PDA

View Full Version : dowel jig question

aurelio alarcon
12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Rockeler has an inexpensive dowel jig (around 40 bucks). I would like to buy a nice one that sells for around 180 bucks but can't afford it right now. Has anyone used this small inexpensive jig that rockeler offers, or should I not waste my money on it? If I purchase it, it will be used for small jobs until I can get the nice one that I have seen in some magazines lately. Thanks

Joseph N. Myers
12-03-2004, 1:05 AM
Aurelio,

Haven't used a dowel jig for well over 10 years now. Went to biscuit joining at the time and used them until maybe 4 years ago when I went to pocket hole screws.

I have a "edge -to-edge" doweling jig that I got from Leichtung Workshops, 800-321-6840, no web address I could find, $49.99. You put the 2 boards up to 2-1/4" each to be joined on either side of the jig and so the 4 holes always line up. Bushings supplied are 1/4, 1/2, 5/16 and 3/8 so that is a nice feature. You can buy packages of 3 extra bushings for $8.00/3 which speeds up installation.

Leichtung also sells a "self -centering" jig for $19.99, the same jig that Rockler's sells for $45.99. It handles stock upto 2" in the 4 sizes mentioned above.

The one dowel system that I do use occasionally is the "beadlock joinery system", sold by Rockler for $46.99 and it is more like a "floating" mortise and tenon system in sizes of 3/8" and 1/2". Instead of a single dowel, it is more like 3 dowels together, side-by-side and is really strong. Use that when a lot of strength is required and the pocket hole screw and/or biscuit joiner will not work.

Another dowel system that is new and one that I might try is the "Miller dowel system" which works almost like a counter sink/screw/plug system. The dowel is tapered as is the drill bit, you drill the hole through the outside piece into the inside piece, put on glue, hammer the taper dowel into the hole and when dried, trim off the excess.

It comes in 3 different bit sizes depending on the size of the outside board (1/2", upto 1" and upto 1-3/4), kits contains bit and 50 birch dowels and range from $32 to $45 depending on the size. Extra dowels for the 1" and 1-3/4" bits costs between $11 and $18 for 40 depending on the wood selected (walnut, cherry, oad or birch). For the 1/2 bits, between $14 and $25 for 100 dowels.

Regards, Joe

Tony Falotico
12-03-2004, 6:12 AM
I have the self centering dowel jig purchased from Woodcraft more than 15 yrs ago. Have used it on many occasions and it has always performed great, makes very accurate and tight joints. It is somewhat cumbersome and time consuming (as compared to a good biscuit joiner) but it does work great and is very accurate. Just make sure you have a good sharp drill bit, and clear the bit of wood-chips by pulling it out a couple times on each hole.

The one I have (B) can be seen at:
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=782&gift=False&mscssid=64E8188C34BE463E9EE65CDE6D6C61E7

Mike Tempel
12-03-2004, 8:37 AM
I have the deluxe model that Rockler sells for somewhere around $50 or less. It may be the same one you are talking about. I have used it quite frequently and it is very accurate and produces a very strong joint. Heck, for a couple of years there I wouldn't touch my biscuit jointer at all and preferred the strength of the doweled joint.

The one Rockler sells is quite capable for what I use it for so I have to ask why would one need a doweling jig for 180 bucks? I haven't seen it yet so maybe it does something really special that mine won't but it better for that kind of money.

aurelio alarcon
12-03-2004, 9:51 AM
I have the deluxe model that Rockler sells for somewhere around $50 or less. It may be the same one you are talking about. I have used it quite frequently and it is very accurate and produces a very strong joint. Heck, for a couple of years there I wouldn't touch my biscuit jointer at all and preferred the strength of the doweled joint.

The one Rockler sells is quite capable for what I use it for so I have to ask why would one need a doweling jig for 180 bucks? I haven't seen it yet so maybe it does something really special that mine won't but it better for that kind of money.The jig is called the DowelMax. It can be located at AMAZON. Maybe, due to this thread, I will re-evaluate purchasing such a costly dowel jig. Thanks!

Dan Gill
12-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I have an el-cheapo self-centering jig. (I can't even remember where I bought it.) It works. I found a great use for it recently that I didn't consider when I bought it - drilling countersunk holes to join one cabinet face frame to the next. Worked like a charm.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
I have the deluxe model from Woodcraft and it works great. Think it cost $45 or so.