PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd post a Few More

wes murphy
07-04-2010, 5:21 PM
Here are some other bowls I've done recently. I really like the simple utilitarian bowl ... because I can't do HF yet and dont know that i will. My finish is usually a spin or 2 of EEE then several coats of Waterlox. I'm starting to lean away from the high gloss finishes in favor of a soft luster.

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2010, 5:42 PM
Some interesting piece Wes! Really like the Cherry bowl! Keep turning! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Frank Van Atta
07-04-2010, 5:48 PM
Some interesting pieces; first spittoon I've seen in a while.:D Is the first one Black Locust?

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 5:50 PM
Nicely done. I really like the way the grain on the last one seems to twist around the piece.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 6:10 PM
Really nice pieces. Well done.

John Keeton
07-04-2010, 6:11 PM
Nice work, Wes, and I am getting like you on the bowls - soft finish! What are the species on these - I picked up on the cherry, but the pics are a little fuzzy.

wes murphy
07-04-2010, 6:20 PM
Nice work, Wes, and I am getting like you on the bowls - soft finish! What are the species on these - I picked up on the cherry, but the pics are a little fuzzy.
I really don't know what the species are. The rough blanks were given to me and the friend couldn't remember what they are. the roughouts were very non-descript and it was a surprise on everyone i turned. I had thoughts the second one might be box elder, but that only a guess and the third one might be elm, but wood identification is not my strong suite yet.

Allen Neighbors
07-04-2010, 7:58 PM
Nice ones, Wes!! First one looks like Mulberry to me.... or maybe Osage Orange, but I really lean towards Mulberry.
Second one looks like Elder, and the third on is a mystery, but I really love that swirling grain!!

Rich Aldrich
07-04-2010, 8:55 PM
Wes,

Nice work. I really like the shape of the third one. The first one has real interesting grain and contrast.

Tom Sherman
07-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Wes I think you have the bug, and are making the best of it. Nice looking bowls all. the third on reminds me of a 'Thunder Bowl', please don't be offended.