PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th. of July from north of the border

Tom Leftley
07-04-2010, 9:36 PM
To those of you who are located south of the border, may I extend my wishes for a happy 4th. of July and may I hope that many more are in your future.

I really enjoy this website and the friendly and personal feelings I see expressed here so often.

Again, thank you and may you have a happy and safe holiday from north of the border.

Rod Sheridan
07-05-2010, 8:34 AM
I'll second the above sentiments, sorry to post late however I hope everyone had a great fourth of July holiday.

Regards, Rod.

Ben Davis
07-05-2010, 9:30 AM
I suppose I can't speak for everyone, but my wife and I certainly appreciate the well wishes. I don't think as many people take the day's celebration in the context of it's meaning. That's the way it goes I suppose.

The local radio station read the Declaration of Independence, and it gave me goose bumps. Neat to read since nearly all of us haven't laid eyes on it in quite some time.

Thanks again!

Belinda Barfield
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I suppose I can't speak for everyone, but my wife and I certainly appreciate the well wishes. I don't think as many people take the day's celebration in the context of it's meaning. That's the way it goes I suppose.

The local radio station read the Declaration of Independence, and it gave me goose bumps. Neat to read since nearly all of us haven't laid eyes on it in quite some time.

Thanks again!

I agree with you Ben. I wondered often yesterday how many people stopped to think, or even knew what it took to allow us to celebrate Independence Day. From what I was taught in the public school system it just seemed that a bunch of guys decided they didn't want to be ruled by the Crown anymore, so they wrote up a little declaration, had a little war, and all was well. I don't recall ever being taught that the Revoltionary War was essentially a civil war, or that it tore families apart. I don't recall being taught that neighbors turned against neighbors, properties were confiscated, wives were imprisoned, etc. Our Founding Fathers took a huge risk and imperiled their lives, as so many have done since, so that we can sit around the pool, have BBQ, and complain about how bad we have it here in the good ol' USA. I think we should spend more time on Independence Day remembering how this great nation was created, and thinking on how we can preserve it. I would like to have the Declaration read before every fireworks show. But hey, that's just me.

Sorry, off the soap box now. Thanks northern neighbors!

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2010, 5:21 PM
From what I was taught in the public school system it justed seemed that a bunch of guys decided they didn't want to be ruled by the Crown anymore.

Speaking of the Crown your northern neighbors have had a 9 day visit by the Queen just as a reminder of our connection to it. I think she is in New York city today.

Tom Winship
07-05-2010, 5:35 PM
At church yesterday, we said the Pledge of Allegiance and sang "America the Beautiful" which I thought was a nice touch.

We go to church in Independence, Texas, so July 4th is a special day in more ways than one.

Marko Markovich Jr
07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with you Ben. I wondered often yesterday how many people stopped to think, or even knew what it took to allow us to celebrate Independence Day. From what I was taught in the public school system it just seemed that a bunch of guys decided they didn't want to be ruled by the Crown anymore, so they wrote up a little declaration, had a little war, and all was well. I don't recall ever being taught that the Revoltionary War was essentially a civil war, or that it tore families apart. I don't recall being taught that neighbors turned against neighbors, properties were confiscated, wives were imprisoned, etc. Our Founding Fathers took a huge risk and imperiled their lives, as so many have done since, so that we can sit around the pool, have BBQ, and complain about how bad we have it here in the good ol' USA. I think we should spend more time on Independence Day remembering how this great nation was created, and thinking on how we can preserve it. I would like to have the Declaration read before every fireworks show. But hey, that's just me.

Yes alot more to it than fireworks , nicely said +1