PDA

View Full Version : A little walnut gloat -

John Keeton
07-06-2010, 4:46 PM
On my way the last week, I noticed a walnut tree had been taken down. I stopped, asked, and was told I could have all I wanted. I didn't have a lot of time, so I picked up a couple of pieces - cut them in half, sealed them and put them in the barn.

Kept passing by that stuff twice a day, so on Friday, I went in with the truck, and picked up three more pieces. Went ahead and made rounds of these - all 12" wide, and ranging from 4" - 5.5" thick.

Sealed them and tossed them in the barn for another day!!

Not much news, but thought I would share my good fortune!:) The rest of the tree is still there - and, I am tempted to take the truck in again tomorrow. Temps are in the mid 90's?!?!!?:eek: Not sure I am motivated enough.

Steve Schlumpf
07-06-2010, 4:49 PM
Excellent gloat! Take your truck and pick the wood up first thing in the morning! Congrats on the walnut - I know how much you like it!

James Roberts
07-06-2010, 4:56 PM
Sweet! I know the feeling of passing by free wood but I have more than I really need. Now, if I were you....?

"Don't worry Dear, this wood won't take up too much space, honest!";)

charlie knighton
07-06-2010, 5:08 PM
good gloat, enjoy

Joe Wiliams
07-06-2010, 5:09 PM
Better get them bookshelves done...:D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-06-2010, 5:12 PM
On my way the last week, I noticed a walnut tree had been taken down. I stopped, asked, and was told I could have all I wanted. I didn't have a lot of time, so I picked up a couple of pieces - cut them in half, sealed them and put them in the barn.

Kept passing by that stuff twice a day, so on Friday, I went in with the truck, and picked up three more pieces. Went ahead and made rounds of these - all 12" wide, and ranging from 4" - 5.5" thick.

Sealed them and tossed them in the barn for another day!!

Not much news, but thought I would share my good fortune!:) The rest of the tree is still there - and, I am tempted to take the truck in again tomorrow. Temps are in the mid 90's?!?!!?:eek: Not sure I am motivated enough.

Wow John, you wouldn't let this beautiful Black Walnut go to waste would you ??
Yes it's hot up here to, it got up to about 34C (93F) here the last few days, and so I have spend just a few hours in the evening on the lathe, still stayed in the mid 70's as a low overnight.

A couple more runs with just small loads and you will have lots of nice wood to turn AFTER the shelves are done :eek: :p ;)

John Keeton
07-06-2010, 5:31 PM
"Don't worry Dear, this wood won't take up too much space, honest!";)Ah, James, but Ms. Keeton has her own space - the barn is MINE!!!

Better get them bookshelves done...:D

A couple more runs with just small loads and you will have lots of nice wood to turn AFTER the shelves are done :eek: :p ;)My commitment was to "not turn on the lathe until the bookshelves are done!" I don't recall anything being said about the chainsaw and bandsaw!:D

Just may have to take the truck in again tomorrow! I can wait until the sun goes down to get out the chainsaw.

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2010, 6:01 PM
Great gloat John. I sure wouldn't let that walnut go to waste. That barn will hold a heck of a lot more wood.:D:rolleyes:;)

Pete Jordan
07-06-2010, 6:11 PM
I think maybe you could turn walnut shelves.

Tony De Masi
07-06-2010, 6:25 PM
Nice gloat John. Now back to work on those there shelves so you can commence spinnin soon.

Tony

brian watts
07-06-2010, 6:25 PM
very nice go back and get the rest..

Karl Card
07-06-2010, 6:30 PM
hmmmm just think I am not to far from you....lol

Baxter Smith
07-06-2010, 7:44 PM
Whats 90 when there is free walnut! Great gloat!

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 7:51 PM
You should definitely go back for the rest. If you don't, you'll likely regret it. If you do get it and start to have second thoughts, I'll gladly cover shipping to Oklahoma.:D

John Hart
07-06-2010, 7:54 PM
Yeah...you gotta get the rest. The blanks you have are great!! The only safe place for the rest of it is in your barn.

Allen Neighbors
07-06-2010, 8:08 PM
Yeah...you gotta get the rest. The blanks you have are great!! The only safe place for the rest of it is in your barn.

Or in mine! :D
Oh... I don't have a barn... shucks!:mad:

Tom Sherman
07-06-2010, 10:03 PM
John if you don't get the rest of that walnut. the next project will be a self kicking station :D

Aaron Wingert
07-07-2010, 5:07 PM
My commitment was to "not turn on the lathe until the bookshelves are done!" I don't recall anything being said about the chainsaw and bandsaw!:D

Said like a true barrister! :D

Great job on the walnut John. Free walnut is pretty hard to beat. I believe I'd get up early and take advantage.

Chris Stolicky
07-07-2010, 9:14 PM
You're never going to finish that bookshelves.

Soon it will be, "Well, I only won't turn on days that end with a 'y', okay honey?" " I will work on the bookshelves the other days."

Michael Short
07-07-2010, 9:47 PM
John,

Those are not looking like shelves to me.... Well maybe round feet for those shelves.... Think the wife will buy that one??

I don't think the vortex sucked you in .... I think you are the vortex... :)

Later,
Mike

Curt Fuller
07-07-2010, 9:53 PM
They don't look like bookcase parts to me!;););)

Greg Just
07-07-2010, 11:36 PM
So did you go get the rest of the walnut?

John Keeton
07-08-2010, 7:01 AM
Picked up the five remaining good size pieces last nite. It had started to check pretty badly, but I still think I can salvage some good blanks from it. With any luck, that will be 10 more!

There was more, but with the checking, it was smaller than I want to fool with.

This wood came from a fellow that does some tree removal on the side, so I am hopeful it will result in some wood in the future.

On a bizarre, and sad note, when I got the original load (prior to the pic of the rounds), there was a fellow there that I had actually put in jail a couple of times when I was prosecuting. We still had a good relationship - one of those guys that knew he deserved time, and understood I was just doing my job. He helped me load the walnut.

I was informed yesterday that he died the following day in a head on collision.

One never knows what tomorrow holds - live each day like it is your last!!

John Hart
07-08-2010, 8:56 AM
...One never knows what tomorrow holds - live each day like it is your last!!

Wow...that is just awful. That kind of thing would really stick with me for a while. But you're right....and I do....no matter what. Good words Mr. Keeton.