PDA

View Full Version : Suggested 8' T5 Strips

Jonathan Spool
07-04-2010, 5:16 PM
I am about ready to order the lighting in my new shop. I will need around 29 8' two row strips (4 T5 bulbs each). In the past I have had nothing but trouble with the cheap big box lighting strips, so I won't go that route again. I would appreciate recommendations of a basic 8' T5 strip fixture that comes with good ballasts. as I have 8' ceilings I don't require reflectors, and the strips will be surface mounted.

John Lanciani
07-04-2010, 7:58 PM
Are you sure that you want T5's? They're not typically reccommended for 8' ceilings, typically 14' or more because the light is very harsh, especially without reflectors. T8's would probably be a better choice for low ceilings. You're on the right track avoiding the big box stores, find an industrial electrical supply house and buy whatever brand they reccommend for having the least number of warranty returns.

Chris Damm
07-05-2010, 7:24 AM
How big is your shop? I have 9-2 lamp 8' T12s in my 625 sq. ft. shop with 9' ceilings and it's brighter than outside on a sunny day! When I bought my fixtures I found that they were the same price at my local electrical supply store and the big boxes but the bulbs were 1/3 the cost.

Jonathan Spool
07-05-2010, 1:06 PM
My shop has a main area of 38x46, plus has a storage area of 19x11, so 1958 sq ft in total. I like a lot of light, but does anyone else think the t5's will be too harsh? Anyone using T5's at 8' height?