PDA

View Full Version : Jon Arno has died

Steve Jenkins
12-02-2004, 4:12 PM
This is a copy of his farewell note on the Knots forum.
Good bye to a good man.

Lee,

The hard copy of all of the posts in this thread arrived Saturday and, thank you. I have not been able to get to the computer in some time now, but with the help of my wife Sherryl who, as you know, is a medical transcriptionist, I want to respond with my thanks.

Over the months, I've tried to be be vague about exactly what my health problem is for fear that it would generate a thread like this ...as if I were seeking sympathy.There really isn't any need for sympathy. I've had a good life and, while it is doubtful I am going to live much longer, I certainly don't feel cheated.

Now that the cat is out of the bag with this thread, there is no reason to conceal what my health problem is...So, for anyone who is curious, here are the unfortunate facts:

I really haven't been well for upwards of a decade. It began with ulcerative colitis back in the early 90s. Since then I have received the best of medical care and have played it by the book, BUT regardless of annual colonoscopies and careful monitoring, it proceeded to get worse until, in November 2001, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I immediately had my colon removed and, at the time of surgery, there appeared to be no metastasis to any of the some 156 or so lymph nodes associated with the colon. At that time, it looked like we had it beat and, while I would have to live the rest of my life with a colostomy bag, I would actually be able to function and feel better than I did during the years of colitis. However little over a year ago, I had to have a CAT scan regarding another health issue (prostate). This CAT scan revealed wide-spread tumors of colon cancer in my abdomen.

By this point in time, it was sheets-to-the-wind with respect to any surgical solutions. I was immediately put on chemo, but none of the various FDA-approved colon cancer chemos have worked for me. There is nothing left to try. My doctors have put me in a home hospice program. I am receiving the best possible care in terms of pain killers, but the problem is the amount of these drugs I now have to take to relieve the pain space me out so bad that it is hard to be comfortable and still think clearly. So, the only option is to drop out of the boards and deal with keeping the pain under control.

I have very much enjoyed participating on Knots and I have come to think of you (Liberals and Conservatives alike... :O) ) as personal friends. It is a disappointment to have to hang it up, but that's just the way it has to be.

Godspeed to you all - Jon

Rob Russell
12-02-2004, 6:10 PM
Jon never posted here, but I always his posts when I saw them on the old Badger Pond or WoodCentral boards.

Jon's expertise was wood species. He was a true expert in the various species of wood and readily shared his expertise. He could tell you about the wood, its characteristics, what it was like to machine and problems specific to a given species. Jon's expertise was also hands-on, not just book-learned.

For those of you who never got to read his posts, you've missed someone special.

Rob

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2004, 6:44 PM
Steve,

Thanks for posting. I remember Jon Arno from the Badger Pond days and enjoyed his posts. I will remember his family in my prayers.

Bob Marino
12-02-2004, 7:07 PM
Very sad news and I also remember him from Badger Pond. Sympathies to his family.

Bob

Jerry Olexa
12-02-2004, 8:34 PM
This is a very sad post and event for a highly competent WWer. The letter moves me deeply. Its unfortunate because it is so typical of today's law of averages for those over 30 or 40 or whatever who find themselves in that situation..We stiil are not able to help someone like this in spite of our sophisticated progress in most areas, God bless him. He'll be in my prayers. Thanks for info altho sad.... .

John Edwards
12-02-2004, 9:13 PM
I remeber Jon fondly.
His family owned a hardware store in a Detroit suburb. Several times over the years John would meet me in there upstairs apartment at the store. Truly a wonderful place graced with many of John`s WWing projects.
John and myseld had many things in common. A passion for 18h century reproductions and very similar health issues. A fact that remains to this day.
He was a kind gentle man with a bottomless knowledge of wood species and very passionate for WWing in general.
Godspeed Jon. May you now have the comfort you highly deserve.
For those who do not know ulcerative colitis is a very serious diease. Just the surgrey itself can take a year or more of recovery. I know. I had it done also. A subject we talked about on several occasions. Jon was a strong man. He handled himself with the upmost is grace and diginity.
Thanks John

Jim Young
12-02-2004, 10:41 PM
I remember Jon, it is sad to hear things like this.

Marshall Harrison
12-03-2004, 7:27 AM
I remember Jon from the Pond. I used to enjoy his posts as well as some of the others that posted regularly. I often wonder what happened to them. My sympathies and prayers are with his family.

Terry Hatfield
12-03-2004, 7:56 AM
Out prayers are with his family.

I always enjoyed and learned from Jon's posts. The woodworking world has lost a great friend.

t

Ted Shrader
12-03-2004, 9:30 AM
My condolences to his family. They and Jon will be in our prayers.

Jon's posts on Badger Pond were a "don't miss"

Ted