PDA

View Full Version : With The Help Of Others:

Carl Eyman
04-04-2003, 6:04 PM
I am attaching a couple of pictures of the first of a batch of chairs I'm trying to make. Many of you here and on other forums have been very helpful. THANKS. Here is the progress so far. Like a dummy I left the scrap wood I'm using for a temporary seat in place for the picture. Keep the help coming and I'll try to keep the chairs coming.

Carl Eyman
04-04-2003, 6:07 PM
second picture

Ken Wright
04-04-2003, 7:40 PM
If you'll leave that scrap for the seat and list it on ebay as an antique you might get a couple of thousand for it ....

Bruce Page
04-04-2003, 7:58 PM
Carl, if I had two more centuries I still wouldn't have the skill to make those chairs!

Beautiful

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-04-2003, 8:08 PM
Beautiful work Carl! Really don't know what more to say............impressed is an understatement! OUTSTANDING! :D

Jim Young
04-04-2003, 8:12 PM
That looks great Carl. Can't wait to see the finished pics. I'm guessing it would take me a few years to get that far.

Phil Phelps
04-04-2003, 8:18 PM
...cause we'd screw 'em up. How you reference the carvings is super. How many more to go? That's where I'd really loose it. Great work.

Tom Stovell
04-04-2003, 9:06 PM
Nice job on the chairs, Carl. Are these the first that you've made? Can you give an estimate on the time, tools and process?
Thanks,
Tom

Jim Baker
04-04-2003, 9:41 PM
Beautiful chair, Carl.

Carl Eyman
04-04-2003, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. This is the first of ten. I have all parts for four more made, carved, but not sanded. I will start assembling them now. Based on assembling this one I'd guess that's about 8 days. Then I've got to make parts for another five chairs. Unlike all other major pojects I've attempted I've not kept a log on these. The table they'll go around was about 250 hours. As a wild guess one chair will be about the same. I wonder if my life expectancy at 81 is enough.

Hey, it gives me something to do. But the golf sure suffers. Thanks again for the encouragement.

By the way except for lawn chairs these are the first.

Dale Thompson
04-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Carl,
Very Impressive!! In addition, you can actually SIT on them. That is unlike the chairs which Mel Gibson was trying to make on the movie, "The Patriot". Great job--great movie.

Dale T.

Charles McKinley
04-05-2003, 12:02 AM
The carving is awesome! I don't even know where to begin. I'm starting to make slab benches. Your picture give me something to aspire to.

Halsey MCCombs
04-05-2003, 5:17 AM
Very fine craftsmanship,keep up the great work.Halsey

Dave Anderson NH
04-05-2003, 7:49 AM
little small for bathroom use? LOL

I am amazed at the speed of your progress considering the number of chairs you are making. The carving is coming out exceptionally well. Could you post a closeup pictue of the splat and the crest rail carvings when you get a chance? One of the reeding on the back posts would be nice too. You've done a great job and I'd really like to see picture when the first chair is completed with finish and cushion.

As for the golf, Sue played last Saturday, but is bummed out right now with 6" of yesterdays snow on the ground and more coming down right now as we speak. I expect we'll get another few inches today. Ah, you have to love spring in NH.