PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Cabinet - hey, I turned the knobs!

Mike Minto
07-04-2010, 8:21 PM
Needed more space (a familiar refrain?). Saw other's lathe cabinets - viola. Not so good - I'm no cabinet maker - each drawer about 4" in depth (other's always look bigger - don't know how), cabinet on left about 15" square. Also, a good 225/250 pounds of sand in the bottom space and two front legs now resting on concrete piers under the wood floor. May do the same to the back two legs, not sure. Sprayed with Jet White paint.

Roger Chandler
07-04-2010, 8:30 PM
Really nice cabinet Mike! Good job on the knobs as well...

Allen Neighbors
07-04-2010, 8:48 PM
Mike, you've really been busy!! And it does look to me like you're a cabinet maker. Nice knobs, also. :)

Nate Davey
07-04-2010, 8:53 PM
Nice cabinet Mike, I also like the lathe :D. I was looking doing something similar, now I'll look like a "Johnny come lately".

Ted Calver
07-04-2010, 9:00 PM
Neat looking set up Mike. Well done.

Mike Minto
07-04-2010, 9:03 PM
Nice cabinet Mike, I also like the lathe :D. I was looking doing something similar, now I'll look like a "Johnny come lately".

Hey, Nate - as I said, this is not an original design - if you make one, just don't show it to us :D - you won't look like a copy-kat that way!

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 9:06 PM
It looks good to me... I assume 4" in depth is a reference to the height of each drawer otherwise I don't think you gained much storage space.:D

Did you use runners or drawer slides for the drawers? I've been contemplating something like this as well.

Mike Minto
07-04-2010, 9:09 PM
It looks good to me... I assume 4" in depth is a reference to the height of each drawer otherwise I don't think you gained much storage space.:D

Did you use runners or drawer slides for the drawers? I've been contemplating something like this as well.

David, yes, I meant height - kinda short, I think - maybe the 1.25" space between each drawer is a little too much. The drawers are about 17" deep. All I did was glue/brad nail three 1" pieces of hard wood, evenly spaced, under each drawer for it to be supported by. The thought of runners or store-bought glides was just too much for me - more time away from turning :p!.

Nate Davey
07-04-2010, 9:12 PM
Hey, Nate - as I said, this is not an original design - if you make one, just don't show it to us :D - you won't look like a copy-kat that way!

I'll just paint it another color, problem solved.

Thom Sturgill
07-04-2010, 9:14 PM
Looks good. I made the mistake of putting in too many drawers. Most are too shallow to be of much use.

George Morris
07-04-2010, 9:32 PM
Mike very nice! Looks like it will work well!
When I made mine I found out that you need to close up the bottom or it is a pain to clean up under there! G

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 9:41 PM
Mike that is a great looking cabinet. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2010, 7:39 PM
Very nice work Mike! Real clean design! Using Jet paint color was a nice touch as well!

Mike Minto
07-05-2010, 8:37 PM
Mike very nice! Looks like it will work well!
When I made mine I found out that you need to close up the bottom or it is a pain to clean up under there! G

Air compressor to the rescue. How do you guys keep your "drawers" clean (no pun intended - yuck!)? As I turn , the cabinet becomes swamped with shavings, and every time I want to open a drawer to get something, I have to spray it off with air, else it would fill with wood debris. :confused:.

Tom Sherman
07-05-2010, 8:44 PM
Mike hang an old window shade on the front, when you turn pull it down, when you need access to the drawers let it up.

Nate Davey
07-05-2010, 8:46 PM
Air compressor to the rescue. How do you guys keep your "drawers" clean (no pun intended - yuck!)? As I turn , the cabinet becomes swamped with shavings, and every time I want to open a drawer to get something, I have to spray it off with air, else it would fill with wood debris. :confused:.

That was a question I was working on while building mine. I've seen one with doors that close in front of the drawers and I'm going to build mine so they slide entirely into carcass, so the top of the box will cover them. An easy fix would be a piece of clothe that you could hang over the drawers while turning. Maybe something with flowers would be nice.

Chris Stolicky
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Good job. You will be happy with the additional and convenient storage.