PDA

View Full Version : I need HELP.....

brian watts
07-06-2010, 6:24 PM
this has been a problem for awhile now.. every time i see free WOOD i have to go get it. every day iam catch my self looking on the computer for WOOD.everyday i talk about WOOD.when iam at home iam turning WOOD.everyday i go to my wood stacks and look at the WOOD. i think you see that point.. i think i have a problem.you do you think?? have to say iam Addicted to WOOD..

Andrew Kertesz
07-06-2010, 6:29 PM
I really don't see a problem with that....

Roger Chandler
07-06-2010, 6:36 PM
Soooooo Brian,

Whats the problem?

Thom Sturgill
07-06-2010, 6:38 PM
It's a known side effect of being sucked into the vortex. I think John is our expert, but there should be a term for it. Woodphilia Vortexii?

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 6:41 PM
I don't think your post is complete. I got the part about your background with wood, etc, but I don't think you ever got to the problem. I'll stand by and check by in a few to see if you get the post fixed.

William Bachtel
07-06-2010, 7:04 PM
I have had that problem for over 40 years, I have over 20,000 bd ft of lumber, over 200 ruff bowls blanks, 20 or 30 logs in the yard waiting to be sawn on my bandsawmill. Yes I have a good wife, who also loves my woodworking and turning. Believe me you have no problem yet. Enjoy.

John Hart
07-06-2010, 7:24 PM
It's a known side effect of being sucked into the vortex. I think John is our expert, but there should be a term for it. Woodphilia Vortexii?

No no no....It's called "Spoiled Rotten" :eek:

Brian...you should be ashamed of yourself!!! Don't you know that there are starving turners living in Arizona?:eek:

Now...you just finish everything on your plate and be thankful. I don't want to hear another peep out of you Lil' Mister. Or you are going inside for all day.;)

Harvey Ghesser
07-06-2010, 8:03 PM
Boy wood I!!:eek:

Cathy Schaewe
07-06-2010, 8:03 PM
Like they all said, where's the problem?;)

Now if you went and got a new lathe three months after getting your first one, there might be a problem....:eek:

John Keeton
07-06-2010, 8:17 PM
Now if you went and got a new lathe three months after getting your first one, there might be a problem....:eek:Yes, Cathy, the criteria defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR; American Psychiatric Association, 2000) are the gold standard for diagnosing a severe addiction to the acquisition of the latest and greatest woodturning equipment.

Of particular interest are those subjects that cannot withstand the lure of a particularly good sale, and feel deep rooted compulsion to act immediately.

While treatable, the condition is most commonly thought to be hopeless. Typically, the subject patient spirals into hopeless despair and is often found watching objects spin aimlessly while attached to one of their most recent acquisitions.

There are other related maladies, often associated with surrounding oneself with assorted and sundry wood species, of varying shapes. Often those subjects simply sit and stare at their recent acquisitions as if in a trance. It is thought they are actually convinced that they lack sufficient wood to feel secure, and continue to acquire more than one could possible have need for.

Yes, a sad state indeed! I fear perhaps there are those among us that suffer from these ailments.

Thom Sturgill
07-06-2010, 8:18 PM
Oh, looked it up, its Lignophilia Vortexii. It so rampant among turners that few can admit to it. The only known cure is to send all of your stash to a willing recipient....

Of course the cure is worse than the disease.

Cathy Schaewe
07-06-2010, 8:21 PM
Yes, Cathy, the criteria defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR; American Psychiatric Association, 2000) are the gold standard for diagnosing a severe addiction to the acquisition of the latest and greatest woodturning equipment.

Of particular interest are those subjects that cannot withstand the lure of a particularly good sale, and feel deep rooted compulsion to act immediately.

While treatable, the condition is most commonly thought to be hopeless. Typically, the subject patient spirals into hopeless despair and is often found watching objects spin aimlessly while attached to one of their most recent acquisitions.

There are other related maladies, often associated with surrounding oneself with assorted and sundry wood species, of varying shapes. Often those subjects simply sit and stare at their recent acquisitions as if in a trance. It is thought they are actually convinced that they lack sufficient wood to feel secure, and continue to acquire more than one could possible have need for.

Yes, a sad state indeed! I fear perhaps there are those among us that suffer from these ailments.

I believe the non-legalese interpretation of what you said is: 'takes one to know one!':D

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 8:25 PM
...Often those subjects simply sit and stare at their recent acquisitions as if in a trance...

