PDA

View Full Version : Help with wood

Karl Card
07-06-2010, 8:46 PM
I have a couple of boards that were given to me with a bunch of red oak. I do not know my domestic woods at all, well, except for walnut, cedar and cherry, sassafrass.

but anyway I have no ideal what this is and it is hard, i mean rock hard. Excuse the pics quality but best i can do for now. Well the second pic wont come up...

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 8:58 PM
Probably no way to know for sure, but I'll guess hickory. I have a few chucks with that same type of streaking... It's not spalt, but it's sure pretty.

Karl Card
07-06-2010, 9:04 PM
Probably no way to know for sure, but I'll guess hickory. I have a few chucks with that same type of streaking... It's not spalt, but it's sure pretty.

I took and picked up the board and I was like wow this is not red oak... This thing was pretty heavy. I sawed off a that board and planed it a bit and I figured my luck it would be something with a disease or soemthing.

Since that piece is cracked I think I need some pen blanks but I have quite few others that I think I will make smaller platters out of... That stuff was air dried for about 15 years...

John Hart
07-06-2010, 9:08 PM
dried for 15 years...heavy and hard....I'll guess ironwood. Hard to tell from the pic though

Allen Neighbors
07-06-2010, 9:15 PM
Bark and cambium looks like Pecan... the wood itself.... ?

brian watts
07-06-2010, 9:47 PM
by the bark like like hickory best i can tell..

Danny Hamsley
07-07-2010, 6:53 PM
The red mineral streaks and bark say hickory.

Karl Card
07-07-2010, 9:38 PM
Well after doing some looking and searching I am going to bet my money on hickory also.

I have about 6 or 7 pieces that size and hope they make a nice plate set.

Thanks for the help folks.

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Karl that looks like hickory to me.