PDA

View Full Version : My last turnings - for awhile!

John Keeton
07-05-2010, 4:49 PM
I have been procrastinating building a set of built in bookshelves for Ms. Keeton. Everytime I walk over to the tablesaw, I have a brief lapse of consciousness, and when I come to, I am in front of the lathe.:eek::(

To make matters worse, I have the Monster hollowing rig on order, and I know when that comes in I will be consumed.

I have committed to both Ms. Keeton and myself, that I will not touch my lathe again until the bookshelves are finished!!

The flatwork project should take a couple of weeks, so these are the last ones - for awhile!

This one is spalted pecan - little over 9" wide x 3" tall, with a small foot just for David Keller!!:D Lacquer and triple buffed with Ren wax.

John Keeton
07-05-2010, 4:55 PM
And, the last one. Nothing original here - this my version of a piece in Raffan's book. I really wasn't inspired on this one - just didn't want to start the bookshelves!:o

Walnut plywood, edges blackened, curly maple bowl. The sides of the triangle are 16", and it stands about 3" high. Accents are ebony, with the exception of the bun feet, which are dyed maple.

Interesting piece, but I won't be doing another one!

Dale Miner
07-05-2010, 4:57 PM
Hi John,

"I have committed to both Ms. Keeton and myself, that I will not touch my lathe again until the bookshelves are finished!!"

That's a good one! Got a good laugh from it. Hope you do well at your commitment, LOL.

Later,
Dale M

David E Keller
07-05-2010, 5:02 PM
I really like the pecan bowl... foot and all. It's pretty wood, and the form is great. Nice little slanted rim detail.

The second piece is nicely executed, but I can't say that I really care for it. Everything about it is well done, but the form is just not my cup of tea.

Good luck on the shelves... They'll be a great place to display your beautiful turnings.

John Beaver
07-05-2010, 5:05 PM
Funny how I can always justify a new turned project to put off starting the cabinet my wife wants. --- "but there's a show coming up and I need a few more pieces..."

John, I think your wife wanted a bookcase with turned columns didn't she?

Peter Hay in Aus
07-05-2010, 5:07 PM
John,

Tis but a brief respite for your wife that comes with years of wisdom.

Really appreciate your Turnings, the care, finish you give them.

Interesting Richard is a hugely active member of my Woodturning Guild he gives freely of everything, has been for many years now we regard ourselves as fortunate. On a personal note he says he will die never having turned a pen, as pens are my bag we both smile at that.

Regards Peter.

Alan Trout
07-05-2010, 5:20 PM
I know how you feel. I have been restoring an old craftsman style bungalow all summer with several more month's to go. Unfortunately turning has been down the list a ways. But I am going to start a few ideas I have for the instant gallery at SWAT in August.

Good luck and good speed on your bookshelves. When your Monster rig shows up that calling will be to strong.

Alan

John Hart
07-05-2010, 5:23 PM
...I have committed to both Ms. Keeton and myself, that I will not touch my lathe again until the bookshelves are finished!!

I said the same thing about the library. And I almost made it...... Almost.:)

Nice pieces John. Can't say I'd find a place in my house for the Raffan piece....But it is pretty cool.:)

Keith Burns
07-05-2010, 5:24 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah John, I've heard that story before (and said it before too). I promosed a bed, oh 3 or 4 years ago, ain't done yet. Oh, well, it will wait.

Excellent bowl, and the other piece is extremely well done. Great practice for future work.

Now go build some bookcases (believe it when I see it)

Tom Sherman
07-05-2010, 5:29 PM
Very nice John, love the bowl wood is gorgeous, The other piece shows excellent control, nice attention to detail and great color combination. Bummer that you have to take a sabbatical however think of how much you will enjoy the opportunity to turn again when the bookcase is finished.

Pete Jordan
07-05-2010, 5:46 PM
Nice work, John!

Where are you going to buy the shelves you told your wife you are going to build:)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-05-2010, 5:59 PM
I gave away my table saw to my son, he needs it more than I do, and so the projects are gone with it

Love the bowl John and no the other piece is to much flat work like, don't care for it, even if done in your meticulous way :-))

Just don't take to long with those shelves, better idea get rid of the books ;-)))

Roger Chandler
07-05-2010, 6:00 PM
John,

I have the same thing going on at my house! Mrs. C. has been waiting on me to build her a large bookcase for her medical books, many of which are quite large, and a custom bookshelf is the answer. We were talking materials and size this afternoon.