Sheesh... I was freaked out for a minute because I thought I had the illness. Finally, I realized that I usually fondle the wood for long periods of time rather than sitting and staring. Clearly, I don't have the illness.

John Hart
07-06-2010, 8:26 PM
...Of course the cure is worse than the disease.

I hear lacquer helps. (hic! :o 'cuse me):)

Richard Madison
07-06-2010, 8:27 PM
It could be worse. You could be addicted to TURNING wood.

Barry Elder
07-06-2010, 8:33 PM
And your point is?!

Baxter Smith
07-06-2010, 8:40 PM
Its only a problem if you are mentally and physically unable to find a piece of wood to turn because you have so many from which to choose in your pile.

Karl Card
07-06-2010, 8:50 PM
well man i am alwasy willing to help someone out.... if you have a bunch of wood in your life that is causing problems I would sure love to take care of it...lol

man do I know the feeling. I have alot but not near as much as some of these guys. I dont know what I will use it for but that doesnt matter, it just makes me feel good that I have it and i want more...

Oh one last thing, it is not a problem... not sure what it is, but I know what it aint...:)

Michael James
07-06-2010, 9:17 PM
Yes, Cathy, the criteria defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR; American Psychiatric Association, 2000) are the gold standard for diagnosing a severe addiction to the acquisition of the latest and greatest woodturning equipment.

and I add with regret <snicker> that there is NO 12 step program for this addiction:cool:, my local shill for all major turning mfg's told me, so it must be true!

Tom Sherman
07-06-2010, 9:36 PM
Hello my name is Tom and I have a wood jones....

Joe Wiliams
07-06-2010, 9:43 PM
and I add with regret <snicker> that there is NO 12 step program for this addiction:cool:, my local shill for all major turning mfg's told me, so it must be true!
At least there's a support group here;).....

Always willing to lend assistance:D

Jeff Fagen
07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
When I was a kid I hated going to the wood shed:eek:,...now I kinda like it.:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2010, 11:36 PM
And your problem is??????:D

Brian Brown
07-07-2010, 8:16 AM
Its only a problem if you are mentally and physically unable to find a piece of wood to turn because you have so many from which to choose in your pile.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :eek::eek::eek:

Bill Neff
07-07-2010, 9:19 AM
If you only have this vortex, I have no sympathy for you folks. Try having 2. My other hobby is bonsai. For years I'd see shrubs and small gnarly trees and think, "I wonder if the neighbor would miss that bush by their front porch?" or asking to dig up a small tree in a field, offering to dig out people's shrubs for them. Tools? oh yes they come from Japan and pots "But honey that pine really needed a new pot. How much? Well it was on sale for $50 off! How much? $200. "If I hide this new tree on this shelf she won't notice it."

Now I look at mature trees and think "Is that a burl?" "I wonder if they're planning on cutting that tree down?" "Wonder what's under that bark?" Ohhhh a new lathe tool, I need that chuck, "Honey you like mustard colored power tools don't you? Wouldn't that look great in our basement?"

Trees, trees, trees. Tools, tools, tools. Got ... to ... get ... help...

Bill

John Hart
07-07-2010, 9:24 AM
Thanks for that, Bill. I think I'll join the "Tree In A Tray" club too. I don't have enough to do. Besides...I can save $200 just by turning my own trays. This is going to be great!!!:)

Andy Hoyt
07-07-2010, 10:13 AM
I chopped down some of my neighbor's bonsai stuff years ago and turned ice cream bowls outta them. They were the ultimate in the single serving notion for those in the house on a diet.

Disclaimer: I am not now, nor ever have been, on a diet.

Michael James
07-07-2010, 11:42 PM
At least there's a support group here;).....

Always willing to lend assistance:D

Does a higher power I can do business with mean a larger motor? Cuz, I think thats what Im picking up on here..........;)

Harlan Coverdale
07-08-2010, 1:15 AM
this has been a problem for awhile now.. every time i see free WOOD i have to go get it. every day iam catch my self looking on the computer for WOOD.everyday i talk about WOOD.when iam at home iam turning WOOD.everyday i go to my wood stacks and look at the WOOD. i think you see that point.. i think i have a problem.you do you think?? have to say iam Addicted to WOOD..

You do realize this is like telling a saloon full of people that you think you have a drinking problem, don't you?

C'mon over here, let me buy you a drink. :p

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2010, 1:50 AM
Harlan,

You misunderstand what he's saying......He's saying he has full bottles and wants to party.....but can't decide whether he wants scotch, bourbon or vodka.:eek: