PDA

View Full Version : Best Small Shop Table saw

John Burns
07-06-2010, 1:06 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my bosch 4000 series table saw for something with more rip capacity (36'' would be great). My shop space is small, so I'm looking for the most compact solution out there. Any recommendations?

Jamie Buxton
07-06-2010, 1:12 PM
36" rip pretty much tells you how big the saw is going to be.

I'm impressed by the new Unisaw, the PM2000, and the Sawstops.

Carroll Courtney
07-06-2010, 1:33 PM
Cabinet saw has a smaller footprint than a contractors saw,w/a detachable outfeed table it will fit a small shop, give yrs of service---Carroll

Jason White
07-06-2010, 1:47 PM
Home Depot stopped selling them, but you might be able to find a RIDGID TS3650/3660 contractor saw used on Craigslist. It was my "starter" saw and was/is a wonderful machine (my neighbor has it now).

Jason

I'm looking to upgrade my bosch 4000 series table saw for something with more rip capacity (36'' would be great). My shop space is small, so I'm looking for the most compact solution out there. Any recommendations?

glenn bradley
07-06-2010, 2:12 PM
As mentioned, a cabinet or hybrid style body will be a smaller footprint. Contractor style designs also bring along alignment woes that I would avoid.

Rod Sheridan
07-06-2010, 4:45 PM
I bought a small Euro slider for my shop, located in the basement of a townhouse.

It's the same footprint as a 30" rip cabinet saw (I had a General 650), yet the Hammer saw has far greater capacity and accuracy.

I bought a B3 Winner with the 49" slider, it has a tilting spindle shaper in it as well.

That replaced two machines, making my shop more spacious.

Is it ever nice to have a shaper with a tilting spindle and a sliding table.

Hammer make a K3 model that's a saw only.

This is the second Euro machine I've purchased, the first was a Hammer A3-31 12" jointer/planer. It replaced a General jointer and planer, once again, more capacity, less space taken up.

Regards, Rod.

Neil Brooks
07-06-2010, 5:37 PM
John,

Here's one of those answers that ... really ISN'T an answer ....

I've got the 4100. With infeed rollers, outfeed rollers, and the left and back extensions that Bosch sells ... along with ... the digital rip fence, a Forrest WWII blade, and the Incra 1000SE miter gauge ... I get absolutely great results.

Every time I start looking at used TS's (mostly PM and Unisaw), I ... ask myself what problem I'm trying to solve.

So far ... the answer is ... none.

In other words, I'm sure a Delta or PM contractor's saw would be a good purchase, but ... have you taken your Bosch as far as it can go ?

For me, the answer was/is no. It cuts straight, has plenty of power for my 8" Forrest Dado King, and has the capacity for all my needs, including making "fine furniture."

Just another way to look at it .....

Igor Petrenko
07-06-2010, 6:04 PM
I remember on woodwoking show guy was demoing some magnetic things on small tablesaw that was super quiet and looked super precise. Anyone got idea what saw was that?

Paul McGaha
07-06-2010, 6:22 PM
I would suggest a cabinet saw. The Hybrid saws have some of the good features of a cabinet saw (Like good dust collection) but have smaller motors.

if you have the time and live in an area where you can make use of craigslist I would target a manufacturer or two (Maybe Powermatic and Delta) and try to find a used one in excellent condition that you could buy at a significant savings as compared to a new one.

If I were buying a new one I suppose I'd do a PM-2000. There was a thread recently on a new one being set up and it looked like just a great saw.

PHM

Loren Hedahl
07-06-2010, 6:52 PM
I remember on woodwoking show guy was demoing some magnetic things on small tablesaw that was super quiet and looked super precise. Anyone got idea what saw was that?

If it was the same guy I saw at the Puyallup, Wa show five - six or so years ago his company was "Mesa Vista Design" out of Rio Rancho, NM selling "The Magnetic Featherboard" Grip-Tite Guide GT Pro. I was intrigued by his demo and bought a set of his Magnetic Featherboards. They have worked out real well.

Back to the saw he was using. I don't know what blade was installed, but the saw he was demo'ing with was an old Craftsman contractor saw. I asked him why that saw and if there was anything special about it. He answered that it was just a saw he already had. The only thing special was that he did a super tune-up each time it was set up to demo and had replaced the motor and arbor bearings with some premium ones from a bearing house.

At that show the fellow demo'ing the Incra fence and another one demo'ing a premium blade (can't remember if it was Ridge or Forrest) were also using C-man contractor saws.

In my case I use a track guided circular saw for breaking down plywood, a Delta turret radial arm for cross cutting and a small DeWalt bench saw or a Delta bandsaw for ripping. Several years ago I had a Ridgid contractor saw for ripping. Since I never get over 12 inches in stock width, I removed the wings and cut the fence down to just fit the narrow saw. When I found I didn't even need that, I gave the Ridgid CS to my son-in-law.

jim hedgpeth
07-06-2010, 7:13 PM
Grizzly's G0661 has been a good saw for me so far. The motor is under the table, not out back, so the footprint is not to bad. You can run it on 110, or 220. It's heavier than a Bosch, but not as heavy as most cabinet saws. I think the plate on mine says something just shy of 300lbs.

Only 2hp, but it has cut everything I have thrown at it. Enough power for all the dado's I have ran so far, but none of them have been really deep, 1/4 - 3/8 usualy and about 3/4 wide.

