PDA

View Full Version : Turned Box

Michael Stafford
12-02-2004, 3:07 PM
I have been teaching myself to turn end grain boxes. Some of them are even coming out round. :p :o :eek:

Here is my latest effort involving a very hard wood purported to be " red elm". Very hard wood but it did cut very cleanly. Open pores were difficult to finish.

The box is 3" in diameter and a little less than 4" tall.

Thanks for looking...

Tom Stover
12-02-2004, 3:30 PM
Beautiful box mike. I have made three boxes and none look that good. I'm still putting the tennon on the lid but will change for the next one. Tom

Jack Hogoboom
12-02-2004, 5:19 PM
Mike,

Looks pretty darn good to me!! No way I could do something that nice. Care to share any tips or tricks?

Jack

Michael Stafford
12-02-2004, 6:09 PM
Thanks Jack,

I turned this box and all the others I've turned following the steps outlined in Richard Raffan's book on turning boxes. I wouldn't pretend to be an expert but I have had success attempting to do as he writes. I highly recommend the book if you are interested in turning end grain boxes. One recommendation- I find that good hardwoods make better boxes than any softwoods. I tried some straight grain fir that was very fine and tight grained. Results were not good.

Thanks again. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-02-2004, 6:35 PM
Great Box Mike!

I got Richard Raffan Set of three books for my birthbay, but haven't had time to do more than browse them. I guess I need to turn over a new leaf and Get in there and practice!

Bruce

Jim Becker
12-02-2004, 6:41 PM
Like I said at that "other place"...outstanding, Mike.

Robert Grady
12-02-2004, 7:13 PM
Very nice box Mike, I think I would like to attempt one like that. You mind if I copy your design?

Michael Stafford
12-02-2004, 7:16 PM
Robert, you are certainly welcome to copy the design but I think mine is just an adaptation of similar boxes in the Raffan book so I cannot honestly say it is "my" design. However I am flattered that you wish to copy it. Enjoy.

Robert Grady
12-02-2004, 7:19 PM
Thanks Mike and keep posting pics of your great work.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-02-2004, 9:53 PM
Nice piece of work, Mike. I like the grain on that one, it compliments the shape so well.

Glenn Hodges
12-03-2004, 8:27 AM
Great job Mike!

Ted Shrader
12-03-2004, 9:23 AM
Mike -

Looks like you have the hang of it. Great job!

Ted

Philip Duffy
12-04-2004, 5:51 AM
Very nice finish. What type and how many layers. Use a filler? Phil

Michael Stafford
12-04-2004, 7:22 AM
Thanks Phil, no fillers but several coats, 5 or 6, of thinned mixture of BLO, tung oil and varnish. Finish flooded on, allowed to soak in and buffed dry on lathe. Pores caused bleedback problem so I had to keep wiping to prevent beads from forming. I guess I eventually got them filled as it is nice and smooth.