She has been waiting for over a year, and I had to finish a custom bathroom remodel first, and then you know how it goes, ...... I needed to turn something for the wood turners meeting this month, and last month, etc, etc, .....

I do have one up on you though, even though I have "promised" I did not put a time line on it, but she is getting a little impatient with being down on the order, so I guess I am going to have to get to the gettin'...like they say around here.

I certainly want to get it done before archery season sets in, because then you know how it is, I've only got so many days I can hunt, and then Blackpowder season begins, and then rifle season, and then late archery, and then late Blackpowder, and then..............;):D:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2010, 6:43 PM
John - I feel your pain! Promised Colleen that I would build her some kitchen wall cabinets ..... but it has been ...... 3 or 4 years since she asked. I do plan on building them but always seem there are other priorities!

Good looking bowl! Nice form!

Very interesting contemporary art piece! Really like the woods used and your eye for details! Looks like a great piece for your new gallery!

Rich Aldrich
07-05-2010, 9:05 PM
John,

Nice pecan bowl. Too bad shelves and cabinets cant be turned on the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2010, 9:14 PM
John we have all been there and have all failed. I have a grandfather clock my wife wanted built. That was 5 yrs ago and it is almost 3/4's done.

Ya know John a few cinder blocks and a few 2 x 12's and the cabinets are done.:eek::cool::rolleyes:;)

James Combs
07-05-2010, 9:31 PM
Love the pecan bowl and the "artsy" piece has great detail. Out of curiosity where did you find walnut plywood?

Bob Bergstrom
07-05-2010, 9:38 PM
Boy I just read this thread to my wife. Big mistake. Just kept reminding me about the half built computer desk sitting on the side of the recroom. (Quote: It been there for three years.) :mad:
Oh well think I'll turn another bowl tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Baxter Smith
07-05-2010, 9:46 PM
Good luck with the shelves, and being able to concentrate on what you are doing!

John Keeton
07-05-2010, 9:57 PM
Thanks guys, for the nice comments on the bowl - and the cautiously phrased comments on the "artsy" piece!!:D:D:D It's OK, I don't like it either!!;)

I keep Raffan's book by my easy chair. Ms. Keeton and I were discussing the bookshelves, and I was flipping thru the pages (listening intently, of course, the whole time) and saw this piece. The one in the book (p. 157, The Art of Turned Bowls) is actually an Andrew Potocnik piece. I had a piece of curly maple just the right size, and a piece of walnut plywood.

It was the perfect time to explain that I needed to finish one more piece before starting the shelf units. Neglected to tell her I had not yet started the piece I needed to finish.:cool:

I thought it would be interesting, but the more I did, the less I liked it. But, since I "needed to finish" another piece - I needed to carry this one on through!

Good luck on the shelves... They'll be a great place to display your beautiful turnings.David, the bookshelves are in Ms. Keeton's hobby room #2 - off limits for my stuff!

Roger, you left out turkey season!!!

JD, this piece of plywood came from Hardwood Specialties in Lexington - it is walnut on both sides.

And, Pete, I would be all for buying the shelf units, but I already own the 3/4" plywood and poplar for the face frames (painted units.):(

gary Zimmel
07-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Another couple of great turnings John.

You may still be able to use that lathe while building that bookshelf for Eileen.
How about incorporating some turned columns into it....:D

Don Alexander
07-06-2010, 1:59 AM
i always am looking forward to your posting new turnings, John.
love the variety of forms and the beautiful pieces of wood you use

my take on the artsy piece is that its too 1 dimensional (read flat) :D

to my rookie eye it would likely work better with more depth in the middle platter/shallow bowl part

excellent quality work as always

get those bookshelves done quick so we can see more of your turnings real soon :D:D

William Hutchinson
07-06-2010, 7:52 AM
And, the last one. Nothing original here - this my version of a piece in Raffan's book. I really wasn't inspired on this one -

Interesting piece, but I won't be doing another one!

