PDA

View Full Version : New (old) Jointer/Planer (gloat?)

John A. Schaefer
07-05-2010, 5:36 PM
Well, I don't know if this would qualify as a gloat for most of y'all, but for me it's a bargain. This is a hobby for me, so I don't currently need any really big machines. Maybe some day...(And thanks to the fellow Creekers for their advice on this in Deals forum.)

I picked up a brand new (still in the crate) Makita 2030N combo jointer/planer for $300!:D The guy I bought it from said that his grandfather had purchased it new in the late 80s planning to get into woodworking when he retired. Well, one thing lead to another, he never setup his shop, and never un-crated this bad boy.

The way I picked it up:
155144 155145

After some effort, I got the thing out of the crate and onto a mobile base (no small feat, since I had to do most of it alone - and the Makita weighs at least 300 lbs). I needed to raise it up about 14" in order to get the jointer bed to a comfortable working height.

Most of yesterday was spent making it clean and pretty :). The protective shipping grease was still on the ends of the jointer bed, as well as the whole planer bed, and even on the cutters. But there was rust on the middle of the jointer and on the guard where a mouse had made itself a little nest. So after lots of elbow grease, rust removed, WD40, and 4 coats of paste wax, it's almost ready for service. The jointer bed is a little pitted, but not so bad that it will impact anything that I'll be doing for the near future. I'll probably repaint the guard at some point, just so the rust spots don't steal my sanity.

155146 155147

I have run a couple boards through the jointer just to give it a test, and it beats the heck out of the little benchtop unit I've been using.

Next up: get the planer rollers ready for shipment to North Carolina for a new coating - around $90 for each roller.

So for less than $500 I got a 6" jointer with a 59" bed (upgrade to what I have), and a 12" wide planer that can handle up to 7 1/2" thick stock (something I didn't have before).

Harlan Theaker
07-05-2010, 6:50 PM
WOW! Great deal! I'd gladly pay that price for the same machine used. Congrats on your find!!

Jim Rimmer
07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Can't believe you haven't gotten a YOU SUCK yet.

David Nelson1
07-06-2010, 5:08 AM
Wow, what a great deal. The thing I really like is the fact that you have no goofing around to do to switch between operations.

Van Huskey
07-06-2010, 6:40 AM
Great deal. YOU SUCK!

Don Buck
07-06-2010, 11:01 PM
I've been using a Makita 2030 for over 20 years and still find it one of the best combo units for a small shop. I've had to replace the motor 5 years ago and the infeed bearings 10 years ago. Only had to recover the rollers once so far. Parts are getting scarcer and more expensive but your unit should be good for years without needing any parts. Got mine at a woodworking show in 1989 at a clearance bargain price of $995. You did well.

Lee Bidwell
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Congrats! That's a nice score, and a really rare find to come across a machine that old still in the crate. I did some research here on the Creek after I got my 2030N and pulled out several sources for the roller re-covering. The cheapest I found was from a company in Oregon called Western Roller. I called and talked to them, and they seemed very nice and knowledgable about the machine. It sounded like they do a good bit of re-coating of old rollers from Makita planers. I think they quoted me $75 / roller, and the material is supposed to be a high quality polyurethane, as opposed to the original rubber, which should not have to be recoated as often, if ever. I still haven't gotten around to restoring mine yet, so I can't speak directly to their service, but I thought I would pass along the info.

Lee

David Hostetler
07-07-2010, 1:28 PM
The newer combination machines seem to be all the rage, but that one for sure is a nice one. Good long bed to the jointer too! Not even sure if Makita still makes anything like it...

John A. Schaefer
07-07-2010, 3:35 PM
Lee-
I haven't removed the rollers from the machine yet, but there's really no coating left on them - it has all deteriorated as fallen onto on the planer table.

Thanks for the reference - I'm still waiting to get a quote back from Western Roller. I had found WoodTech Tooling in NC that will resurface them for $90 each, but if it's still $75 per sending them to OR, it's worth the $30 savings for the pair.