PDA

View Full Version : I cut down the apple tree one day

Philip Johnson
07-04-2010, 6:36 PM
I had a dead apple tree in the yard so cut it down and saved a few pieces for a rainy day. I also had a timberwolf band mill blade for the band saw...one mean looking blade collecting dust in the shop. I threw it on the band saw and sliced up the apple tree. I am impressed with the timber wolf blade. It sliced thru the 6 to 8 inch logs like butter as fast as I could feed it.
First time posting pics so we'll see if the work. The wood is actually kind of nice looking, maybe I can get enough for a few small boxes.

Phil

glenn bradley
07-04-2010, 6:59 PM
Pretty looking stuff. I had not paid much attention to apple wood. I will now. Thanks.

Bill Huber
07-04-2010, 7:49 PM
That is some nice looking wood, it is hard or more on the soft side?

I do think you need a bigger band saw if you are going to be resawing all that wood:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Philip Johnson
07-04-2010, 8:29 PM
Some of it was kind of soft so probably just throw that but the other stuff was pretty hard. It seemed hard when I cut it with the miter saw but the band saw went right threw it. A quick google search says its pretty hard like oak but the swirly gain makes it warp easily. Its pretty dry been dead a few years so we will see what happens after it sits a while. I just wanted to see if I could it make some lumber out of a log and it worked pretty good. I will be looking for more now kind of gives you a satisfaction turning scrap into lumber.

Yeah Bill the saw is probably 3 times the saw I need, I set out to get the MM16 and the good folks here talked me into a 20 and when I went to get the 20 they were out of stock for 3 months so MM made me an offer I could not refuse on the MM24. So far I have not needed anything larger, should last me a while. I do need to use it more.

Phil

Bill Huber
07-04-2010, 8:39 PM
Some of it was kind of soft so probably just throw that but the other stuff was pretty hard. It seemed hard when I cut it with the miter saw but the band saw went right threw it. A quick google search says its pretty hard like oak but the swirly gain makes it warp easily. Its pretty dry been dead a few years so we will see what happens after it sits a while. I just wanted to see if I could it make some lumber out of a log and it worked pretty good. I will be looking for more now kind of gives you a satisfaction turning scrap into lumber.

Yeah Bill the saw is probably 3 times the saw I need, I set out to get the MM16 and the good folks here talked me into a 20 and when I went to get the 20 they were out of stock for 3 months so MM made me an offer I could not refuse on the MM24. So far I have not needed anything larger, should last me a while. I do need to use it more.

Phil

I would like to see what it will look like when sanded with some finish on it, it has to be really good looking stuff.

C Scott McDonald
07-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Neat! Good to see it didnt meet the fireplace!

Scott