PDA

View Full Version : First time at the lathe in a while

Dahl Troy Perry
07-05-2010, 7:17 PM
Well wife is sick:mad: soooooo I went to the shop:D.Have not been turning for a while so thought I would try a NE bowl out of cherry finish the out side taking out the inside and boom grabed and split down one side. Glued and clamped hope to save it. Then went to the walnut blank and turned this bowl 8" by 3" .25 thick buffed and waxed. Then worked on a plater all turned green 11/5/2009 so was good and dry.The plater is splated maple 15" dia 1" tall 5/16 thick buffed and waxed had no way hold to turn the tenden off both sides so made pocket to hold bowl to put dip in.:rolleyes:Now need to turn bowl with lid have not tryed that yet. Felt good to get back to the shop need to find more time!

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2010, 7:30 PM
Great looking pieces Dahl. Good to see ya back in the shop.

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2010, 7:54 PM
Dahl - hope your wife gets to feeling better real soon!

Nice work on everything! Really like the walnut bowl. Very nice form - real pretty wood and finish!

Nice platter! Really like the spalted maple! You can check into using a donut chuck or a vacuum chuck to hold your platter. Makes it a lot easier to finish off the bottom!

David E Keller
07-05-2010, 8:20 PM
Nice work on those pieces. Glad you got some shop time.

Tom Sherman
07-05-2010, 8:24 PM
Nice work Dahl, looks like the break didn't mess with your skills.

Allen Neighbors
07-06-2010, 2:34 PM
Way to go, Dahl! Nice stuff! At first glance, I thought the green bowl was one that you'd turned and dyed, and just had a heck of a finish on! :D
Hope your Sweetie gets better quick!!