PDA

View Full Version : Milk Paint Technique

Prashun Patel
07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm making a couple of toy chests for my kids out of poplar. I'm going to try my hand at milk paint. Couple q's:

1. Milk paint is usually applied over raw wood. However, since it's expensive, I hate using it for the priming coat. Can I instead use a primer like Zinsser BIN or even just dewaxed shellac?

2. Will milk paint look better over pine? I've never used it before, but my instinct is it's more appropriate on woods with prominent grain?

Tom McMahon
07-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I've used milk paint several times to create an antique looking finish. It works well for that, but if what you want is just a solid color paint job I think modern paint is much easier. Milk paint has a few traits to be aware of. 1. It has a very short shelf life it's best to use it up as soon as it is mixed. 2. It doesn't cover well it need multiple coats. 3. It usually needs a clear coat to seal it and it doesn't adhere to some things. I would suggest you do tests on scrap to be sure it is the finish you want.

Joe Cunningham
07-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I've used it over dewaxed shellac a few times. No problems, though it can rub off at the edges. I generally put down a couple garnet shellac coats, then the milkpaint. Then while applying danish oil or BLO, inevitably some rubs off at the edges.

Another option, which I've also used, is to ~double the water content and use that for the first couple of coats. Eventually the mixed milk paint will start to thicken up as I take the water out (I use foam brushes) with these early coats.

I'll see if I can find any other pics tonight on my home computer.

Here's a table I posted up here on SMC last year. I put down the garnet shellac on the entire piece, then top coated with the black milk paint.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103922

Prashun Patel
07-06-2010, 1:22 PM
Thanks, Guys. Joe, nice table. I hope you've since gotten some bedsheets (re: first pic)...

Yr pix are helpful. I want the grain to show more, so I'm going to use ash. I think I'll also thin it down a mite.

Jose Morales-Wade
07-06-2010, 1:34 PM
Mix your milk paint, and apply at least two very thin coats. First coat will work as a sealer. After which, the finish will look terrible. Hang in there and apply a second coat. This will even the whole thing. You may apply a 3rd coat if you want. The color will not be uniform like with latex paint, it will have small variations. You can then seal the paint.