PDA

View Full Version : Adding a canister to a 1hp Steel City DC

Neil Shepard
07-05-2010, 8:48 PM
I was given a 1hp Steel City DC and it has been fantastic!!! So much reduction of the mess in my tiny shop. But, I want to take the collections and put them in our compost pile. Since I am not using the bag for throwing away the wood chips, I would like to put a canister or trash can or something in it's place. This would make life so much easier than trying to put the collection bag back in place by myself. Has anybody done something similar that they could point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Neil

Dave Gaul
07-06-2010, 8:57 AM
Look into a Thien style seperator... very easy to make and very affordable... Google "Phil Thien" or "Thien seperator" and you'll find a dedicated forum for it... there are some posts here on smc as well related to it...

Stew Hagerty
07-07-2010, 4:54 PM
I just bought one of these:

https://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=8981&ss=d886affa-ef13-4587-8dd6-06f0f9cde4d7

I haven't hooked it up yet but the guys at the store said they naturally aren't as good as a true cyclone but that they work pretty good for the price ($21.74).

David Hostetler
07-07-2010, 6:20 PM
I am a Thien Cyclone user, Google "Thien Cyclone and follow the link to the discussion forum, then Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion, and there is a thread called "Here's the plans." which should be self explanatory...

It is quick, easy, and oh so beneficial.

Not familair with your particular DC, but if it is set up like a Delta 50-720 look for a thread called "Initial design for a Delta 50-720 + Thien separator" by chopnhack. His build is GREAT for small spaces... One of my plans is to build a similar stand for my HF 2HP DC, and top / bottom mount my rig like that. Safe space, improve airflow, what's not to like?