PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit and Delivery - Jeff Nicol Strikes Again

Matt Hutchinson
07-04-2010, 9:26 PM
Jeff Nicol had been working on some fixtures for my big lathe, and instead of having to pay big bucks to have them shipped, he delivered them to my door in person!! (He lives 9 hrs away!) So today I had the pleasure of not only getting my new toys, but meeting Jeff and his wife. It was a fun time, and it was great to be able to shoot the breeze over a beer and meal at a local brewery. I only wish we would have had more time to just stand around yack about woodturning stuff. :D

I even have proof. You can see the hollowing rig, without the arms, in the first one, and the second photo shows my view as I will be hollowing using the trapping rig. The last one shows the bar trapping fixture that will be clamped to the very end of my lathe as I cling to a 2" boring bar while cutting on the 5.5' log under Jeff's foot. Fun times ahead!!!

Hutch

P.S. Pretend the tailstock isn't on the lathe. I didn't feel like slipping a disc in front of guests. :P Also, Jeff did a great job making the whole setup very adjustable and use friendly. Thanks again man!

Tim Rinehart
07-04-2010, 9:31 PM
Hutch,
From what I can tell, you ought to be having fun with that rig...and I suspect Jeff wishes for some time on that big lathe of yours.

Be safe with your project!:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 9:46 PM
Congrats on your new toys....er tools Matt. Aren't creeker visits fun.

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Wow! That's an enormous set up you've got. I'm looking forward to some photos of that beast up and running.

Jeff, it's a little further to Enid, but you and yours are welcome to deliver mine as well.:D

John Keeton
07-05-2010, 7:55 AM
Hutch, I can confirm all my dealings with Jeff are first rate! Super nice guy, with a big heart - not to mention a talented turner and fabricator.

Congrats on the super nice setup, and now it is time to hollow that big ol' log!! I am looking forward to this one!

Thom Sturgill
07-05-2010, 9:19 AM
Congrats, that's some steady rest. I knew Jeff was delivering it as mine was on hold waiting for his return to finish it. Happy 4th!

Matt Hutchinson
07-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Jeff dropped by again this morning before they headed back home. It's always fun to chat with fellow turners!

Yup, the old log will be up on the lathe VERY soon. It may even make it up there today....we'll see. I am so excited that I have to make sure I don't forget to make the boring bar prior to mounting the beast. :rolleyes: Well, time to go to the metal store....

Hutch

David E Keller
07-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Congrats, that's some steady rest. I knew Jeff was delivering it as mine was on hold waiting for his return to finish it. Happy 4th!

We're in the same boat, Thom!

charlie knighton
07-05-2010, 11:21 AM
nice rig, i hope this story will be continued....

Tony De Masi
07-05-2010, 2:31 PM
Very cool Matt...and Jeff or course.

Creeker meetings are fun but they must be real fun when they brings gifts too.

Tony

Matt Ranum
07-05-2010, 2:52 PM
Very cool! I'm sure the real motivation behind the visit was to have a chance at fondling that lathe of yours. That big iron is way cool.
:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2010, 7:48 PM
Matt - congrats on your new tools! Sure look like they should handle that big hollowing job you have planned! Looking forward to watching that turning come to life!

Colleen and I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff last year when we were passing through his area. Great guy - had a lot of fun and hope to get back down there again sometime soon!

Glad you guys were able to spend some time together! That had to have been a lot of fun!

Allen Neighbors
07-05-2010, 8:01 PM
Yeeeee-Hawwww!!! Congratulations!! What a monster rig!!

George Morris
07-05-2010, 8:17 PM
That is a nice hollowing rig and lathe enjoy! G

Jeff Nicol
07-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Matt, We made it back today at a little after 5p.m. and we are beat! The drive to your place and then back to the house on the rock in Spring Green WI took a toll on my back and shoulders. By the time we spent over 4 hours walking through the tours at the house on the rock I was ready for some ice and pain meds! So now my wife is happy she got to see the house on the rock and Matt, you got your new tools! I see you got the log up on the lathe and got it spinning! Progress is a good thing, keep us posted. I just finished responding to and reading 77 e-mails, can someone please tell me why I started making metal things for woodturners? Sure is fun though!

Stay safe and Thank you and Jennifer for the great meal and camaraderie!

Jeff