PDA

View Full Version : cleaning chucks and jaws

Hilel Salomon
07-04-2010, 5:17 PM
I just finished cleaning one chuck and its jaws, and it was way too tedious. I have so many here and in Virginia that I was wondering if there were a quicker way???? Would soaking them in kerosene remove some of the rust on the jaws??

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2010, 5:46 PM
Rust? Haven't had that problem yet but doubt that kerosene would touch it. I know they have a number of products that will remove rust and you may have to check into something that you can soak the jaws in and then clean. Hope you find something that works - can't be fun using rusty tools! I know I used some organic form of rust remover and it worked pretty good - as long as it was a light surface rust! Pretty sure I still have the bottle down in the shop - if you want the product name.

John Keeton
07-04-2010, 6:14 PM
Evaporust - buy it at the auto parts store or Walmart. Very environmentally friendly, non caustic, and reusable. Takes about 30 minutes, and then rinse off with water quickly. Do not let the parts be partially submerged - you will get a rust line. And, do not let them sit out in the air after removing them from the Evaporust - rinse immediately.

Works great, lasts dang near forever. I bought it to restore handplanes, and I filter it through cheese cloth back into the gallon container for reuse.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 6:19 PM
I do pretty much what John does Hilel. One extra step I use is I rinse them off with hot water and then I rinse with DNA which displaces the water so there won't be anymore rust. I wash my clock parts with a water based cleaner, rinse with water and then DNA. Been doing it for years now with no rust.

Rich Aldrich
07-04-2010, 7:35 PM
For rust, I have found Boeshield works great. I havent had much trouble with rust, only on my tablesaw when I put a can of pop on the saw and had issues - only happen twice.

This stuff works great for the lathe bed and bandsaw when working with wet blanks. You still shouldnt to leave shavings, sawdust, etc on the equipment that is wet, but it sure helps if you get interupted and dont get back right away.

Allen Neighbors
07-04-2010, 8:11 PM
Hilel, I never heard of Evaporust, and I can say that I'm going to try it as soon as I get to Wallyworld again.
I've always used diesel fuel... keep a can in my garden shed all the time.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but.... Bernie, I have some clocks that I brought back from Germany. I take the works out once a year, and submerge them in a can of diesel fuel for a few hours, then blow the fuel out, and put them back in the case. Keeps them clean and lubricated pretty well. I've been doing this to them for about 25 to 30 years. What do you think? Am I doing okay? or am I messing something up?

Hilel Salomon
07-04-2010, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have rust problems in both my shops. Here, in Columbia, my shop is a converted basement, and when I'm not here running the dehumidifier, it gets damp. I have to empty out 40 pints a day.

In Virginia, I have another problem. The shop is right over an underground spring and it too gets damp. I normally keep my other tools rust free, but allowed the jaws to get surface rust. The chucks are just dirty.

Thanks again,

Hilel.

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 8:15 PM
I've picked up a couple of ideas from this thread. Thanks for starting it, Hilel.

How do you keep them from rusting again? I know many use powdered graphite as a lubricant, but is there anything else you do after cleaning them?

Michael Mills
07-04-2010, 9:37 PM
Hilel,
I use a product called Ospho. They list distributors on their web site (Ace or True Value are on the list I know)
I would disassemble and clean the grease and gunk first.
Ospho chemically changes iron oxide (rust) to iron phosphate. I put it in a spray bottle and just lightly wet the surface. When it turn black, the rust isn’t rust any more. Just go over surfaces with steel wood to smooth rough areas.
I also use a product called Dry Lube instead of grease for lubrication. It is graphite it an aerosol carrier. When the carrier evaporates you are left with graphite coating which doesn’t collect dust like grease will. Don’t use it on the ways, I did and had to clean it off, it was so slick I could hardly lock down the banjo. Other products may be better at preventing future rust.
Along that line…Does anyone know where to buy the little bags of stuff or the brown paper included with some tool to keep them from rusting? A woodworking store here carried sheets of the paper stuff that I lined the drawers for hand tools with. About 25 years and still no rust. If anyone know what this is and where to buy it I would like to know.
You could put a partial sheet or packet in a ziplock with the chuck and it should do a lot to keep the rust away.
Mike

Neil Strong
07-05-2010, 12:48 AM
If you have a cheap source of molasses (eg from stock feed supplier) and not in a hurry it will do the job. We got our raw molasses from the local sugar mill when I was a kid, so real cheap.

You could experiment with the baking quality molasses available from the supermarket, but a bit more expensive than when bought as stock feed.

If I remember correctly the mix was about 1:10 with water, maybe a bit more concentrated than that. Completely submerge your chucks in the solution and leave for a week. When you remove from the solution immediately wash thoroughly and dry (DNA or WD-40).

Alan Zenreich
07-05-2010, 6:31 AM
If you have one in your area, Harbor freight carries Evapo-Rust.

Jake Helmboldt
07-05-2010, 8:46 AM
Another vote for Evapo-Rust. I got it at the auto parts store and use it for planes and chisels.

Karl Card
07-05-2010, 4:12 PM
I too have a shop in the basement and I have leaned towards this oil that comes from asia and I know it is sold at woodcraft but the writing on the bottle is in an asian language and all I can tell you is that I like it alot. If you leave any that touches wood it doesnt seem to change the color of the wood. So far I use it on my TS, planer, BS, MS, both lathes, and chuck.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-05-2010, 5:49 PM
I just finished cleaning one chuck and its jaws, and it was way too tedious. I have so many here and in Virginia that I was wondering if there were a quicker way???? Would soaking them in kerosene remove some of the rust on the jaws??

I have no rust on my chucks, but I always thought that Coke would take the rust of of a rusty nail, should work on larger pieces I'd think :).

David Woodruff
07-05-2010, 7:09 PM
I thought most chucks were stainless steel. What make is your chuck as a cutiosity? Take it all apart and soak in naval jelly. If you try it let me how it comes out. I do that with my metal lathe jaws.

David E Keller
07-05-2010, 8:16 PM
I gotten rust on my Oneway talon chuck, but the humidity here is usually between 99.5 and 100%. I've noticed a little on my grizzly chuck as well.