PDA

View Full Version : How to increase synrad j48-2s power ?

patrice mange
07-06-2010, 8:29 AM
Hello

I would know if it's possible to increase the output power of my SYNRAD J48-2S (witch is 25W) to 40W or 60W. This device is mounted on a engraving process "LASERPRO". I send some pictures of the machine, the laser and the power bloc. Thank you for your interest and your help.

Dan Hintz
07-06-2010, 8:35 AM
If you do swap for a more powerful cartridge, you will more than likely need a heftier power supply (although the one you have appears to be a beast... tough to get a good sense of scale from that pic). Moving from a 25W to a 60W cartridge takes significantly more power. You'll also need to ensure you get the proper voltage... there have been a few threads in the past about Synrad's tweaked voltage supplies with certain date ranges for cartridges, with voltage differences of only a couple of volts being enough to either trash the cartridge (too high) or prevent it from firing (too low). Others will give more details, as appropriate to your specific situation.

Mike Null
07-06-2010, 8:56 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Synrad tech support will be happy to advise you.

My opinion is that you would be better off buying a machine with the power you want.

Richard Rumancik
07-06-2010, 10:19 AM
The Synrad 48-series only comes as 25 watt and 50 watt off-the-shelf. They make other wattages as "specials" sometimes by simply sorting the production units. But the 50 watt will need a 28 amp supply; your MeanWell supply is rated 18 amps. So you need a new tube, and a new power supply. (You cannot upgrade a tube, you need to replace it.)

You need to contact GCC for further advice, to ensure the optics are good for 50 watt. I think the 30-watt machines can be upgraded to 50 without changing optics but better check.

If you can get a power supply and tube surplus it might work financially but it will be an expensive upgrade if purchased new.

The cheapest thing would be to get a refurbished 30-watt Synrad tube that is running at 35 watts. They you don't need to change the power supply.

If you buy a surplus tube you may need to do a bit of rewiring inside the laser housing for the keyswitch (defeat it and add an external harness from the old tube.)

Also make sure your power supply voltage is adjusted to match the laser tube tuning voltage.

Niklas Bjornestal
07-06-2010, 2:15 PM
The machine looks like a mercury I, and they was available with both 40W and 60W lasers, so it should be possible to upgrade it.

Rodne Gold
07-06-2010, 4:38 PM
I think he wants to supercharge the tube , not get another?

Dan Hintz
07-06-2010, 4:48 PM
You're right, Rodney, now that I reread the original post it does appear that way...

Patrice, if that's the case, the answer is an absolute 'not possible'...

patrice mange
07-07-2010, 8:30 AM
AT first, i thank you for your interest !

Rodney & Dan are right, i would like to "supercharge the tube" mounting another power supply and a better colling device.
So if you think it's not possible with the same tube i wonder why it's wrote on the box "75 WATTS MAX" (please see the picture).
Another question is what i could obtain at the maximum capacities of this tube ?

Dan Hintz
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The "box" is most likely the power supply you're talking about... this tells you the PS can handle up to a 75W laser cartridge. The nominal power output of a cartridge is (for the most part) due to the length of the lasing chamber... since you can't change this, you're locked into a small range of powers.

Richard Rumancik
07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
The "box" is most likely the power supply you're talking about... this tells you the PS can handle up to a 75W laser cartridge. The nominal power output of a cartridge is (for the most part) due to the length of the lasing chamber... since you can't change this, you're locked into a small range of powers.

I think the label he is referring to is on the Synrad tube, not the power supply.

I believe that the reason Synrad puts those labels on the tube is to meet regulatory requirements. Since the output of a laser tube is variable even when new (they don't know if a 25 watt tube will output 25 watt or 35 watt when they make it). They need to identify the laser tube as to what the maximum can be, so that the tube can be catagorized for regulatory reasons. From what I have seen they put a number on it which is usually much more than the tube can possibly output.

Internally, the Synrad 50 watt tube (48 series) is actually two 25 watt lasers in parallel.

The Synrad 25 watt calls for a 14 amp supply and the 50 watt calls for a 28 amp supply (at 30 V). Patrice has an 18 amp supply so he can probably run a 35 watt tube (maybe 40 watt?) but that would be approaching the upper limits of the supply.

Dan Hintz
07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I think the label he is referring to is on the Synrad tube, not the power supply.

I believe that the reason Synrad puts those labels on the tube is to meet regulatory requirements. Since the output of a laser tube is variable even when new (they don't know if a 25 watt tube will output 25 watt or 35 watt when they make it). From what I have seen they put a number on it which is usually much more than the tube can possibly output.
Sounds reasonable.

Either way, Patrice, you're stuck with the tube being the wattage it is...

Rodne Gold
07-08-2010, 3:35 AM
Instead of messing with the tube and voiding any warrantees as well as making it impossible to send in as core if you have to replace the tube (costing you a lot more) , why not get a cheap chinese large format 80w or so , would be ideal for a cutting laser and at little more than a tube replacement , would give you another machine , you could almost double any production then.