PDA

View Full Version : Roman 3 line font

Brant Caldwell
07-06-2010, 5:21 PM
Hey sawmill,
I am really in a pinch here with a client that has pre existing plaques that i have to match. the font is called Roman Three Line.
I have searched and searched with little result. the best i could find is other engraving sites with a image of the font. If you have this font or know where i can get it or buy it i would be very grateful.

Mike Null
07-06-2010, 6:23 PM
Brant

That font is for a rotary/diamond drag engraver.

I have Roman 2 line and Roman 4 line on my engraver.

I doubt that you can find it without buying a software program.

If you'll list your equipment we may be of more help.

Ron Chapellaz
07-06-2010, 6:26 PM
I have a 3 line roman font for my machine, but it might be cheaper to ship out the little plates and have them engraved rather than look to buy the font. If you need any more help, let me know.

Ross Moshinsky
07-06-2010, 9:20 PM
You're over thinking this. I assume you are a laser guy? If so, just use Times New Roman. Every week we get multi plate plaques which have plates engraved in several different fonts, at different sizes, with different spacing, ect. You'd be amazed the kind of stuff we see.

In the end, you can try to match things up, but if they engrave the height of the letters at .12367" and use 87% compression the letters, you will never pick up on this and get it a 100% match. Get it close and move on. In this case I'd definitely say 3 Line Roman is basically the same thing is Times New Roman. I wouldn't think twice about using it unless I knew I had the most anal customer in the world. If they were the most anal customer in the world, I would strongly suggest redoing the previous work so everything matches up.

Mike Null
07-06-2010, 9:22 PM
Very good point!

Tony Lenkic
07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
3 line roman font is much different then Times roman.
Here is a sample of three fonts on my system.

John Barton
07-07-2010, 7:06 AM
I tell the client in these situations to provide the font or accept a suitable substitute.

Times New Roman is close enough and if not 100% can be tweaked to match the spacing and size of previous work.

It's highly likely that they have given you the font choice that was used on the last run just because that's what they have for information.

I go through this What The Font merry go round a couple times a year.

Just give them above option and 99% they will let you do your thing.

A great font website that you might not be aware of is www.dafont.com

When you search for a font there they also give you results from three other font websites.

Brant Caldwell
07-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you for all the responses. I do have a Epilog Legend 24tt laser but these name plates are on stainless steel and need to match a few hundred that have already been made by another vendor. I cant get anything from the laser to match the same look so im using our Roland Engraver that uses Dr. Engrave.

Hilton Lister
07-07-2010, 4:13 PM
Coreldraw X3 comes with simulated line fonts (G series). Nimbus Roman & Century would be the closest matches. I haven't tried to use them on the Laser, but they run fine on the rotaries, albeit a little slow. Check your disks.

Colleen Williams
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Brant,

You are in luck! I use the Roman 3 line font all the time - it is one of the free fonts that Roland has on the website for use with Dr. Engrave. Just go to their support page for the software and you will find a font pack there. Go through the install of it and you are good to go!