PDA

View Full Version : An Auspicious Anniversary

Kent A Bathurst
07-07-2010, 9:39 AM
from NPR:

"Fifty years ago, Harper Lee had the kind of success that most writers only dream about: Shortly after her novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, was published on July 11, 1960, it hit the best-seller lists. In 1961, it won a Pulitzer Prize, and in 1962, it was made into an Academy Award-winning film. It has never gone out of print."

The talented lady wrote one novel. It won the Pulitzer Prize. The movie version was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, losing out to Lawrence of Arabia (but Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch won Best Actor over Peter O'Toole's Lawrence). The very first feature film role by an American icon - Robert Duvall, as Boo Radley.

My all-time favorite book. My vote for all-time best movie. I can give the highest possible recommendation to the CD set with Sissy Spacek reading the book - her phrasing and voice are an impeccable match to the story - you are absorbed into the place, people, and plot. Perfect for that stretch of I-16 through no-man's land between Macon and Savannah.

It happened that, in the late 80's, I spent about 2 years in Monroeville, AL, Miss Lee's hometown. One can feel the book all around you as you walk through town, and visit the courthouse. That is not a criticism of Monroeville or it's citizens, it is a reflection of how well Miss Lee captured the setting.

Seared in my mind is the facial expression in the wonderful bit of acting by the very young Mary Badham, as she slowly realizes who she is looking at - and then she says "Hey, Boo."

".... and Boo Radley had come out."

Belinda Barfield
07-07-2010, 9:45 AM
Here's an interesting read from last month's Smithsonian mag regarding the anniversary, and how much Ms. Lee loved her fame.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Harper-Lees-Novel-Achievement.html

Charlie Reals
07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Here's an interesting read from last month's Smithsonian mag regarding the anniversary, and how much Ms. Lee loved her fame.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Harper-Lees-Novel-Achievement.html

Belinda,Very interesting read, I read the book as a junior in high school in 1962. My Mom was from a small town in Alabama and added even more incite for a book report. It was the only one I ever got an A on lol. I do agree with the article, the movie did not do the book justice.
Charlie

Kent A Bathurst
07-07-2010, 1:08 PM
....... the movie did not do the book justice.......

Whaaa the...??? I'm afraid you are aiming at a target that simply isn't there.

From Belinda's referenced article:
"...Like life itself, Mockingbird has no neat, symmetrical story arc...That may be one reason the movie's producer....said there was no stampede to acquire film rights..."

The book is simply too good to be accuratley portrayed on screen in 90 - 120 minutes. Even the Hollywood-types couldn't easily figure out what to do with it. But - it is still easily one of the best films ever made.

The only movie that did the book justice, IMO, was 2001 - A Space Odyssey - because the Arthur C Clarke was writing the screenplay and the book/novelization at the same time. I thought Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner did a terriffic job in The Ten Commandments, but it didn't do the book justice. Doesn't mean it wasn't a great movie.

Sorry, Charlie - no disrespect - and, also, no agreement.

Charlie Reals
07-07-2010, 6:53 PM
whoa Kent, I wasn't aiming at a target, didn't say it wasn't a great movie and simply made a statement of fact as agreed to by the article.I have never known any movie to do a book justice period. Being the last time I read the book or saw the movie was almost 50 yrs ago please forgive an old fart a senior moment in not making myself clear. Or is there a difference in how english is taught on different coasts lol;)

Kent A Bathurst
07-08-2010, 9:29 AM
.........I have never known any movie to do a book justice period.....

We're not that far apart on that one.

Michael Weber
07-08-2010, 9:10 PM
About 25 years ago I was involved with a stage production of To Kill A Mockingbird. No play script existed and probably still does not. Our script was written by the director from the book. My son who was about 10 at the time played Jem, and I worked on the set. Like the book/movie it was very moving although it should have been abridged some. The director was writing the script as rehearsal proceeded and the man cast as Atticus Finch quit a couple of weeks before opening night:eek:. He believed the play would never occur because it was driving him crazy that the director had not finished the script. He thought it was in the best interest of the play that it just never happen and believed his leaving would stop the production. We got a new Atticus who did a fabulous job of memorization and it went off without a hitch. Thanks to the OP for jogging a pleasant memory.