PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to add a cross inlay to a pen.

Donny Lawson
07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Is there a simple way to do this? I've tried to slice a 3/4 square piece down the middle and scrollsawing a cross in it and glueing it back together. I then turned it to size and filled in the cross but it doesn't seem to work as I wanted it to.What's another way to do this so it turns out right without all the trouble of cutting and glueing?Maybe it would be better to just glue on a cross(if I can find one)of the right size.Any suggestions?
Donny

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I think you're on to something with the scroll saw. You have to remember that the cross must fit within the boundaries of the finished pen. I don't know that I would cut the blank in half... I would drill a small hole so that you can get the scroll blade through the blank then cut it out. Then you can fill the void with colored epoxy(see coffee/epoxy thread), inlace, crushed stone, etc.

If you don't mind spending the money, there are several sites that sell laser cut cross blanks, and they're available in the classifieds on IAP from time to time.

Don Alexander
07-06-2010, 11:17 PM
i did this with a 1/8" strip of maple and with the use of a shop made jig to protect my fingers cut a slot about 1/2 way through my pen blank lengthwise (prior to turning it) and a crosscut slot same depth CA glue the maple strip into the cross slot first and the lengthwise slot second let set drill and turn as normal makes a nice looking easy to do cross

Jon Lanier
07-06-2010, 11:28 PM
You can order a kit like this one. I just needed to do a little sanding on the on the pieces for them to fit properly... glue in place. The turn as you normally would.

Cross Inlay Pen (http://www.lazerlinez.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DblCross)

Donny Lawson
07-07-2010, 6:37 AM
Who has those type of pen blanks.They do look nice.It would probally keep me from being so frustrated when making my own.
Donny

Steve Trauthwein
07-07-2010, 7:19 AM
Donny,

I did one for my sister by using a dremel tool to rought out the cross in a piece that was already turned. Cleaned it up with an exacto knife and filled it with turquoise. It came out quite nice.

Regards, Steve

John Hart
07-07-2010, 7:26 AM
Seems like anyone in the laser forum could help you out and laser the cross into your partially finished piece...then you could do the inlace thing with the filler of your choice like Steve is saying...that is...if you are handicapped with a dremel like me.:o

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
I have did a couple like Steve. I used a dremel and filled one with turquoise iinlace and the other with epoxy mixed with black india ink (wood was redheart). Came out pretty nice.

Jon Lanier
07-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Who has those type of pen blanks.They do look nice.It would probally keep me from being so frustrated when making my own.
Donny

http://www.lazerlinez.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DblCross