PDA

View Full Version : What to pre-finish maple plywood with

Kerry Adams
07-07-2010, 5:36 PM
Good Evening,

I will be getting pre-finished plywood in, but for now I have two sheets that need to be pre- finished on inside for cabinets over washer and dryer. What waterbourne product should I get. My choices are Lowes, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore or General Products.
Can not wait for mail-order.

Thanks,
Kerry

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-07-2010, 5:51 PM
Did you know Sherwin Williams has both customer paint stores and commercial paint stores? They also sell their clear coat in specialized stores that cater to the furniture and cabinet trades. Call your local SW and ask the location of the store that handles clear coating. They will offer you a lot of knowledge and selection.
fmr

Kerry Adams
07-07-2010, 6:13 PM
Thanks, but I was at the Sherwin Williams store today and they offered me Mini wax!LOL Said they didn't have any other suggestions!

Kerry

Scott Holmes
07-07-2010, 6:27 PM
I'd go with:

General's Enduro Water Base Lacquer. Even though I dislike the word LACQUER in the name; it's NOT lacquer.
or
SHER-WOOD Acrylic Conversion Coating

Spraying is recommended

Joe Chritz
07-08-2010, 5:29 AM
Chem Aqua from Sherwin Williams or one of the Cab acrylic solvent finishes from them.

Is there a commercial SW store around. Some have much more knowledge than others.

Not sure on durability but the minwax polycrylic sprays fine and looks pretty good. Not my first choice but it works in a pinch.

Joe

Prashun Patel
07-08-2010, 9:27 AM
I see no problem with Minwax polycrylic for the insides of your cabinets.

And if yr not married to waterborne, I made an enclosed shelving unit for my kids that was finished in Minwax oilbased polyurethane. It's held up well to abuse. I don't find it to off-gas which is reported to be an issue on many finishes that are fully enclosed.

Rob Sack
07-08-2010, 2:04 PM
I've used Minwax Polyacrylic and have been less than impressed. For cabinet interiors though, it should be fine. If you can find M. L. Campbell's Agualente, I would highly recommend that instead. It's easier to apply, dries faster, dries harder, sands and buffs beautifully, and has better durability.

Jim Summers
07-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks, but I was at the Sherwin Williams store today and they offered me Mini wax!LOL Said they didn't have any other suggestions!

Kerry

Dude you got lucky, at the local SW here, every time I have gone in I have had to beg for assistance and then they simply point to the little cans of minwax. Aaarghh!

The minwax polycrylic is good. I even have good luck spraying it with my conventional compressor and lvlp gun.