PDA

View Full Version : A different workbench

Erik Christensen
07-05-2010, 11:18 AM
I was all ready to build a classic workbench like some of the really nice ones posted recently; but then I decided to head in a different direction. I have several nice books (most recommended here) on workbenches and was going to build a 34” x 8’ maple top, round dog bench with twin screw tail vise and quick release face vise. I had the hardware in my cart and was almost ready to click the purchase button, when I ended up in another forum where several well written posts advocated a different design more suited to power tool users like me.

So I made this about a month ago. It has had some use, but not much, as a room remodel has been using up most my shop time. It has some significant trade-offs vs a traditional bench but so far I kinda like it. The bench is still far from complete – I have to figure out how I am going to setup the storage on each side – some shelves, two drawers with no face that can be pulled out from either side, etc; plus I have to make jig that functions like a board jack in the 2 front tracks.

It must weigh 500# yet rolls easily (though a 2 person job to steer) on the 4 woodcraft lockable casters which when locked makes this thing act like it bolted to the floor. While time will tell if I keep this or dump it on CL and build a nice classic bench (don’t really have room for both) one thing I do like – unlike the gorgeous benches I see here this one took only 2 weekends to build.

Philip Johnson
07-05-2010, 7:36 PM
I like it....there have been some really good looking benches posted on here lately but I think yours maybe be more useful. I like the idea of lots of tool storage and a bench made for power tools. I gotta sleep on this idea and think about it for a bit. Tell us more about where the plans came from and the top, where did you get the edge for the festool track to clamp on.

Phil

John Mark Lane
07-05-2010, 8:30 PM
Interesting. What's the top made of? What are those tracks on the sides and what do you use them for? What made you decide to use those half-posts (for lack of a better word) on the corners? Very interesting bench, and as I'm about to start my own in a couple of weeks (soon as I get the flooring down), I'd sure like to hear more about it....

Mark

Philip Johnson
07-05-2010, 8:42 PM
John it appears to me the tracks on the edges are for the festool tracks to attach too as I see a festool track saw hiding there. Since I just purchased the track saw I too would like to know more about where he got the track attach edging.

Phil

Dave MacArthur
07-06-2010, 1:18 AM
Interesting. Looks kind of like an EZ "PowerBench"? I like the idea of a power tool based bench, and like those above am interested in hearing some more of your thoughts on this and why you decided on this style?

Mark Woodmark
07-06-2010, 1:36 AM
Looks very interesting. I see potential for many add ons due to its size. Just how large is the top?

Van Huskey
07-06-2010, 6:46 AM
Thats very cool. I am planning a work bench with a router table, downdraft table and Kreg clamp table all in one, neat to see someone else go a different direction. I would also like to know more about the constuction, mainly the top.

Tony Bilello
07-06-2010, 7:49 AM
Traditional and classic workbenches are great for traditional and classic woodworkers. Power tool woodworkers need workbench's more suited to power tool needs. Two different animals.
I think you made a wise decision and it looks great also.

Erik Christensen
07-06-2010, 8:11 AM
The MDF top is just 3 of the festool MFT tops with the center one shaved down to fit. When time come to replace it, I am going to make it out of a single MDF piece and just use my shelf pin jig from festool to make the holes with a router.

I had a MFT 1080 table and the long front 1080 rails became the side rails of the workbench and then I got a REALLY long rail set from festool - 2 meter rails - (item
number 488-555). I'd like to say this was all my idea but I got the basic top concept from a PDF on the festool site. You can find in FAQ section for the MFT (I'd put the whole URL here but not sure if that is allowed).

getting_the_most_from_the_mft_multifunction_table. pdf

I choose a different base and top support mechanism - mine has the 4 corners firmly supported on 4x4 posts and the rails sit on a very precise lip cut into the 2 plywood beams that provide support in the middle section. I screwed up the design on locating these support beams - they 'should' have been located at the junction of the two adjoining top pieces but I did not think of that in my layout. The top pieces are edge joined with domino's that are unglued - plenty of support - I had to run some overhead cables after the bench was done and walking on the top i could not see a bit of flex m(I am 200#).

The guide rail that comes with the MFT 1080 is too short to go length wise but I had a second 1400mm rail when I bought the shelf pin setup so I just swapped out the attachment hardware and the 1400 rail works just fine - again not my idea - got that from the pdf too.

What encouraged me to give this a whirl is I had a lot of the stuff already - an MFT 1080 that I did not use as much as I could due to it's small size (I understand it was designed to be job site portable but I never used it that way) and I had an 2nd 1400mm rail laying around. What I really like about the bench is it is MDF & plywood, not a gorgeous piece of hardwood furniture like some here make, so I have no qualms at all about hammering the crap out of it if that is what the job requires.

Greg Plowman
07-06-2010, 8:25 AM
Very neat, I'll be rebuilding my secondary workbench that my Dovetail jig and FMT pro sit on pretty soon and am interested in hearing more about this bench.

Paul Raymond
07-06-2010, 8:31 AM
nice- definitely a modern answer to an old question. i like it.

paul