PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Wood

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2010, 9:26 PM
Well here is a NE bowl from some Kentucky Coffee wood that I was given by John Keeton. Extremely nice turning wood. 8 1/2" X 3 3/4" high. Has two coats of Antique Oil on it. While turning I had a piece of bark about 2" long fly off but it stayed in tack so glued it back on. My sister thinks she has claims on it. She loved it. Hope I did it justice John.

Roger Chandler
07-05-2010, 9:34 PM
Bernie,

A really nice NE bowl. That coffee wood has nice grain. You turned a nice form, and keeping the bark intact, especially with the thickness of it is a trick I don't know if I could have pulled off. My natural edge bowls have so far lost some bark, but that may be to the time of year the wood was harvested [late spring and summer]

Michael Short
07-05-2010, 9:47 PM
Thanks for posting Bernie. I have a chunk of Kentucky Coffee Wood that I need to turn. I like the grain patterns.

Baxter Smith
07-05-2010, 9:48 PM
Pretty bowl Bernie. That bark looks like it would be a real challenge!

John Keeton
07-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Bernie, that is exactly the form that was inside that chunk of coffee tree!! You did great with it.

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Nice bowl Bernie - really nice! Really cool looking wood grain!

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks all for the comments. John this one I said to myself don't do the last cut. I kept thinking I could do better but knew better. I am really pleased how it turned out. Oh and I told my sister that goes into my collection because it was from a good friend.

Michelle Rich
07-06-2010, 6:34 AM
I can see why your sis would want it..I have never seen coffee wood, so thanks for sharing

Tom Sherman
07-06-2010, 6:39 AM
Good Job Bernie, Looks like a winner.

John Hart
07-06-2010, 6:40 AM
Very nice Bernie. Glad you found your flung off piece. Ya done good. :)

dean griffith
07-06-2010, 7:22 AM
Great looking bowl Bernie. the grain, form all looks very nice. It's grerat to complete a turning and have people make claim to it isn't it. Great Job

Tony De Masi
07-06-2010, 7:26 AM
Nice job Bernie on some really cool looking wood. Are you going to buff this one or just leave it as is?

Tony

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-06-2010, 7:48 AM
What greater compliment can be had than when your family wants your work. I've not yet attempted a wet bowl let alone natural bark edge. Even though, I can't tell you how much I've learned by reading the trials and tribulations you all have had with things like "one more final cut" or an edge than blew up because you tried to touch it up too late in the turning. All these threads are like lessons. Thanks and "nice bowl".
fmr

Roger Chandler
07-06-2010, 8:26 AM
What greater compliment can be had than when your family wants your work. I've not yet attempted a wet bowl let alone natural bark edge. Even though, I can't tell you how much I've learned by reading the trials and tribulations you all have had with things like "one more final cut" or an edge than blew up because you tried to touch it up too late in the turning. All these threads are like lessons. Thanks and "nice bowl".
fmr

Faust,

"All these threads are like lessons" - Just another benefit of attending the

SawMill Creek - Online Wood Turning Learning Institute! [SMC-OWTLI] :D

steven carter
07-06-2010, 8:28 AM
Very nice natural edge bowl Bernie. You got the semetry just right!

Steve

bob svoboda
07-06-2010, 9:45 AM
Nicely done Bernie.

Harvey Ghesser
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Beautiful work, Bernie! JK gave you a great piece of wood!

Tim Rinehart
07-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I've never turned coffee wood, but now look forward to it. I do like the natural edge, you did an excellent job all around on this piece.

Very nice!!

Rob Cunningham
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Good looking bowl Bernie. Nice job keeping the bark on.

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 4:04 PM
Nicely done. How is the coffee tree to turn? I've tried to turn a little bit of that stuff that was dry, and I'd have to say I didn't care for it(or it didn't care for my turning techniques).

James Roberts
07-06-2010, 5:15 PM
Very nice work, Bernie. You got it just right.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-06-2010, 5:44 PM
Thanks all for the comments. John this one I said to myself don't do the last cut. I kept thinking I could do better but knew better. I am really pleased how it turned out. Oh and I told my sister that goes into my collection because it was from a good friend.

That's a nice looking wood Bernie, I never turned any Kentucky Coffeetree, they are next to non existent around here anymore, even though I did plant a few around my place (4) and know of one bigger one, so I'll have to wait to my next life to turn those at the rate they grow up here ;)
The bark looks kind of brittle in the picture, but adds quite a bit to the overall look, I'd say yes that's a keeper :cool: :D

Keith Burns
07-06-2010, 9:11 PM
Nice Bark Edge bowl there Bernie. I like the wood as well.