Not inspired? Is it happenstance that your final turning reprieve is in the form of the mystical triangle. Symbolic of universal unity, symmetry and religious underpinning. Three pillars as a foundation holding the circle of never-ending existence. Your platter is more like an offering plate. It seems that you have been unconsciously influenced by the turning deities to build this altar to place sacrifices, until you return. :eek:

That’s what you get for lusting for Cathy’s 1642 before she has even used it.:D

Harvey Ghesser
07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Love the bowl, John! The other piece is my second favorite!;)

Cathy Schaewe
07-06-2010, 1:22 PM
That’s what you get for lusting for Cathy’s 1642 before she has even used it.:D

Ha!! :D :D

John Keeton
07-06-2010, 2:10 PM
That’s what you get for lusting for Cathy’s 1642 before she has even used it.:DHutch, I was hoping this wasn't so obvious!:o But, alas, my true emotions have been betrayed!!

Matt Hutchinson
07-06-2010, 4:17 PM
Hey John,

Nice work! I especially like the pecan bowl. Beautiful piece of wood, and well executed. :)

You know, there a so many interesting turnings out there, you're bound to try one that just doesn't seem impact you in the way you'd hoped. Well, maybe the triangle piece was a good one to finish before the shelves, cuz you'll be thinking about it the whole time. Good motivation to get the shelves done so you can get back at the lathe. :D

In any case, both pieces are well done.

Hutch

Karl Card
07-06-2010, 6:44 PM
I have never seen a piece of pecan I did not like.

Nice bowl. the other piece is nice and looks good, it just has this mystique about it. Lets leave it at that.. I could see that piece in a wealthy persons house that preferred modern interior deco. If that makes sense.

Allen Neighbors
07-06-2010, 7:20 PM
John, you finished those shelves yet? :D

Cathy Schaewe
07-06-2010, 8:04 PM
I bet he finishes the shelves this week, and we see a new piece from him this weekend.

John "vortex-meister" Keeton!

Thom Sturgill
07-06-2010, 8:24 PM
Shelves should not take too long. Make two while you are at it so you can display your stuff in one! Very nice bowl. Excellent curve.

John Keeton
07-06-2010, 8:29 PM
Update! There are 5 "boxes" that go together for this built-in. The 3 center ones are the largest. Got all the plywood cut for those 3 tonite, rabbeted for backs, and have the Domino out and ready to go to work tomorrow evening!

My ever present thought is that new Monster hollowing rig!;) I need to be clear of this project before that thing comes in!

David E Keller
07-06-2010, 8:33 PM
Sounds like real progress! I'm hoping you'll post an update when your hollowing rig arrives as I ordered mine shortly after you did. I'll wait to start getting excited until I know you've received yours. I'm not sure when you put your order in, but I think I sent payment on June 10th for mine.

John Hart
07-06-2010, 9:16 PM
... I need to be clear of this project before that thing comes in!

This is so funny! Ya know....some people LIKE woodworking!:D

All I can think about is how much you sound like me when I was building bookcases. Sheesh...I used to LIKE to build bookcases and breadboards and nicknack shelves. I wonder what happened to that guy?:confused:

Allen Neighbors
07-06-2010, 9:24 PM
I bet he finishes the shelves this week, and we see a new piece from him this weekend.

John "vortex-meister" Keeton!

I'm bettin' you're right!:)

Tom Sherman
07-06-2010, 9:30 PM
John Bernie's suggestion about cinderblocks and 2x12's is beginning to sound better all the time.

Roger Chandler
07-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Update! There are 5 "boxes" that go together for this built-in. The 3 center ones are the largest. Got all the plywood cut for those 3 tonite, rabbeted for backs, and have the Domino out and ready to go to work tomorrow evening!

My ever present thought is that new Monster hollowing rig!;) I need to be clear of this project before that thing comes in!

John,

You may have to end up keeping your promise to Mrs. K. [I certainly encourage you to do that] but I was wondering if she extracted a commitment to not browse or post on SMC? Afterall, posting can be done in between glue-ups! It would be a tragedy indeed not to have your wit to enjoy....;)