, 8:09 PM
down here in S. California, I am glad I chose to bolt my floor standing drill press to the floor rather than put it in a mobile base.

James

glenn bradley
07-07-2010, 9:41 PM
I think some folks thought I was kidding when I built my DP mobile base with 100# of Quik-crete (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64080&d=1178461584) as a ballast.

Gary Muto
07-08-2010, 6:58 AM
We had an earthquake in the east last week. The epicenter was north of Toronto and it was a 5.x? I was in a ground floor internal room at the time and never noticed. People on higher floors felt it a little. My parents said their China cabinet rattled a little.

Neil Brooks
07-08-2010, 7:17 AM
So ... to Gary and James....

I was BORN in Royal Oak (Beaumont Hospital), and lived most of my life all around San Diego.

I miss earthquakes. I'm stuck in Boston, right now. Earthquakes sure wake you up, but ... New England heat waves ... blecch :p

Incidentally, I think the US Geological Survey should have used biscuits, dowels, or clamping cauls along those tectonic glue lines.

Rookie mistake :D

Dave Wagner
07-08-2010, 7:44 AM
We felt it here in WNY, it shook for about 10-15 seconds back and forth, we were on the 2nd floor of our new office bldg (only 2 floors), but weird feeling....to feel everything moving. No one even thought of an earthquake until after the fact, since not that common in this area.

Van Huskey
07-08-2010, 7:49 AM
Incidentally, I think the US Geological Survey should have used biscuits, dowels, or clamping cauls along those tectonic glue lines.

It was the native Americans that made the mistake, maybe they thought the obvious defect would prevent us from taking it...

I think the real problem is the glue is so slow setting, much of it is still liquid and every time the clamps are tightened the glue squeezes out. A few million gallons of CA should get it fixed right up.

Neil Brooks
07-08-2010, 7:56 AM
It was the native Americans that made the mistake, maybe they thought the obvious defect would prevent us from taking it...

I think the real problem is the glue is so slow setting, much of it is still liquid and every time the clamps are tightened the glue squeezes out. A few million gallons of CA should get it fixed right up.

Well said ;)

Imagine the Bessey. Oh, Lordy :D

Chris Kennedy
07-08-2010, 8:44 AM
Well said ;)

Imagine the Bessey. Oh, Lordy :D

It's round -- I think we need a big 'ol strap clamp or two.

Scott Kuykendall
07-09-2010, 5:35 PM
I miss waking up with the entire shacking like crazy and things flying off the wall. Lived in Big Bear and had a few good one there, so I now live South Carolina and here we have tornados.
Scott

Gary Muto
07-12-2010, 6:48 AM
So ... to Gary and James....

I was BORN in Royal Oak (Beaumont Hospital), and lived most of my life all around San Diego.

I miss earthquakes. I'm stuck in Boston, right now. Earthquakes sure wake you up, but ... New England heat waves ... blecch :p

some photos of the damage near Royal Oak...

I apologize in advance, but this made me laugh

Neil Brooks
07-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Whew.

You guys okay ?

;)

Ray Bell
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
some photos of the damage near Royal Oak...

I apologize in advance, but this made me laugh

Wow, did they declare National Emergency, and start a relief fund?;)

Gary Muto
07-13-2010, 7:18 AM
We're OK. No one got hurt.
No national emergency either. It actually improved some of the road surfaces. :)