PDA

View Full Version : a little dogwood gloat

charlie knighton
07-06-2010, 5:25 PM
neighbors dogwood had died, it does have crack down side, sort of like lighting strike, but tree is not big enough to have been hit, it was between two houses

7 feet plus long, will turn in one piece, will use this piece for climbing the learning curve :D:eek::D

John Keeton
07-06-2010, 5:33 PM
Congrats, Charlie! That is about the straightest dogwood trunk I have seen in awhile.

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2010, 5:59 PM
Congrats Charlie.

brian watts
07-06-2010, 6:18 PM
WOW.. love to turn dogwood..

Thom Sturgill
07-06-2010, 6:40 PM
<snip>7 feet plus long, will turn in one piece, will use this piece for climbing the learning curve :D:eek::D

Trying to compete with Matt?
Can't wait to see what's hidden in that there log.

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 6:42 PM
Never turned dogwood, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside. Congrats on the wood.

Allen Neighbors
07-06-2010, 7:23 PM
Great score!! One piece? What lathe do you have? You making a porch post? :)

Baxter Smith
07-06-2010, 7:41 PM
If you can dig out the base where the roots branch out you can get some pretty stuff.....Makes for a great mallet too.

Harvey Ghesser
07-06-2010, 7:58 PM
Congrats, Charlie! Looks like you've got work to do!
Looking forward to seeing what you create!:D

charlie knighton
07-06-2010, 9:45 PM
That is about the straightest dogwood trunk I have seen in awhile.

i agree John, the first sun to reach it everyday would be almost directly overhead.

Trying to compete with Matt?

Thom , i have turned a couple multi axis pieces, this one will be one axis but more carving, dogwood does not have much sapwood, so i am on the lookout for some black walnut in same size

One piece? What lathe do you have? You making a porch post?

Allen, i have the 1.5 jet evs with large extension, this will be more of wood scupture, but i have the equipment to do porch post, i saw a demo one time where turner discussed it, he said you probably would want to glue up some white oak, and he suggested you paint it instead of oil it

If you can dig out the base where the roots branch out you can get some pretty stuff

Baxter, i listening, you seem to know where "it's" hidden

thanks for looking Bernie, Brian, David, Harvey