PDA

View Full Version : Holly HF

Keith Burns
07-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I just have to give up on this piece, been working on it for a week. Three different finials. Bleached 6 times. No finish, just buffed with white diamond. I've worked on it enough that I've lost my perspective on it. 3-1/2" dia. x 7-1/2" to the top of the finial. Comments/critiques welcome.

John Hart
07-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah...I would just trash it if I were you. I don't know how you can stand having it in the house.

'Cuse me....I'm going to go throw all my tools away.:)

Tom Sherman
07-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Keith, I think this is wonderful. My wife and I have been talking about it, and love it like it is. Great job.

charlie knighton
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
very nice, i like the small bottom in the finial

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2010, 11:19 AM
That is a really nice piece Keith. Love the form and finial looks great.

Scott Hackler
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I think your way too hard on yourself. I like it and think it has a very nice flow to the shape.

David E Keller
07-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I like it, but I'm curious to know what you don't like about it. I've yet to see a piece of yours that I didn't like, but I'm interested in what your original vision was for this and how it now differs.

Norm Zax
07-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Curves are pleasing, colors remind me of vanilla icecream. No complaint whatsoever. Well done.

John Keeton
07-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Keith, I think it is a great combo with the colors, and the form is beautiful.

What were the issues with this one? And, were the other finials of a different form or wood? What species is this finial?

It is great, as is, and I don't know that I would do anything more with it. Are you happy with the buffed finish? Looks good from here.

Keith Burns
07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Like I said I tried 3 different finial styles and choose this one. The wood is all holly including the finial. I have done all ebony pieces before and wanted to do the opposite. I think I was looking for "pure" with this piece but don't know that I achieved it.

John Keeton
07-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Keith, I am not sure what you mean by "pure", but the piece is certainly harmonious. I take it you bleached the form, but not the finial and finial base? The color difference, to me, is just the right amount of tint/shade within the same hue. It works, and works very well.

But, I guess the most important measure is whether you are happy with it - you should be!

Michael Short
07-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Great looking HF Keith !!!

Tom Sherman
07-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Keith, I am not sure what you mean by "pure", but the piece is certainly harmonious. I take it you bleached the form, but not the finial and finial base? The color difference, to me, is just the right amount of tint/shade within the same hue. It works, and works very well.

But, I guess the most important measure is whether you are happy with it - you should be!

I agree with John K on this. Personally I very much like the subtle difference in the finial and the hollow form. It almost appears the light is different on the finial causing the 'difference'. Again I have to say Very well done.

Richard Madison
07-05-2010, 1:50 PM
Keith, I think it looks great from here but wonder if the finial is just a bit too tall? Seems to slightly distract the eye from your beautiful hf. Today's goofy suggestion would be to try one in same style in clear/frosted acrylic like the one Steve did a while back. White on white instead of white on black.

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2010, 1:53 PM
What Hart said...

Keith Burns
07-05-2010, 1:58 PM
What Hart said...

Did Hart say something, I must have missed it.;)

Allen Neighbors
07-05-2010, 2:04 PM
If I couldn't do any better than that, I'd just quit.
So I quit. John, I think I'll just sell out and move.
Keith, I've never seen a form that you made that wasn't perfect. I think you've found "pure".

Wally Dickerman
07-05-2010, 2:18 PM
Keith, looks good to me...what's the problem? I know, lots of us are our own worst critics. I certainly am.

Clean, classic lines. Very simple. Good proportions.....Works for me.

Question...I see that the finial base fits flush with the body of the vessel. Is this a lidded vessel?

Wally

Roger Chandler
07-05-2010, 3:58 PM
Keith,

I hope my next hollow form is as bad as this one, cause I'll be ecstatic!!! ;)

John Hart
07-05-2010, 5:32 PM
Did Hart say something, I must have missed it.;)

I didn't say nuthin'. I was just sittin' here with a can of lacquer and a hot dog...just thinking about stuff. David's a troublemaker.

Tamara Brown
07-05-2010, 5:37 PM
Keith,

It takes a true artist to be bothered by this particular piece. For example, I swiped your image, and playing around I applied the "golden Mean" to this HF. You are only 3/16 of an inch off in the height of the body versus the finial. Since art history considers the golden mean to be beautiful, I think you still hit the mark.

That aside, this piece is "pure" Love the monochromatic harmony of the wood, with just enough tonal quality to give it interest.

Wish I had your mad skills!!! :D

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2010, 7:02 PM
Keith - beautiful form and I really like the washed out color. Your finial is wonderful as always and contrasts just enough that it adds to the form with out drawing attention away from it.

Very nice work! Always look forward to your next turning!

Neil Strong
07-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Keith - I haven't been a member of this forum long enough to know about your previous work, BUT if this is your usual standard it's time you stopped asking others what they think of your work. When you reach a certain point in your craft only you can know if it's working. That's what happens when you are a master craftsperson!

If you can't make your mind up about a particular piece, put it away for a while and when you get it our again you will see it with fresh eyes which will allow you to make a more confident judgment about the piece.

IMO, that piece works, but my opinion shouldn't count...:D

Baxter Smith
07-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Beautiful work! I am not as "attracted to it" as some of your other turnings but am not sure its because of the form or lack of color. If I had done it, I would be pleased!:)

Don Alexander
07-06-2010, 2:21 AM
musta got into the laquer or sumthin cause tonight seems to be an anti-finial theme with me :D:D:D

i find the "golden mean " thing interesting on the 1 hand i suppose that it is understandable that there would be some sort of measurable "standard" as to what looks good but on the other hand,
something about that concept has always conflicted with my personal idea of how art is acheived
if i have to break out the math formulae it feels like my creativity is somehow squelched ??? not sure if that makes sense and maybe my sense of proportional "correctness" would by pure chance fit into this golden mean (and maybe not ) i really don't know and frankly really don't want to know , takes all the enjoyment out of it for me

just a few personal thoughts definitely not finding any fault with what works for anyone else
i really enjoy seeing all the widely varying pieces of art displayed in this forum and the way in which they are viewed and discussed

as for being your own worst critic ..... isn't that pretty much standard fare for artistic folks? :D

Michelle Rich
07-06-2010, 6:21 AM
I think you are critical where you need not be. It's just fine & has great proprtions, flow and life. What my eye keeps being drawn to is the base of the finial/top joint area..in the picture it almost disappears..like the finial top is not connected..or such a tiny amount of wood it's in danger of breaking off...But that's probably because it is a photo on a monitor. I'd be proud if I had turned it.

Richard Madison
07-06-2010, 9:46 AM
Tamara, thanks for your support. And/but still love the piece too.

Harvey Ghesser
07-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Just beautiful, as is your work always... (but then, nobody asked me).

Tim Rinehart
07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I am with all the supporters of this HF. I think it's very pleasing.

Rob Cunningham
07-06-2010, 1:00 PM
I really like the form and the finial. I'd be very happy if that came off my lathe.

Keith Burns
07-06-2010, 5:47 PM
Thanks again for everyones input, it is much appreciated.

Neil, your opinion DOES count as everyones does.

Don, I know of the Golden Mean Rule but have never broken out a tape measure to see if I was even close to it. I do think it holds true in a lot of turnings but it's not a cast in stone rule.

Tamara, I appreciate your doing this, I found it very interesting.

Wally, yes it is lidded. This is another that was hollowed thru a 1/2" opening.