PDA

View Full Version : Scenic (prewood?) gloat

Baxter Smith
07-06-2010, 8:58 AM
Everyone likes pics and these are a little different.
Even though I thoroughly enjoyed my recent dry wood turnings, I can’t seem to help myself when it comes to collecting the green stuff.
I have had my eye on this tree for about as long as I can remember.
This past winter/spring there were some strong winds so the top broke off.
It was what was at the bottom that was of interest.
To be continued…….

Pete Jordan
07-06-2010, 9:11 AM
Wow Baxter!

I can't wait to see the inside of that!

Roger Chandler
07-06-2010, 9:25 AM
Baxter,

Is that spruce native to Delaware, are you making a trip to Canada or elsewhere to cut that burl? I used to live in N.J. and there were a few around, but not many with a lake that size nearby. Most were planted as a part of the landscape of homes or parks.

John Hart
07-06-2010, 9:32 AM
Personally...I don't think the wind broke that tree in half. Considering motive and intent....there may be a little "Baxter Force" at work here. Hmmm.:rolleyes:

Nice score!!! Can't wait for the inevitable masterpiece.:)

bob svoboda
07-06-2010, 9:43 AM
Way Cool! Can't wait for the continuation.

John Keeton
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Baxter, I have never seen a burl hollow form that large!!!:eek::D Better harvest the rest of that trunk for the finial!:D

charlie knighton
07-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Baxter stricks again!!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Holy cow Baxter that should make some great turnings. Can't wait to see that one.

Tony De Masi
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Nice pre-score there Baxter. Let the fun begin.

Tony

Allen Neighbors
07-06-2010, 2:21 PM
Waiting.... with bated breath.... :D

brian watts
07-06-2010, 2:43 PM
WOW..great find.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-06-2010, 2:47 PM
Everyone likes pics and these are a little different.

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed my recent dry wood turnings, I can’t seem to help myself when it comes to collecting the green stuff.

Hé Baxter, that's going to be some heavy turpentine throwing burl after you have it on the lathe :D

I've seen quite a few of these burls, turned a small one onetime, and found out why they are often called Onion burls, as they do look like layers of wood in the same way a Onion is build up.

Hope you are going to like turning that monster, and you better wear some disposable rain-gear :eek: :)

charlie knighton
07-06-2010, 3:50 PM
you better wear some disposable rain-gear

can anyone eloborate on that statement

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 3:54 PM
That looks like a lot of fun... Now cut that tree down and show us what's inside.

Matt Hutchinson
07-06-2010, 4:06 PM
Wow, nice one! I am totally jealous. :D

Hutch

James Roberts
07-06-2010, 5:11 PM
Great Googly Moogly! That thing is huge. Should be a pen blank in there somewhere.:D

Jim Underwood
07-06-2010, 6:34 PM

Because it's gonna throw off a lot of sap. And spruce sap is as bad as pine sap.... You ever try to get it out of clothes?:eek:

Roger Chandler
07-06-2010, 6:38 PM
I still want to know if this is a DELAWARE spruce?

Baxter Smith
07-06-2010, 7:36 PM
Baxter,

Is that spruce native to Delaware, are you making a trip to Canada or elsewhere to cut that burl?
Sorry I can't reveal the location yet. Bernie may have returned home with his truck but its probably unloaded and.....:D

Personally...I don't think the wind broke that tree in half. Considering motive and intent...:)
The fact that I started turning bowls in Decmber and that tree snapped off after 50 years is pure coincidence!:D

Baxter, I have never seen a burl hollow form that large!!!:eek::D
Neither has my lathe!!:eek::D

Holy cow Baxter ...QUOTE]
I knew you would feel that way! Do you tow a boat behind that truck?;):D

[QUOTE=Tony De Masi;1461505]Nice pre-score there Baxter. Let the fun begin.

Tony
It has!!

Waiting.... with bated breath....
Don't hold your breath. I have only dug out some rocks around the roots to see whats up. Or down there. I haven't mentioned this to the chain on my saw yet.

Hé Baxter, that's going to be some heavy turpentine throwing burl after you have it on the lathe

I've seen quite a few of these burls, turned a small one onetime, and found out why they are often called Onion burls, as they do look like layers of wood in the same way a Onion is build up.

Hope you are going to like turning that monster, and you better wear some disposable rain-gear :eek: :)
It probaly won't be the nicest looking burl I ever turn but being the biggest should count for something!

I may be turning much of this looking through a layer of pitch on the faceshield!

Wow, nice one! I am totally jealous. :D

Hutch
Same way I feel about your lathe!:D

I still want to know if this is a DELAWARE spruce?
Don't you recognize a Delaware beach when you see one?;):D

Roger Chandler
07-06-2010, 7:58 PM
Don't you recognize a Delaware beach when you see one?;):D[/QUOTE]

Baxter,

I've been through Delaware numerous times, and no I've never seen a Delaware beach like the one in your first picture. That is what prompted the question.... the picture does not lend itself to a Delaware tree.

I was not asking for a specific location [I think you are prudent to keep that to yourself :D] but just the general area of the find.....Maybe a state or a statement such as "Northeast USA" or "Mid Atlantic USA" or maybe "North of the USA"

Just thought it an interesting thing you being in Delaware, and not too many spruce are "Native" to the area....:)

Karl Card
07-06-2010, 8:54 PM
this is much better than fishing....

Baxter Smith
07-06-2010, 8:58 PM
Don't you recognize a Delaware beach when you see one?;):D

I was not asking for a specific location [I think you are prudent to keep that to yourself :D] but just the general area of the find.....Maybe a state or a statement such as "Northeast USA" or "Mid Atlantic USA" or maybe "North of the USA"

[/QUOTE]
Since the buoys don't show in picture 1, think lobster.:D

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 9:00 PM
You found a giant burl outside of Red Lobster? Mmmmm... I love their cheese biscuits.

John Hart
07-06-2010, 9:06 PM
You found a giant burl outside of Red Lobster? Mmmmm... I love their cheese biscuits.

THAT was funny!!! Thank you!:D

Keith Burns
07-06-2010, 9:14 PM
Looks like a big time score to me ! Sheeeeze...................

Roger Chandler
07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Baxter,

I have a friend who is from Maine, and a lot of folks who know him call him a Mainiac [meaning being from Maine]

I do realize that Maine has a lot of spruce...... great find on the burl, and we all look forward to what you turn out of that thing....:) Oh, by the way, watch out for that sap, I had two in my yard, one I had to cut down because it was always dripping sap on my vehicles in the driveway, and ruined the paint job on my pickup!

On the one on the other side of the property, the sap rolls out of it like hot fudge running down the side of a kids ice cream cone, when it gets hot in the summer time. Leo's idea about the rain gear might be one to consider! ;)