I went with it a couple years back when it was on sale, mainly for the riving knife, and dust hook-up. My old B&D special was on its way out, and I figure this one should last me the rest of my lifetime, unless I get rich enough for a Sawstop.:D

Jim

John Burns
07-06-2010, 7:17 PM
I do have all of the accessories that bosch sells, but my issue recently has mostly been the accuracy of the fence. It's better now after re-calibrating it, but still not great.

Philip Johnson
07-06-2010, 8:34 PM
If your leaning toward a good cabinet saw I certainly don't want to talk you out of it as I consider it the heart of a shop and would never part with mine.
If your happy with the Bosch but just need more rip capacity once in a while have you considered a track saw? A few months ago I could see no reason to own a track saw I even argued with the Festool rep at a tool show about how I see no use for one when you have a good table saw. Well things change and I had about 10 sheets of ply to break down and no help and few other projects so I picked one up on sale. It really works pretty slick to lay a sheet down and break it into pieces I can handle. Between that and repairs at the sister in law and daughters houses I have found more uses for that saw. I could not tell much difference in cut quality between the track saw and the pm66 with a forrest blade on it. I figured I have 30 days to try it out and return it if I am not happy well no way is it going back. I think if space is tight a track saw is certainly a viable option to a bigger table saw.

Phil

John McClanahan
07-06-2010, 8:53 PM
You didn't mention your budget, or if you plan to shop for new or used. So, first, if you can pick it by yourself, sit it down and keep looking! Sounds like your are looking for a cast iron top and belt drive. Most saw tables are 27" front to back. Width will depend on the fence rails used.

John

John Burns
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I've already drunk the Festool Kool-Aid, and I love my TS55 tracksaw for breaking down sheets. I'm on the fence if I should get a Festool MFT table system to supplement my table saw or replace it a contractor/ small cabinet saw.

Zach England
07-06-2010, 11:21 PM
pm2000 with 5hp motor and short rails will most likely be my next saw. I took the middle upgrade route from the Bosch (which I did own) and bought a jet hybrid. It's ok, but I feel like I could do better. I doubt my work will be any better, but the jet just doesn't make me say "damn, that's a nice saw" when I move the fence and power it up. High-end hand tools have made me want high-end power tools.

Just waiting to get the 220v service...

Van Huskey
07-06-2010, 11:46 PM
I am a huge PM2000 fanboy BUT before we go crazy what is your budget?

John Burns
07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I could go up to $3k on a new saw.

Will Overton
07-07-2010, 12:26 PM
There are some really nice saws you can get within that price range. I have a 1.75hp SawStop on order. It may or may not be for you, but if you haven't yet, you should check out their website.

http://sawstop.com/

Paul McGaha
07-07-2010, 12:31 PM
John,

I suggest you look up a thread from Joe Leigh about the purchase and set up of a PM 2000 he bought.

Very impressive.

PHM

Rod Sheridan
07-07-2010, 12:40 PM

If that's your price point John, I think it would be a mistake to not look at the Hammer K3 slider that's on sale in the USA now.

You couldn't convince me to go back to a cabinet saw after buying a small slider for my very small workshop.

Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
07-07-2010, 1:29 PM

Powermatic PM2000
Delta Unisaw
Sawstop PCS

and just for Rod, the Hammer K3

The Uni and the Hammer may be a wee bit over your budget but close. You can't go wrong with any one of the saws. I fought with myself over the three cabinet saws and in the end I bought the PM2000, I think it is the best 10" cabinet saw under $3500, the only one I would trade it for is the Sawstop ICS. There will also be strong opinions about the other three and rightfully so.

Prashun Patel
07-07-2010, 1:30 PM
Take a look at the Grizzly G0700 or G0623.

Especially the G0700 looks nice and tight.

Chris Tsutsui
07-07-2010, 2:03 PM
The Bosch 4000 suits my needs, and if I need to rip bigger panels I just use the TS55 which actually feels safer than maneuvering large panels on a cabinet saw.

If I had my way though, I'd sell the 4000 and upgrade to a Euro Slider, but in the mean time, the TS55 lets me do things the Bosch can't.

Brian Penning
07-07-2010, 4:53 PM
As you can see my shop is pretty small. Everything is on wheels. The 8" jointer tucks nicely between the outfeed table and the wall.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/SzE0Mf_fheI/AAAAAAAAS1Y/EHSAR94JJlk/s640/IMG_3994.JPG

John Burns
07-07-2010, 6:34 PM
Your shop looks about the same size is mine. How wide is it? Do you find it limiting to have such a big saw?

Zach England
07-07-2010, 6:58 PM
You guys have no idea what small is.

Brian Penning
07-07-2010, 7:38 PM
Little less than 12' by 20' long.
Nope, not limiting at all. Rarely have to move it.

Your shop looks about the same size is mine. How wide is it? Do you find it limiting to have such a big saw?

eric buggeln
07-07-2010, 7:51 PM
You should see if they make a Rouseseau Table Saw Stand with outfeed for your saw. The first thing you would do is throw away your stock fence. Theres rides on the stand not the saw and after calibrating has remained very accurate. The stand and outfeed take up little room and are the perfect compliment to the Festool line up. Eric

Tim Put
07-07-2010, 10:40 PM
You guys have no idea what small is.

Agreed.

7'x9'