PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw for $300?

John Adam
07-05-2010, 6:11 PM
I don't think we're supposed to post links, so here's the post from CL:

Delta 10 inch tilting arbor table saw and table extension 3 phase, 5 HP motor 230/460 volt, with heavy duty roller base, Model 34-806, with original owners manual. The saw is in excellent condition. I gave up my shop and having to sell my 3 phase equipment.

One of the pictures shows the owner's manual which identifies this as a unisaw. The pictures are a bit out of focus, but i can't see rust or any obvious issues.

This seems like a steal - is there anything wrong with that particular model?

Thanks,

John

John McClanahan
07-05-2010, 6:56 PM
Just remember it needs 3 phase, or a converter, or a 1 phase motor.

John

Tony Bilello
07-05-2010, 6:59 PM
Just replace the motor with a single phase motor and you still have a great deal. Then turn around and sell the 3 phase for whatever you can get for it. Dont be greedy, just be quick at selling the motor.

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-05-2010, 7:03 PM
Of buy a VFD and you can run the motor from single phase 220V.

John Adam
07-05-2010, 7:37 PM
I have an old Delta contractor saw that I was happy with when I was building the deck, but haven't been satisfied with since I've been doing ww.

I can't seem to get it aligned, have trouble with the fence, dust collection is bad....

Would you pull the trigger? How much for a phase converter?

Will Rowland
07-05-2010, 8:26 PM
5 hp on a single phase input VFD is really pushing it...I think there are only a couple on the market that will do that, and they would likely be at least $400.
I agree that your best bet would be to find a used single phase motor. There are quite a few equipment dealers around who should have them.

Keep in mind also that 3 hp is really plenty horsepower for most home shops, and I suspect there are a lot more 3 hp single phase unisaw motors around than 5 hp single phase.

Aaron Wingert
07-05-2010, 10:26 PM
$300 for a unisaw is CHEAP. Even for one in crumby shape. The three phase would turn me off though. Even a 3hp single phase replacement motor will easily run you well over $400. But if the bones of the saw are good you still might have a deal on your hands if you do spring for a replacement motor. 5hp is much more than you'll need 99-1/2% of the time. A 3hp saw will handle just about anything you can possibly throw at it.

I'd go take a look at it at least.

Chip Lindley
07-06-2010, 1:10 PM
I am sure it's Wayy Gone by now! To paraphrase the Greek, Cato: "He who hesitates (@ cheap Unisaws) is lost!"

I hope you are the one who snagged it!

Dave Cav
07-06-2010, 6:21 PM
You can run a 5hp 3 phase motor on a 3hp VFD, because I'm doing it....but you really need to do your homework before you do. A 3hp VFD will run you about $180. A 5hp VFD (single phase 220 input) will run you between $450-600, depending.

As far as I am concerned, 5hp is way too big for a Unisaw, anyway. They were originally designed to run on 3/4 - 1 HP RI motors. I have an original 1hp RI motor on my '46 Unisaw and it has plenty of power for what it was designed for. If you are actually USING all of the 5HP on a regular basis you will wear the rest of Unisaw out pretty quick.

BTW, good luck selling a 5 HP 3 phase Unisaw motor, at least for any decent amount of money.

John Downey
07-07-2010, 7:33 PM
As far as I am concerned, 5hp is way too big for a Unisaw, anyway. They were originally designed to run on 3/4 - 1 HP RI motors. I have an original 1hp RI motor on my '46 Unisaw and it has plenty of power for what it was designed for. If you are actually USING all of the 5HP on a regular basis you will wear the rest of Unisaw out pretty quick.

BTW, good luck selling a 5 HP 3 phase Unisaw motor, at least for any decent amount of money.

Beware of direct comparisons to old repulsion induction motors and the capacitor start induction motors ubiquitously used today. I have a unisaw similar to yours and have never stalled it :D but that just means it has buckets of torque. I've often seen 3hp unisaws stalled by heavy cuts. I suspect its a case of the R-I motors being better able to recover from applied loads due to the way they start. Being built like a tank can't hurt either, given the size and weight they must be able to take a lot of abuse :D

3 phase motors usually sell for about $10 per hp at the surplus yards I'm familiar with. One would have to price it less than this to get a CL sale I'd think, or make a phase converter out of it.

brian c miller
07-08-2010, 7:05 PM
I have nearly the identical saw, mine is a 34-807. It was about $300 as well and it was a no brainer for me.

This is not the most elegant solution but it works well for me... I use a simple Static Phase convertor.

It's simply bank Capacitors and a Start up relay. The stored energy in the caps act as the 3 power leg during startup and then the motor runs on 2 legs. Check Phenoix, or Phase-a-matic for commercial solutions.

http://www.phoenixphaseconverters.com/product.php?id_product=19

The only draw back is that you'll only have 2/3 hp and the phases won't be very balanced.