PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe Mod

Mike Minto
07-04-2010, 8:30 PM
Sure was tired of cranking the handle of the tailstock on my mini-lathe. Accidentally ran across a fix - one of the Beall tools 'how-to' videos showed a mini-lathe with a neat mod or two (some of you guys may have already done this, don't know). Anyway, additional leverage gained by adding to the lathe, as seen in photos. Easy to do, HUGE improvement.

Allen Neighbors
07-04-2010, 8:45 PM
Sure was tired of cranking the handle of the tailstock on my mini-lathe. Accidentally ran across a fix - one of the Beall tools 'how-to' videos showed a mini-lathe with a neat mod or two (some of you guys may have already done this, don't know). Anyway, additional leverage gained by adding to the lathe, as seen in photos. Easy to do, HUGE improvement.

Mike, I've never seen this mod before, but I sure like the idea of it. Looks really good!! Now, I want to copy this, so please tell me how you fastened this to your tailstock wheel... :confused:
I like your addition to the toolrest, also!

Mike Minto
07-04-2010, 8:49 PM
Allen, the addition to the tail stock was kinda done by eye - not too exact. After cutting the 'teardrop' shape of the thing on my bandsaw and sanding it, I found the center spot to drill (screw chuck), and turned a depression for the original handwheel to sit in. The handle on the thing is nylon rod I turned, held in with a bolt. Some adhesive, and there you go. Makes advancing the tailstock much faster, and gives more torque, too.

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 9:10 PM
First the cabinet and now this... It's official, I'm officially lazy and good for nothing. I've got a list of mods and things that I'll do "someday"... Kudos to you for getting them done.

Thom Sturgill
07-04-2010, 9:20 PM
That looks like it would solve another problem I've had. That little handle keeps unscrewing! Another gotta make .... Love this site and you guys.

Mike Minto
07-04-2010, 9:22 PM
That looks like it would solve another problem I've had. That little handle keeps unscrewing! Another gotta make .... Love this site and you guys.

Thom, there is a set-screw that holds the handle in place - have you found that animal?

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 9:49 PM
Mike I haven't seen that mod either but looks like a great mod.

James Combs
07-04-2010, 10:35 PM

A great looking and practical mod Mike.:) Here is an aside question. What do you use the adhesive backed piece of ruler tape on the tail-stock for?:confused:

Mike Minto
07-04-2010, 10:44 PM
A great looking and practical mod Mike.:) Here is an aside question. What do you use the adhesive backed piece of ruler tape on the tail-stock for?:confused:

James, I just use it for quick measurements. I have pieces like this on my big lathe, too, for measuring less than an inch to a couple of inches, with calipers. The numbers don't mean anything, just the ability to get accurate, small scale measurements.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-05-2010, 3:41 AM
Tired of creep? I got a pair of T-nuts from Monster Lathe. $35, pricey, but worth the money to keep the TS and banjo from wandering around......

No affiliation with them at all.

Jim Underwood
07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I guess I didn't follow how this was fastened to the old hand wheel. :confused:

Does it just set onto the old one because of the depression you turned? Or do you actually use a fastener of some sort?

Jay Allen
07-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Looks like some double sided tape or maybe even some CA would do it.

Michael Short
07-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Both are great ideas. Thanks for posting.

Allen Neighbors
07-05-2010, 2:19 PM
I guess I didn't follow how this was fastened to the old hand wheel. :confused:

Does it just set onto the old one because of the depression you turned? Or do you actually use a fastener of some sort?

Jim, he said he used some adhesive... I would guess silicone home welder stuff.
Thanks, Mike!

Mike Minto
07-06-2010, 4:41 PM
Jim, he said he used some adhesive... I would guess silicone home welder stuff.
Thanks, Mike!

Yep - Shoe-goo! Just like a silicone adhesive :p

Mike Minto
07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Tired of creep? I got a pair of T-nuts from Monster Lathe. $35, pricey, but worth the money to keep the TS and banjo from wandering around......

No affiliation with them at all.

Kyle, you know, I have them, too. Have found them to eliminate creep when I get them screwed in just right, but have a hard time getting the sweet-spot 'setting' - either too loose, or too difficult to move the tailstock.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-12-2010, 1:48 PM
Do you lube your locking lever assy? I used to lube mine, and could not get the lock to stay locked. So I cleaned out the cam/lever assy, and now it cinches down tight. And stays locked.

Mike Minto
07-12-2010, 2:40 PM
nope, i don't - but i will wipe it off and see what happens, thanks.

Keith Outten
07-12-2010, 5:28 PM
Tail stock slipping on the Jet Mini Lathe is best corrected by replacing the round threaded washer under the ways with a rectangular block that provides more surface contact. A longer handle is just a short term fix. Check out the picture below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2055&d=1062272265

Mike Minto
07-12-2010, 9:00 PM
Tail stock slipping on the Jet Mini Lathe is best corrected by replacing the round threaded washer under the ways with a rectangular block that provides more surface contact. A longer handle is just a short term fix. Check out the picture below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2055&d=1062272265

Yes, I know about the mod - as I said above, I've already done that. Just don't have the adjustment correct, yet. And I find the longer handle more than just a 'short term fix'. Easier to grip, and more leverage there, too.

Allen Neighbors
07-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Mike, I have the Tailstock Wheel Modification finished on my Little Vic, now... Thanks for that idea... Great Mod!
(I know... I know.... I'll get pics someday... too busy right now...)